Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Former Mount Vernon Mayor's Chief Of Staff Named New Westchester DES Dep. Comm.

24 posts in this topic

The JN is announcing that the Chief of Staff for Mt Vernon Mayor Ernie Davis, John DiBlasi, has been appointed the new DES Dep. Comm., to replace the retiring John E. Jackson.

Mr. DiBlasi is a former State Supreme Court Justice.

What experience does a former state supreme court justice and chief of staff in Mt. Vernon have in emergency services?

Edited by firebuff31

I would say it, but I got another forum closed by doing so!

lets not forget that if i am not mistaken there are 2 positions there as deputys along with comm suttons position.

Edited by hudson144

What experience does a former state supreme court justice and chief of staff in Mt. Vernon have in emergency services?

Before you jump to criticize I'd like to find out a little more about the man. Maybe someone from MVFD can fill us in.

Having the distinction of being one of the youngest persons ever elected to the New York State Supreme Court at the age of 39, former Judge John P. DiBlasi was appointed to the position of Chief of Staff in June 2006.

As a Justice of the Supreme Court for nine years, Judge DiBlasi presided over hundreds of complex civil actions. He was the founding judge for the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court, Westchester County, and implemented this division’s alternative dispute resolution program. Prior to his election to the Supreme Court, Judge DiBlasi served as a judge of the City Court of Mount Vernon for four years, where he presided over both criminal and civil actions.

Judge DiBlasi’s service to the Mount Vernon community also includes being Chairman of the Mount Vernon Youth Board and a member of the Board of Directors of the Mount Vernon Neighborhood Health Center. Judge DiBlasi also founded the Mount Vernon High School Mock Trial Program and the Mount Vernon Youth Court, for which he received the New York State Bar Association’s Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service in the field of Law Related Education.

Prior to becoming a judge, he was a member of the Westchester County Public Employment Relations Board, where he mediated labor disputes and supervised the election of collective bargaining representatives; an attorney in private practice specializing in civil litigation; and an examining attorney with the New York City Department of Investigation. He also served in the United States Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General’s Corps, retiring with the rank of Captain in 1998.

Judge DiBlasi has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Pace University School of Law and an Instructor at St. John’s University School of Law in New York. He has lectured for the New York State Bar Association, New York State Trial Lawyers, the New York State Judges’ School, the Practicing Law Institute of New York and other bar associations. He has published five articles on trial tactics in the New York State Bar Journal.

A graduate of Syracuse University, Judge DiBlasi earned his Juris Doctor Degree at St. John’s University. He also possesses a Certificate in Professional Human Resource Management from Villanova University.

...From the City of Mount Vernon's Web Site

Two Dep. Comm. positions. Plus the commish. Does anyone think that WDES is a little top heavy. Could this money be better used?

What would his dutys be anyway?

Will he be taking over the Fre Coordinators position that John held or will he have more OEM style duties? Why is John retiring?

Two Dep. Comm. positions. Plus the commish. Does anyone think that WDES is a little top heavy. Could this money be better used?

What would his dutys be anyway?

LETS SEE JUDGE FOR FIRE EMERGENCY POSITION WHATS NEXT FIRE CHIEF TO MEDICAL EXAMINER

Sounds like maybe he would make a good police comissioner and even that may be a stretch. But it definitely does not appear that he has any experience in emergency services. Seems to be something like NYC where the fire comissioner previously ran child services and has no experience running a fire dept. I'm curious as to what guidlines were used to hire for this position?

You never know. Mabey a foot Dr can even be a fire commissioner Na that could never be possable.

Is that the same Judge Judy wannabe who was taking a broadcast course in Connecticut when he was supposed to be in Court in Westchester? Nah, it couldn't be.

LETS SEE JUDGE FOR FIRE EMERGENCY POSITION WHATS NEXT FIRE CHIEF TO MEDICAL EXAMINER

Look FDMV has a food doctor for a commissioner.

