Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Out Of Towners NYPD Welcome To NYC

24 posts in this topic

So, my wife's cousins, ages 7, 14, and 17 came to town from Colorado with their mother to watch NY Baseball as their combined birthday gifts.

After a nighttime Yankees game, they catch a cab back to their hotel room in Manhattan. During the trip, the cab becomes involved in an accident in a sketchy dark neighborhood in the Bronx. The cab driver gets into an intense verbal altercation with the other driver, and eventually, after several minutes, a cop shows up.

With the cab being undriveable, the cabbie informs my family that he's unable to get them to their destination. So, here they are, in the middle of some scary South Bronx neighboorhod, and no other cabs are coming by.

So, my aunt asks the cop on scene how she could safely get her and her boys back to their hotel room. The cops has major attitude and sounds annoyed and says "It's not my problem". So she asks where she can get another cab. He points and directs her three blocks in another direction, but cautions her that she'll probaly get mugged on the way and might not get a cab for a while. She asks about a bus or subway, but the cop says he doesn't ride the bus or subway, so he doesn't know. So she asks if the cop can take her to a safer location or to the hotel, which wasn't too far away. He again states that it's not his problem, gets into the car, and leaves. The other driver of the vehicle that hit the cab leaves. So, finally, the cab driver calls his cousin, who doesn't speak a word of english, and he comes in his own personal, beaten down station wagon and drives them back to the hotel.

I mean, what was wrong with that cop? I know complaints are often filed agasint Police Officers because of bogus things, but this guy definetly deserves some discipline and training on what being a police officer is all about. Leaving 3 kids and a woman from out of town alone in the middle of the Bronx. Real nice guy.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this situation?

I have to admit, I'm kinda surprised (impressed) the cabbie stepped up to the plate in the end.

well, I guess there's a reason that new yorkers have a sterotype?? :angry:

LOL. I have a similiar story that's funny because I never knew who the officer spoke to and I think I posted it on here.

What happened to the "CPR" concept that is painted on the RMP doors? This is exactly the type of moron that ruins a great job for great officers out there.

Wow, Seth. I'm sorry to hear that. So much for serving the public, huh?? Did she happen to get a badge number or name so she can file a complaint with the precinct??

So, my wife's cousins, ages 7, 14, and 17 came to town from Colorado with their mother to watch NY Baseball as their combined birthday gifts.

After a nighttime Yankees game, they catch a cab back to their hotel room in Manhattan. During the trip, the cab becomes involved in an accident in a sketchy dark neighborhood in the Bronx. The cab driver gets into an intense verbal altercation with the other driver, and eventually, after several minutes, a cop shows up.

With the cab being undriveable, the cabbie informs my family that he's unable to get them to their destination. So, here they are, in the middle of some scary South Bronx neighboorhod, and no other cabs are coming by.

So, my aunt asks the cop on scene how she could safely get her and her boys back to their hotel room. The cops has major attitude and sounds annoyed and says "It's not my problem". So she asks where she can get another cab. He points and directs her three blocks in another direction, but cautions her that she'll probaly get mugged on the way and might not get a cab for a while. She asks about a bus or subway, but the cop says he doesn't ride the bus or subway, so he doesn't know. So she asks if the cop can take her to a safer location or to the hotel, which wasn't too far away. He again states that it's not his problem, gets into the car, and leaves. The other driver of the vehicle that hit the cab leaves. So, finally, the cab driver calls his cousin, who doesn't speak a word of english, and he comes in his own personal, beaten down station wagon and drives them back to the hotel.

I mean, what was wrong with that cop? I know complaints are often filed agasint Police Officers because of bogus things, but this guy definetly deserves some discipline and training on what being a police officer is all about. Leaving 3 kids and a woman from out of town alone in the middle of the Bronx. Real nice guy.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this situation?

Are you sure that the COP was from that area? Near the Stadium there are many details and many officer fill in for the OT. Maybe in CO the cops would have driven them to the HOTEL. NOT IN THE BRONX it seems. OH well.

For $25K a year? They are probably making LESS than the cab driver.

I know its wrong, but on the scale of priorities, finding someone a cab is not the job of the police.

Wow, Seth. I'm sorry to hear that. So much for serving the public, huh?? Did she happen to get a badge number or name so she can file a complaint with the precinct??

I hate to say it. but there is no complaint. Accident reports are a civil function and the police officer is under no duty to act to help the family. Not helping someone isn't the same as cursing at them and I'll tell you now, 'a rude police officer' complaints are never substantiated, they just get disregarded.

Edited by 20y2

For $25K a year? They are probably making LESS than the cab driver.

