Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Danbury Airport Multiple Alarm Fire 9/12

28 posts in this topic

At 23:00, WTNH Channel 8 is reporting that the fire at the Danbury Airport is a hanger with two planes located inside.

Anyone else here of any more reports?

I heard Brewster FD ( Putnam) go on standby

Heres what I just found via google search

Blaze engulfs hangar at Danbury Airport

DANBURY -- Reliant Air Building at 1 Wibling Road, near Danbury Airport, began burning shortly before 10 p.m. The ruined building was still in flames at 11:45, with increasing numbers of firefighters still arriving on the scene.

The building houses the charter flight company and other businesses, including McNally’s Steak & Ale House.

Dan Perry, who was driving to the Weindorf Road home he shares with his mother near the airport, said he saw the fire and pulled into the Bed Bath & Beyond parking lot. He was among the first spectators.

"When I pulled in I saw one window with fire in it," Perry said. He placed a phone call to his mother, and "By the time I looked back around, the whole building was going up."

His mother, Kelly Ballard of Weindorf Road, soon met him in the lot, which also serves Sports Authority, "At first there was tons of smoke and sirens. In 10 minutes it about tripled in size."

Angela Hartwell, a Reliant pilot who had the day off, was driving nearby on 1-84 when she saw smoke over Barden and then an orange fireball at Reliant.

"It’s heart-breaking. This is people’s life blood. We have a lot of loyal customers," Hartwell said, beginning to cry. "It’s a good company and I really liked working there. It’s very sad.

The company had been in business since 1989. The company has five full-time, and six part-time pilots.

Embers showered down onto I-84 and its exits.

Jay Sherwood of Danbury Fire Police, trying to clear the Bed Bath & Beyond parking lot of a stream onlookers – some of them trying to take pictures with their cell phones – said of the burning building, "There’s planes in there and lots of equipment, really flammable stuff."

Police and fire reports are not yet available.

For more on this story, see Thursday's edition of The News-Times

Edited by CPFD91206

This was the first I heard of it. If I known earlier when it came in I would have gone up there for photos.

Just hear that embers were landing on 84. No surprise on that since it is close to 7 & 84 and the wind was coming from the south tonight.

WOW, Engine 26 goes into service yesterday and gets their first job today!

OK here is the latest.

E8,12,13,21,22,25,26 T1,T2 Sq6 A1 & A4 , medic and various chiefs

E23 and callback manning E24

All DFD volco's not on scene covering

Bethel FD on standby in our station

Brewster FD on standby in thier station

Ridgefield FD E-2 in Danbury covering as well

Ridgefield Truck 8 was called to the scene, they are now covering at Danbury HQ. On my way into work the ember were blowing across 84.

Frank Becerra Jr. was on scene covering it for The Journal News, this is one of his (excellent) photos from this incident posted on LoHud.com. Really photographically describes the magnitude of the incident. It is ironic that they just opened E-26 the other day!

post-11-1189687900.jpg

(Photo: Frank Becerra Jr./Journal News)

It'll be interesting to find the cause and point of origin of it.

Wow what a shame. It was a neet old building.I've passed it many times, and bought some books from them once. I hope the employees get back on their feet soon.

I heard Brewster FD ( Putnam) go on standby

I saw you asked how far they are from Danbury in your incident alert post (Putnam County). Actually, they are the closest NY FD, just hop on I-84 east and there is Danbury. I guess you have never gone to the Danbury Fair Mall...nor drive a hog...

their is a new video up on this fire WOW they had their hands full!!!

FIRE AT DANBURY MUNICIPAL AIRPORT..

We're sorry, but we do not have any photos in this gallery yet. Please check back later.

I got that message when following the link you posted! Maybe they moved them, or deleted them? I am not familiar with their site, maybe you can help!

I would have commuted for this one if I had known ;)

Bill,

If I had known the sizeof that building, I would have too! The pictures that were online last night didn't do the size of the building justice! That was a much bigger fire than HRPC.

Are you serious? They put Putnam Lake on standby but not New Fairfield? NFVFD is much closer.

Anyway, talk about baptism by fire for the boys of E26.

Does Danbury airport have a crash truck or any kind of fire brigade ?

Yes they have a crash truck, I Believe is stored in the next building over from the fire don't know about a fire brigade. I do know that the truck Co. goes and gets the crash truck if there is an airplane emergency.

i know it's a GMC With a rescue body, pump, 50 to 100 Gal. of foam And some PPK and a full set of Hurst tools may be DFD801 could find a pic. It use to be Engine 26

Edited by bfdlt141

Wasn't able to find a pic of the crash truck but your description was pretty accurate. There's no fire brigade, DFD handles all airport emergencies. You had it right though... 2 members of Truck 1 will pick up the crash truck in an emergency. And now with Eng. 26 literally right outside the airport gate, they'll be on scene way before the responding HQ units.

Bill,

If I had known the size of that building, I would have too! The pictures that were online last night didn't do the size of the building justice! That was a much bigger fire than HRPC.

We could have car pooled :lol: I think the HRPC building was actually bigger from what I remember....I might be wrong.......I suspect the biggest loss here was the contents........ Aircraft ain't cheap......

Question, I haven't been up to D-bury in while. Is new Engine 26's house on the opposite side of the airport from Miry Brook VFD? I know E-13's is close to the airport also.

Izzy, its directly across from Miry Brook, next to the Tower building near Red Lobster/Olive Garden on Backus Ave.

I listened to the whole thing at work and sent out the IPN pages... the initial dispatch was reported "major fire" coming from the building