Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Lake Mohegan Fire & Mohegan Lake

12 posts in this topic

I'm curious about another Westchester department name.

How come Lake Mohegan FD is called Lake Mohegan FD, when the section and Post Office is callled Mohegan Lake????

Is there a story behind that?

I have wondered that myself, good question hopefully there is someone here who can answer it.

Did somebody in the postal service have dyslexia ?

Well, I wonder if the lake itself (yes, there is one) is technically Mohegan Lake or Lake Mohegan. I used to live right on it (well, my grandparents did and I spent summers there), so you would think that I'd have a clue... But, no.

Ok, after some searching on here, I found out the difference between Lake Mohegan & Mohegan Lake. It is really two different places located within the hamlet of Yorktown.

According to what I found, Mohegan Lake is on Rt 6 ( main street) While viewing the map, ( the lake itself being located in the center), it is to the left of the lake. Lake Mohegan is to the right of the lake. The "lake" is called Lake Mohegan.

The Latitude and Longatude is in fact, different for the two places in question.

So, technically, it is two different places with the same zip, in the same hamlet, serviced by the same volunteer fire department.

So, that answers the question:"Where in time is Mohegan Lake & Lake Mohegan!"

WOW, learn something new everyday, but now my head hurts from thinking about that.

I thought there might have been another fire company called Mohegan Lake somewhere.

I thought there might have been another fire company called Mohegan Lake somewhere.

The name of the fire department serving Mohegan Lake and Lake Mohegan is : Mohegan Volunteer FireFighters, located on Rt.6. When you type in either one of the names on the internet doing a search, that is the only department that shows.

By the way, they have a very interesting website and announce an Open House October14, 2007. Check it out! :rolleyes:

Ok, after some searching on here, I found out the difference between Lake Mohegan & Mohegan Lake. It is really two different places located within the hamlet of Yorktown.

According to what I found, Mohegan Lake is on Rt 6 ( main street) While viewing the map, ( the lake itself being located in the center), it is to the left of the lake. Lake Mohegan is to the right of the lake. The "lake" is called Lake Mohegan.

The Latitude and Longatude is in fact, different for the two places in question.

So, technically, it is two different places with the same zip, in the same hamlet, serviced by the same volunteer fire department.

Actually these two places are located in the Town of Yorktown. The two areas together may be a hamlet. Not sure of that, though.

the mohegan fd district is in 2 towns cortlandt and yorktown

the lake mohegan (water ) is in the town of yorktown as is fd hq

at 1 time their district took in part of what is now putnum valley in putnum

I'm curious about another Westchester department name.

How come Lake Mohegan FD is called Lake Mohegan FD, when the section and Post Office is callled Mohegan Lake????

Is there a story behind that?

The name of the fire department serving Mohegan Lake and Lake Mohegan is : Mohegan Volunteer FireFighters, located on Rt.6. When you type in either one of the names on the internet doing a search, that is the only department that shows.

By the way, they have a very interesting website and announce an Open House October14, 2007. Check it out! :rolleyes:

The old timers knew the Lake and the area around it as Lake Mohegan so the FD uses that name. The Post Office in later years, used Mohegan Lake, so the Feds seem to be the reason for two names. Post Cards from 1900 say Lake Mohegan.

Tunafish, LOL, There is only one Lake Mohegan. Hope you're not a navigator! Yorktown is the town, not a hamlet. there are several hamlets in Yorktown. The LMFD is not all volunteer, it's a combo. dept. It is overseen by the LM Fire District Commisioners who employ a group of Career FF.s and includes the Mohegan Vol. Fire Assn. and the Mohegan VAC. Internet info is not always the best. MVFA Website has a decent history if you're interested. ;)

What is really funny is that the area just to the south of the Lake, is really Mohegan Colony! A smorgashboard of small cottages that were once just summer homes of the rich city dwellers. Now most of these homes have been redone, and enlarged, but some are still tiny.