Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Notice: Profane Language NOT TOLERATED On This Forum!

74 posts in this topic

NOTICE:

PROFANE LANGUAGE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

From this point foward, any member found using profane language (or something that represents such), using symbols or other characters, to get around the automatic censors, or using vulgar or any other language to insult another member(s), will have their posting privledes immediately suspended for 3 months.

sounds like a good idea to me

That is Ridiculous. Wait there is a bad word in there. Come on Seth if there is not actual cursing who cares? Why don't you take a poll and see who it offends. Seriously. I know what you are going to say but you want us to voice our opinion so here is my OPINION.

I also have to say that I think that's a bit over the top. As long as its not directed towards someone in an offensive manner its not that big of a deal nor do I notice it often. I've even used it in posts when I felt that the gravity of the situation warranted it. Whether some like it or not it is more vocabulary then it is profanity anymore at this point.

What defines profanity and profaine language?

Well, since it is a privately owned website, I would have to say the Website owner gets to dictate what is and is not profane. Ultimately he pays the bills, so what he says goes. If he says profanity will not be tolerated, i for one will respect his wishes. It is the least I can do after using this tremendous resource.

If Seth doesn't want cursing or the modified illusion of cursing on the board, then that should be respected.

In all honesty, do we really need to curse or *&$%#^ to get our point across. Just say what you have to say and be done with it.

Think of it this way. If you say "I just cant tell you how disappointed I am in your behavior" OR I just cant tell you how ^&%$##ing disappointed I am in your behavior" it's not the curse word that hits at home. It is the word "disappointed" that feels like a dagger through the heart.

As I grow older (a whopping 30 y/o) I find that I'm even disappointed at myself after I've dropped the F-bomb or gratuitously curse. I used to curse up a storm. But now it seems like I'm diluting how important my point is when I'm throwing random F-bombs in there....

We've become too comfortable as a society with profane language as a part of everyday life. Curse words have lost their emphasis in fact. So now in a random conversation about fire trucks, baseball teams, or how many beers we drank the night before, we tend to throw curses in just for the sake of it.

I have found that people take you more seriously when you can make a stinging point in conversation/argument without resorting to curse words.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Doesn't mean they’re right

Edited by mfc2257

What words are we constituting as "profane" exactly? Not trying to be a smartalec, but some words carry alittle more weight than others, vis a vis, the "A" word.

10-4 it's about time a group of professionals started sounding like professionals.

The english language is a wonderful thing. You can probaly tell somebody to go someplace and to do something to themselves and still be very gentle about it. So, barring profane language is fine with me.

Seriously ***, we're all used to these words, it's almost mainstream vocabulary and if it's not directed at someone, what's the big deal; it's a part of life and the way us blue colar folk talk in the real world.

wonder if this guy was suspended?!? :lol:

Can we at least install a spell check as well??

I also have to say that I think that's a bit over the top. As long as its not directed towards someone in an offensive manner its not that big of a deal nor do I notice it often. I've even used it in posts when I felt that the gravity of the situation warranted it. Whether some like it or not it is more vocabulary then it is profanity anymore at this point.

I agree with ALS and Medic.

I totally understand that this is Seth's site...but Seth chose to make it a public forum, so to monitor each individual and punish them if they say a bad word seems a lil bit extreme to me. I think we had a similar topic to this in the past, and I made a comment about these rules making many of us feel like 10 year olds. Now, I can see maybe how you dont want the "F" word spelled out all over the place...but if we use some words like (and I'm ONLY USING THIS AS AN EXAMPLE!!!) damn or some others that are more "vulgar" as the "poop" word, I think it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if we "edit" them with certain symbols, which I feel even that shouldnt necessary.

Yes, its YOUR site Seth, and yes, WE should all respect your rules....but to censor what or how I really feel about something is ridiculous. As ALS said, sometimes its warranted...

I hope I dont have to go sit in the corner for all the past curse words I said... :blink: joking!!!

If you need to use extreme profanity to express yourselves, and can't talk respectfully to other members, then you need to find another forum. If you can't express yourselves without using profanity, then you have other issues to deal with. There's no need for it, and the use of it on a forum only adds to hostility and tension in this kind of enviroment.

I used to tolerate it somewhat, but certain members chose to lace their posts with an extreme amount of profanity and vulgar language, especially directed at other members and also used symbols to intentionally break the profantiy rule of this forum. It was getting out of control, so the members who chose to abuse and push it caused this policy to go into effect.

Seth, as a high school student, you wouldn't believe how many swear words I hear. My 9th grade History teacher said my class had the dirtiest mouths in all his years of teaching and he was up in his 50's! Luckily, a family member works at the school, and she would KILL me if I swore. I gotta say how many times I swear depends on what happened. If I made a mistake sure I'll wisper to myself a explicit word. Sorry, but being a teen swearing is sort of unavoidable at times. Although I DO try not to swear.

I hope swearing will stop on this forum.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

wonder if this guy was suspended?!? :lol:

oh wow, he was suspended :unsure:

This conversation reminds me of Ronald Reagan in his second debate with Walter Mondale (yes...many of you were not alive then....) when he said "I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

One does get to the point where profane language is a barrier, not a measure of ones "character".

