Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajsbear

Westchester Airport Overcrowding And Evacuation

9 posts in this topic

Yesterday my family and I took a trip out of Westchester Airport and what I saw deeply disturbed and worried me. The area past security was so crowded it was way past dangerous and the TSA people were contilually pushing people in. To say the area was over capacity was an understatement. It was to the point you could not move to get to a gate. Pushing a stroller took 5 minutes to get from one side to the other when they annouced which gate our plane was leaving from. With the amount of traffic going through this airport and if one or 2 planes are delayed I can see this happens more and more. Doesn't this worry the departments who respond to the airport? Evacuation of the terminal building safely is impossible.

We won't discuss the rude behavior of the airport employee's and the airline personel or the TSA. All said it was not their responsability or problem and pushed it off on each other.

Wow.....sorry to hear about that mess..

My family and I flew out of and into Westchester last month and it was nothign short of fantastic!

I too had a great experience recently, but understand your complaint. It is way too crowded during peak times.

You know however, that they will never again get permission to expand due to all the Nimby's that came to town well after the airport! I shudder everytime I hear any agency dispatched for any event at the airport...it is just a matter of time before trajedy strikes.

Yesterday my family and I took a trip out of Westchester Airport and what I saw deeply disturbed and worried me. The area past security was so crowded it was way past dangerous and the TSA people were contilually pushing people in. To say the area was over capacity was an understatement. It was to the point you could not move to get to a gate. Pushing a stroller took 5 minutes to get from one side to the other when they annouced which gate our plane was leaving from. With the amount of traffic going through this airport and if one or 2 planes are delayed I can see this happens more and more. Doesn't this worry the departments who respond to the airport? Evacuation of the terminal building safely is impossible.

We won't discuss the rude behavior of the airport employee's and the airline personel or the TSA. All said it was not their responsability or problem and pushed it off on each other.

Wow - I'm really surprised to hear that the Airport employees were rude. When I worked there a few years ago, there were times that the airline and security personnel weren't all that friendly, but the Airport Operations staff were a great bunch of guys (and I know some of them that are still there, and who continue to be great guys !!!)

Edited by emt301

Wow - I'm really surprised to hear that the Airport employees were rude. When I worked there a few years ago, there were times that the airline and security personnel weren't all that friendly, but the Airport Operations staff were a great bunch of guys (and I know some of them that are still there, and who continue to be great guys !!!)

I doubt very much that any of the Ops people were in the departure lounge especially if it was packed. TSA or airline people being rude is part of the job description.

You are right, they are not prepared to evacuate the terminal in an emergnecy. But try getting the Rye Fire Inspector into a county building or get the county "fire inspector" over there. Lotsa luck

I doubt very much that any of the Ops people were in the departure lounge especially if it was packed. TSA or airline people being rude is part of the job description.

You are right, they are not prepared to evacuate the terminal in an emergnecy. But try getting the Rye Fire Inspector into a county building or get the county "fire inspector" over there. Lotsa luck

RYE FIRE INSPECTOR? AIRPORT IS RYE BROOK HARRISON AND ARMONK AND NOT WHITE PLAINS! :o

I can't agree with you more! I flew out of Westchester Monday Morning and it was CRAZY! I could not believe the amount of people in that small area. There was no seating room and people were a**'s to elbows.

RYE FIRE INSPECTOR? AIRPORT IS RYE BROOK HARRISON AND ARMONK AND NOT WHITE PLAINS! :o

But I bet the Rye Highway Superintendent would be available... :lol:

I can't agree with you more! I flew out of Westchester Monday Morning and it was CRAZY! I could not believe the amount of people in that small area. There was no seating room and people were a**'s to elbows.

With snowbird season approaching and JetBlue flying non-stop to South Florida it is only going to get busier. I say the hell with the trees and expand the airport and the runway. People who bought houses near an airport in a county close to NYC should of realized there could be growth potential.