Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Firehouse Magazine

14 posts in this topic

I recently got a subscription to Firehouse Magazine for my son and myself...I had one years ago.

What the heck happened?

It's ALL ads, and junk cards, and lots fo crap!

What happened to "On The Job"?

It's format is so messy it's hard to read!

What are you saying??? Is it the "Cosmo" for firefighters???

What are you saying??? Is it the "Cosmo" for firefighters???

It's worse than that - I get ALOT of mags...all types...and none are as bad as Firehouse with the MISH MOSH of ads just stuck everywhere!

You probabaly subscribe to Cosmo now that I think about it you freak...

I've bveen very displeased with my subscription. I subscribed in July in Baltimore at the expo, received my first issue in Late september which was the August issue over 3 months late. Then the September issue never showed up at all and thankfully October just showed up today but very unhappy.

Has anyone ever signed up online and used a credit card?

I did - and I keep getting a bill to pay them in the mail.... I PAID them when I subscribed!

If I did not pay them online with the card - would I have already gotten 4 issues? NOpe...just a scam to make you "renew"....

Both firehouse and fire engienering seem to send renewal or re-billing letters out 3x a year under your address on the mag it should say when your script expires, they got me once with this

I agree that Firehouse Magazine has gotten really bad. I cancelled my subscription a few years ago. Every now and then I see one in the firehouse, pick it up, then put it down and give thanks that I stopped paying for it. Fire Engineering is a LOT better, each month I find a few items worth reading. I am, however, very displeased with Chief Brennan's replacement on the back page. You just can't replace that talent with Brunacini...unreadable

JC

Edited by jcoppola

With all the ads, shouldn't it be free??? They are getting your money and the money from advertisers, talk about win-win...only thing that makes more this way is CABLE TV!!!! Funny how you don't have to pay for radio, the ads take up the cost...Unless you have Satellite and then you pay a measly $12.99 or so a month...I have this, just for my daughter...Sirius Kids (116) is her favorite station, and you don't have to worry about them listening to all the "other stuff" that goes on, on radio. This issue just made me think, how big of suckers we are...I mean I understand that you can get "over the air" television for free, and have an Aunt in Croton that still does this!, but why with all the ads do we have to pay so much for the tv??? I can see a 1 time connection fee to hook up to the services, and if you want them to set up your house with wiring, which most of us can do ourselves, then that can be another charge. Next you can pay for "premium" channells, rent the box and anything on demand you do...but that should be customer to customer...otherwise, it should cost the individual a bare minimum. And, not the $49 a month I think it is regularly. Oh yeah, we were talking about some magazine!

Fire Engineering is the best of the magazines, in my opinion. Any time I pick it up I usually learn something new, or at least find some decent articles. Firehouse is just poorly organized and a pain to read.

I subscribe to Fire Engineering and get Firehouse after others read it at the firehouse. Fire Engineering is much better in my opinion.

I believe Firehouse is owned by Cygnus Publishing. Like any other business they are out to turn a profit. I remember Firehouse in the 80's when it was mostly what I called a buff magazine because it was mostly pictures and not too much in repsects to training where Fire Engineering was more of a technical magazine. It has now in recent years become more technical but I agree the ads are a bit much.

I am also bothered that I pay for cable tv yet there are too many commercials as well.

I believe Firehouse is owned by Cygnus Publishing. Like any other business they are out to turn a profit. I remember Firehouse in the 80's when it was mostly what I called a buff magazine because it was mostly pictures and not too much in repsects to training where Fire Engineering was more of a technical magazine. It has now in recent years become more technical but I agree the ads are a bit much.

I am also bothered that I pay for cable tv yet there are too many commercials as well.

That is EXACTLY why I got it for my 5 y/o son....but it is too confusing for even him...

And there is no doubt that FE is THE firefighter's mag.

Have any of you look at their websites? It's wall to wall ads there too. I just read it at the fire house. I had considered getting a subscription but why pay for what you can get for free. There are so many ad's, there is an INDEX of whats in there. take a look sometime and laugh at that.

And i agree that with all those ads it should be a free mag, or at least a free website