Mr Diblasi was very instrumental in getting us in for the interview with the mayor, he was pushing the mayor to make the promotions because he knew it was the right thing to do. I feel that if he didn't push for the interviews the list would have died in the same manner that the BUFFALO 13 list was allowed to expire with open positions. We all know that the Fire Chief and Fire Commissioner were not pushing for the promotions for a couple of reasons. They will be brought out in the pending lawsuit!

So, in your case, he was a good guy? That gives him a little more credibility in my eyes, personally.

Kinda reminds me of the fiasco in FEMA after Katrina where the old secretary was replaced with a chief from Miami-Dade. The old secretary had no emergency services experience and the media blasted the administration for putting someone without emergency services experience into the head of an emergency services agency.

I do not know this man and I am not knocking him, I'm just a little leary of putting someone in there who has a management resume without the experience of being a grunt in that area

Wow, kind of rushing to judgment aren't we???

Let's remember some facts - all the commissioner and deputy commissioner positions in County government are appointed by the County Executive and approved by the Board of Legislators. So there are without a doubt politics involved.

Positions at this level are largely administrative with few, if any, field responsibilities. A good administrator can learn the nuances of a department without having served in the rank and file. It happens in public safety agencies around the nation all the time. Not to say that a good administrator rising within the ranks isn't desirable but don't condemn someone from outside the service before he/she even starts their job.

When I was on the road, Judge DiBlasi was on the bench in Mt. Vernon City Court. I found him to be fair, thorough, and very supportive of law enforcement working in the City. With that said, I would suggest we give the man a chance to prove himself in his new position before we condemn his selection.

I agree with Chris192. I know people who have come from "the rank and file" to a leadership position, and are completly incompetent, even after decades in office.

Of course, there's always Westchester County politics involved, but hopefully the new commisioner coming from a different background will be an assett.

I just wished I had applied.

Just think back 12 years ago when the Yankees hired Joe Torre. The papers called him cluelees Joe and blasted the Yankees for their decision. We all see how that turned out! All you haters should make sure you remember your words if Di blasi turns out to be ok too. Why don't we give the guy a chance before we pass judgement.

I have never heard of this gentleman, so I'm not going to pass judgement either way. I will just say Congrats, amd good luck in the future.

to add to my above post- the other city departments in westchester county promote as soon as a vacancy opens, in our situation in MV you can sit on the list for over a year even when there is openings, a past practice that we all hope will be eliminated just like the guy that made it that way! when a retirement occurs and a postion opens up it should be filled asap, lets stop playing mind games with the guys, Mr Diblasi stated that the positions were there and should be filled, the same words that FDMV local #107 officers stated.

To add some more to my prior post, I am not critizing this man, only the politics involved. I will gladly give anyone a chance to demonstrate their skills before passing judgement on the individual.

Again my comment (thought out in my crazy head & not put into words) was to critize the politics involved similar to prior recent historical events.

Wow, kind of rushing to judgment aren't we???

Let's remember some facts - all the commissioner and deputy commissioner positions in County government are appointed by the County Executive and approved by the Board of Legislators. So there are without a doubt politics involved.

Positions at this level are largely administrative with few, if any, field responsibilities. A good administrator can learn the nuances of a department without having served in the rank and file. It happens in public safety agencies around the nation all the time. Not to say that a good administrator rising within the ranks isn't desirable but don't condemn someone from outside the service before he/she even starts their job.

When I was on the road, Judge DiBlasi was on the bench in Mt. Vernon City Court. I found him to be fair, thorough, and very supportive of law enforcement working in the City. With that said, I would suggest we give the man a chance to prove himself in his new position before we condemn his selection.

I think Chris has done a great job here. From what I gather, at this level it is more knowing how to work with the system and the Executives. Sure, it helps to have the background, but if you don't at least believe in and respect the people below who (should) know how to take care of the implementation and doing parts of the department.