Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Check out the helmets used by Greek FF

19 posts in this topic

I just ran across this article on msnbc. These helmets look like something out of Star Wars.

Greece Fires

The helmets are Gallet's now owned by MSA. They are commonly used in France and the UK for structural firefighting. In France there is a different model Gallet used for wildland firefighting. I have both models in my collection. In Canada, I am aware of Quebec City that uses the Gallet structural helmet as there helmet.

Mark Bindman

Montreal, Canada

www.firebuff.

wasn't there a company that tried to sell those here in the states during the 90's??

I know of a few departments in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania area who use them, here is one of their websites:

http://www.sewyco-fc.org/

Edited by jdwes32

they are pretty ugly to our standards but i am willing to bet that they are a lot safer than the traditional "new yorker" fire helmet.

The eye/face protection is pretty impressive. On the link I just posted, navigate the site a little and you will see some shots of them in use and their functionability.

They also have an interesting piece on what it costs to outfit a Firefighter(Soup to Nuts)....no pun intended

Looks like they Stole a few of Lucas' Stormtrooper helmets and coated them in bronze and got rid of the face piece.

Mike

I would be willing to give them a try, just to see how they compare, if I could get myself to stop doing the Darth Vader impersonations once I put it on.

I would be willing to give them a try, just to see how they compare, if I could get myself to stop doing the Darth Vader impersonations once I put it on.

Breath

Power of the Darkside

Hello from Spain.Here almost all firefigthers and some emergency medical services,have in use this helmet.This have a safety googles hidden and a gold visor for fire radiations.This helmet is very light (1,2Kg) and have many optional items.Greetings from Spain.

post-3048-1188342020.jpg

post-3048-1188342073.jpg

post-3048-1188342089.jpg

these helmets look really cool but i don't know if i would use them, they don't provide any protection to the scalding hot water falling from the ceiling, its going to go right down your jacket. what do you guy's use to prevent that with those types of helmets?

wasn't there a company that tried to sell those here in the states during the 90's??

There was, I believe the helmet was called Fire Knight...similar to these helmets, including the faceshield that retracts into the helmet, like a pilots helmet sort of. I agree with another post also, about the protection the traditionals offer in regards to the dripping hot water/ash that will fall down your coat. Otherwise I think its a nice helmet.

There was a guy from Verplank that had one of those helmets. They scored pretty high on the NFPA scale for protection. I think I would give it a try too see how much visibilty I would have. because as some of us know those New Yorkers,1010's and the new 1040's could be pretty heavy on the head.

Perhaps this is what Europeans consider to be "traditional" because it looks like what they wore in the times of kings and knights... Just a thought.

Perhaps this is what Europeans consider to be "traditional" because it looks like what they wore in the times of kings and knights... Just a thought.

Could be. I do remember seeing a picture of a London Fire Brigade helmet that was kinda like these, but it also had the old High Ridge from front to back, without the old traditional lip off the rear. It did kinda look like a knight's helmet. I'll see if I can find the pic.

In the UK, you hear very little about tradition or brother hood. My grandfather was a firefighter in WW2 and stayed on until the mid 70's when he retired and my brother is an airport firefighter and a retained (paid on call) firefighter. AFAIK, the 'rules' are set by central government and county government. Also, the majority, if not all stations belong to a Country Brigade.

Some interesting items on ebay

This is the type of helmet in the 70's and 80's.

1a73_1.JPG94c5_1.JPG

Here's more like the helmet they use in the UK now:3dd9_1.JPG

Here's a real old one ..... 721c_1.JPG

and while we're at it .... 2443_1.JPG

Hello from Spain.Here almost all firefigthers and some emergency medical services,have in use this helmet.This have a safety googles hidden and a gold visor for fire radiations.This helmet is very light (1,2Kg) and have many optional items.Greetings from Spain.

I know Morning Pride is working on something similar for their helmets and they may already be for sale.....Traditional Morning Pride helmet with slide down face protection from within the shell. Meant to comply with ANSI and OSHA better than the Bourke flip downs most of us are used to

I can't help it, but a neighboring town used to wear the Gallet helmets and whenever they arrived on scene we'd call them the "Space Balls Crew". Most everyone would give them a "Nanoo Nanoo" or the Spock Vulcan hand sign. Their new chief bought all new traditional style helmets and their morale and turnout is up. Who knows maybe they didn't like be the odd men out?