I know its wrong, but on the scale of priorities, finding someone a cab is not the job of the police.

The act of Protecting and Serving IS in fact our job, it may not be a required DUTY but it is our MORAL DUTY. And to leave a woman and kids in an area that YOU wouldnt want your family walking in is just shameful. And my biggest priority is protecting (unfortunately) everyone, no matter who or what they are! From lost tourists to drug dealers. It all may sound corny, but that's why I signed on the dotted line, to help those who need help and protect those who cant protect themselves, so if I had to drive them three blocks or sit and wait, I can assure you they wouldnt have been left there or given the feeling they were going to be left there had I been there. That is assuming that all the facts of the story were printed as they occured, we know how stories get twisted from others, no offense Seth, its just that sometimes things get added and ommited when people have a negative interaction with the Police.

But, providing that everything is true, that cop deserves the moron of the week award!

Edited by OnTheWheel

In response to baba....'s post:

Actually, I beg to differ. Providing a safe haven is a part of the service, if it was unsafe then they should have helped them get to safety especially when it comes to people from out of town. Saying that they will probly get mugged isn't helping. I work in a police dispatch center, we call for cabs all the time, and probly 2-3 times a week our officers transport stranded motorists! And pay shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Edited by Oswegowind

I think there might be a little more to the story than meets the eye. It's rather surprising that an officer wouldn't safeguard the life of an individual, especially if he turned around, rather indifferently, and stated that if the individual in question were to walk a certain way, she'd get mugged.

I think there might be a little more to the story than meets the eye. It's rather surprising that an officer wouldn't safeguard the life of an individual, especially if he turned around, rather indifferently, and stated that if the individual in question were to walk a certain way, she'd get mugged.

I agree with Wolf. Not at all saying that you're family is lying Seth, but like someone just said, things get twisted, especially with the police. As soon as they make you angry for WHATEVER reason, big or small, you always come out with a story of total aggresion toward the PD...its their curse. They just cant win, even when they do their job, they still get knocked on! thats a whole diff. topic....

I believe that there is also more than meets the eye to this story, cause i find it makes no sense that an officer would be THAT rude and THAT unhelpful, ESPECIALLY after he/she admitted that the area was THAT bad.....BUT, if these are actually the facts, than that officer definitely needs a smack in the face to wake him up to realize his duties are to serve the public, whether they are local or tourists.

nevertheless, apologies to your family for having that experience. hope it doesnt give them a bad opinion on NY or the NYPD. you can never let one officer ruin it for the rest....

After my families car broke an Axle on the Taconic about 10 years ago, a State Police Officer drove us from the tow service lot some where near Kingston to our house in Mount Kisco at about 11 PM

COURTESTY

PROFESSIONLISM

RESPECT

I guess the NYPD Police Officers didn't want to give a COURTESTY transport.

What I don't get is why this OFFICER was alone. Don't they ride two to a car down in the BRONX? Maybe if he was alone he was on a detail and couldn't leave the area IE a stakeout or something else. Maybe he could have called for another unit but maybe that would have blown his cover. None of us were there so you can't monday morning quaterback. It sucks that it happened but it happened. They got to the HOTEL safe and probably back to CO safe. I think the only question here is, DID THE YANKEES WIN THE GAME and did they enjoy being in the past STADIUM IN THE BASEBALL WORLD?

Many still walk a solo beat in the NYPD. The higher ups have the attitude that there is an adjoining post to assist if help is needed. I personally have done solo trains runs through the Bronx, riding the subway after 10 pm by myself from 110/Lexington to Brooke Ave. Some bosses see this as a perfectly acceptable way to cover greater areas, as help is just a call away.

Now Seth states the PO was in a car, he may have been returning from a detail, or droppped another PO and prisoner off at Bronx Central Booking. At least he was honest, about not knowing the subway/busses. I am seeing a lot of new officers coming to the NYPD from Jersey/ Pennsylvania, even South Carolina and are not familiar with NYC mass transit. When I was in the academy I had an instructor tell us " Just send them in any direction, they will figure it out on there own". If the officer was walking a foot post, I would say he was not going to leave his post, because if something happened on his post while he was walking them to the subway, that would be the first thing the boss would ask, "Where were you?" they don't care about helping people. At Compstat, the Captain/ Lieutenant will be grilled as to why this crime happened, was there a post assigned there, why wasn't this crime prevented. I speak from experience, A few years ago, my partner and I locked someone up for smoking crack, Criminal Possession Controlled Substance 7, PL 220.03, a misdemeanor. About an hour after the arrest, while in the Transit District, awaiting fingerprints to be verified by Albany, a robbery happened on our post. The first thing that was asked by the boro command, was "where was the post that was assigned there?" Inspections came to our command, and pulled our memo books to see where we were, and when was the last time a supervisor had come to 'scratch our boooks'. Let me tell you, the tone was not "Oh, you had an arrest", it was more like "was this arrest really necessary".

