Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fairview And Scarsdale Demo'ing A KME LA County Spec Pumper

22 posts in this topic

Last night, Fairview (Greenburgh) FD, and this morning, Scarsdale FD, demo'd an LA County spec KME Severe Service Predator. William McGuffey, the area KME rep, has the apparatus to demo it to several departments. Word is that he will be going up to the Albany area to demo the rig later today.

Both Fairview and Scarsdale are looking to replace Engines.

I caught the rig on Scarsdale FD HQ's apron this AM, while the Chief and his members were looking it over. Sorry for the shot, it was poor lighting.

post-11-1189603626.jpg

This rig is exactly the same as the LA County Predators, and are part of a "add-on" program to that contract (which is for over 100 pumpers for LA County). These pumpers truly are built for severe service, and easy maintanence. I have seen this rig up close and in depth with the mechanics at the LA County shops last year when deliveries first started and two weeks ago, and they really are nicely laid out and built. IMHO, perfect for departments like Fairview and Scarsdale, and many others in this county.

From KME's website:

Every fire department can now take advantage of the world class engineering and construction offered by a chassis specifically designed for high volume use in extreme conditions. The Severe Service was originally designed for the country’s largest fleet, however cities and fire departments nationwide have expressed strong interest in standardizing their fleet as well.

Here's a photo of an LA County one just delivered, photo taken by me two weeks ago. There are some minor differences.:

post-11-1189603961.jpg

Anybody know if this engine was demo'd elsewhere in the area?

Thanks to a good friend for the tip!!

I've heard through the grapevine that Scarsdale has had some problems with their apparatus committee, resulting in a poorly written spec that provided no bids. Maybe moving to something like this unit, specced by a large progressive dept. would make it easier on them to get newer apparatus that is needed. Looking at the photo I'm guessing 1500/750?

But Seth,

Will it have the gold striping and lettering?? Chevrons on the back? lol

I've heard through the grapevine that Scarsdale has had some problems with their apparatus committee, resulting in a poorly written spec that provided no bids. Maybe moving to something like this unit, specced by a large progressive dept. would make it easier on them to get newer apparatus that is needed. Looking at the photo I'm guessing 1500/750?

I heard Scarsdale was looking to bid an engine and a truck.

is the whelen siren system on this rig the only siren system installed on this chassis

oddly - the bumper looks reversed... The airhorns and siren speaker are opposite Seth's LA picture.

I like the rig!

Lightbar could be a little bigger though.... haha

:rolleyes:

Members of Fairview Greenburgh FD drove this demo engine the other night. Great rig , good base to use as a start. I liked it. The demo went up to Albany NY area after stopping in Scarsdale.

Ossining FD has an Apparatus committee to replace Engine 99 (Monitor Hose) 5 members of OFD came to Fairview to look it over also :D

* Update 2/1/08

Fairview FD Commissioners ordered the KME LA spec Pumper with some changes to fit the needs of the department.

Delivery of the New Engine 176 will be later this year.

Understand Scarsdale Fire Dept made an Emergency purchase of a Crimson Ladder truck.

this info from salesman at the LI Fire Expo.

* Update 2/1/08

Fairview FD Commissioners ordered the KME LA spec Pumper with some changes to fit the needs of the department.

Delivery of the New Engine 176 will be later this year.

Understand Scarsdale Fire Dept made an Emergency purchase of a Crimson Ladder truck.

this info from salesman at the LI Fire Expo.

Look at Crimson's web site, Scarsdale repotedly bought an engine and a truck.

where in the website?

Yeah I had a look and can't find it either ?

thats the website that I went on.....and I cannot find the information pertaining to the purchases......

I can't find it either. You'll have to clarify which part of the site you are seeing this on.

I can't find anything either. Hopefully, one our Scarsdale members can fill us in.

*fingers crossed* I just hope it's a Boomer!!

http://www.fireboomer.com/boomer/

Seriously though, Crimson builds REALLY nice apparatus. It's nice to see their presence in Westchester (hopefully_

Sorry guys, they are demo units. The pumper on pg 2 and the rear mount.

Very sharp looking rigs, I especially like the rearmount with the Evolution cab. How many miles/hours do these demos have on them?

Not the LA County Engine, but a few months ago the City of Middletown FD (Orange) demo'd a LA County Tiller. I got a chance to look it over while it was parked at a neighboring FH, where the area rep is a member, it was laid out very well, and minus the pump I could see the truck as a great addition to City of Middletown.