As Shakespeare said in Hamlet, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

If you're complaining about the inability to choose different words, amazon probably has a real deal on a thesaurus for you....

Let's come here to learn from each other, not just to spew.

understandable firm opinions about the cursing...keeping it clean is ok with me...

Doin one heck of a job with the site Seth...

Don't let the complaints drag you down!

JC

sounds like a good idea to me.

Growing up in a young genoraiton, cursing comes almost natural (unfortunatly)....so natural that the curse is not even used in the correct sentence sometimes. It seems like explicit words are part of the english language these days. Growing up with 3 older brothers, going to work with dad, hanging out with the guys is just the perfect combo for someone to use bad language....its almost like it was tought to me unintentionally over the years. Maybee if SOME people set better examples in front of their kids, the next generation would not have dirt mouths on them or whatever you want to call it. What do I know, Im not a parent, Im 16....but its only common sence. Being that this is the internet, young guys can visit this site, I think its a good idea the bad language is being cut down.

My 2cents1.gif

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

If you're complaining about the inability to choose different words, amazon probably has a real deal on a thesaurus for you....

Let's come here to learn from each other, not just to spew.

So if one uses "obsene language", are you saying that they are stupid???

I'll respect the forum creator's policy, as I dont curse in my posts anyway (at least, I dont believe I ever had), but I also feel that these restrictions on how members are allowed or not allowed to talk on a public discussion board becomes childish. You might say that cursing is childish, but remember what field you're in...what did you think, that we'd be reciting Hamlet in the firehouse kitchen???

Sorry if it offends anyone, as I respect all inquiries, but thats how I feel.

Keep up the good work, Seth

AH POOP! (LOL)

Edited by hudson144

Quite frankly, I think it's about time this was done. A while back, there was a thread on here that basically said to write your posts as if you were talking to a bunch of people in person. I don't think that everybody, while I'm well aware that there are some who do, talk in normal conversation using profanity as every other word in a sentence. Remember, this forum is basically open to the public. How many of you will get in a loud conversation at Inspection dinners and other functions where politicians, both male and female, Clergy, perhaps family members of a Chief or commissioner and every other word is vulgar? The language I believe Seth refers to for the most part looks highly unprofessional. Ok, I admit I've used a few of the "lesser" curse words (hell and damn come to mind, but I know I really don't need that to get a point across. With that said, Seth, I think you made a good decision here. JMHO

I didn't know that everyone had VIRGIN eyes and ears. Way too sensitive if you think cursing is wrong. I curse all the time. It doesn't make me stupid it just happens to be a habit. If it is the only way to stay on the forum then NO PROB.

I can perfectly understand the reasoning for banning the use of profanity on here.

While I am sure many might use it and tends to be a way of life for some. No harm intended, I guess, but its become a part of some people.

There are many other places on the internet, where this is not tolerated either.

Its difficult enough sometimes, when someone gets on here with their "attitude" and you can just hear the way they are talking. Some are very harsh, not even using profanity.

Keep up the good work EMT Bravo and do what you feel is in everyone's best interests!

Tuna ;)

What defines profanity and profaine language?

Excellent question. It's highly cultural. Some cultures/languages use sacred as profane Great Heavens!, others body parts, or reference to copulatory or excretory function. What constitutes profane has to do with the bug a boos of different societies. Insults, on the other hand, the grown up version of the epithet almost all suggest that the individual has failed meet with local custom or that their immediate ancestors have not negotiated a marriage contract prior to engaging in reproductive activities.

Curiously, intimate contact with farm animals is not the basis of either epithets or insults, probably in that either the linguistic invention of profanity pre-existed domestication of sheep or that interactions with livestock were a lot more common and not considered out of the ordinary. I'm not sure we can debate the issue here without running afoul of regulations.

Profanity, at its essence, is an expression of anger or shock that takes up space while we get our thoughts together. It serves a better place in conversation, which has an element of spontaneity than it does in written discourse, where we ought to take the time to choose our words, or at least edit before we hit 'send.' My objection to salty language, if there is one, is it reflects emotion, not intellect. I'm not interested THAT someone is angry, but in WHY someone is angry. And like salt, its effect is diminished with overuse.

A joke: [i made it up myself, let's see if it gets through...] Scrabble is played around the world, but the letter sets have to be language specific. 'Q's are worth 10 points in English, but only one point in Spanish and one gets only a point for using a 'Z' in French. [This is all true.] That said, the Scrabble company made up a special scrabble set for the fire service......

It has 38 'C's, 38 'F's, 38 'K's and 38 'U's. "Ooh, Ooh, I can spell something!"

Although I had to read CKroll's post about intimate contact with farm animals several times to try to find any relevance to cursing on the site, I found none.

I must say that no FARM ANIMALS were harmed durring the posts to this thread. Though some were sleeping,smoking and or basking in afterglow.

As for cursing on the site, I think that is up to the Administrator.

The F word is accepted in fire house culture, so why not here. The chaplin of my department said he looks around if he doesn't hear it dropped in the first five minutes to make sure he is in the firehouse. I believe that if you drop an "occasional" curse, it is acceptable, but constant vulgarity should not be tollerated. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by pjreilly