Unfortunately the CPR slogan needs to be painted in every Captain's/Lieutenants office, as some reallly treat their officers like crap. When your are incurring overtime, they do not want to hear that you are getting more OT because you stopped to help a stranded tourist. Not only does the dept. track crimes at Compstat, they also track anything you can think of, OT included. Some bosses act like the OT is coming out of their own pockets, and try to keep it down as much as possible to make themselves look better.

How is this a constructive topic? Just curious.... to me it's a bash the cops and file a complaint topic... If what you posted was true in it's entirety, then I can see your gripe, but as others have already mentioned, a lot of times certain facts do get left out...

How is this a constructive topic? Just curious.... to me it's a bash the cops and file a complaint topic... If what you posted was true in it's entirety, then I can see your gripe, but as others have already mentioned, a lot of times certain facts do get left out...

It's the old "EMTBravo Double Standard;" can't say as if I'm in the least bit surprised. Bash a FF or FD, get threatened with disciplinary action like a suspension from the board. Bash a PO or PD, continue on. Facts get twisted, especially online, but I think there is a bit more to the situation than meets the eye, as I stated last night. And for the record, I do work in law enforcement, albeit not sworn yet.

It's the old "EMTBravo Double Standard;" can't say as if I'm in the least bit surprised. Bash a FF or FD, get threatened with disciplinary action like a suspension from the board. Bash a PO or PD, continue on. Facts get twisted, especially online, but I think there is a bit more to the situation than meets the eye, as I stated last night. And for the record, I do work in law enforcement, albeit not sworn yet.

Like the shirt says, " If you can't stand the heat....become a police officer". :lol:

I agree with the last 2 posts. I read what Seth wrote and of course I tried to defend the POLICE side of it. But it does seem as to be bashing of cops. You know Seth, your AUNT and COUSINS should have said that you own EMT BRAVO, maybe he would have driven them back to CO. LOL

Well, sorry to hear about your families experiences. That had to be a scary situation for them, being in unknown territory without a ride and having a Law Enforcement Officer tell them "Go that way but you will probably be mugged"....

Hy heart sinks to hear of things like that, this world is turning into a terrible place. But still, every once in a while you get people like the Cab driver who finaly stepped up and helped out...hopefully he didnt charge them for the ride!!!!

Maybe the cop was on another detail, or being sent to another call with priority and he felt sorry for the woman and probably spoke to her sarcastically to get the driver to help her...we will never know what truly happened and why the officer couldnt help, but the GOOD thing is your family is safe and back home.

I just think we sometimes forget how difficult and terrifying a cops job is, all the immature crap they have to deal with followed by moments of shear terror, not knowing friend from foe, whos going to shoot at you or attempt to run you over...I respect them.

I have 3 brothers who are FT law enforcement...an assistant chief of mine is a trooper, a brother of mine a Sherriffs off., and another chief from a neighboring fire dept is a village cop here. I listen to their stories and experiences.

Did the Yankees Loos.....I mean, how did the Yankees do? :lol:

Stay Safe

Moose

Seth, I don't want to start any problems because that is not my intention, but this thread should be closed. Not for nothing, after Oneeyed's thread about Hatzoloh was closed, you issued a statement saying that "this website was not for people's personal rants....". Now you post a personal rant and have people on here asking, "did you get his badge number", "they should make a complaint", so on and so forth. Why don't they just post the number for CCRB.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is definetly a sign of a double standard....

I work with NYPD every day, and the vast majority are amazing stand-up guys. I've had them follow with patients cars to the hospital (could have just as easily had it towed), secure vehicles and then track down the patient at the hospital (could have just left the keys at the precinct), volunteer to go pick up kids from school so the parent didn't have to try and find a ride, the list goes on. At the same time I've personally been screwed over by a cop who didn't want to bother (ignored a possession and probably dui charge after a guy slammed into my bus). They are no different than any other agency. The majority are good guys and few are skells. The average patrol officer probably has it rougher than most thanks to everything grumpy posted, but most do the right thing even when they don't have to.

LOL. I have a similiar story that's funny because I never knew who the officer spoke to and I think I posted it on here.

What happened to the "CPR" concept that is painted on the RMP doors? This is exactly the type of moron that ruins a great job for great officers out there.

ALS, didn't you get the memo - the CPR on the sides of the cars stands for "CAN'T PAY RENT". Not anything else anymore!!!! :(