Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The New Pierce Velocity

15 posts in this topic

To me the new Velocity from Pierce looks ugly. Of course I know you buy a rig not for it's looks, but lets face it your going to judge a rig at first by its looks.

Does anyone think we will see one of these around here?

Both images from Pierce.com

Top = Lehigh Acres, FL Lehigh Acres Fire department

Bottom = Hutto Fire Rescue, Hutto, TX

post-1726-1194653029.jpg

post-1726-1194653040.jpg

Puke fricking ugly!

Look at the raised roof on the top one! Silly!

Yeah, the top one is just plain UGLY!!!! But the one on the bottom MIGHT have a little bit of potential.

Top one comes with an indoor rock wall/escape simulator

Does it include a waterfall?????? :lol:

If the mirrors weren't out and down like that and instead out and up, it wouldn't look bad, but the mirrors just kill off the looks of it.

Mike

The Hutto rig (red/gray) is actually an Impel, not a Velocity.

I was saddened to learn of the demise of the Lance, Dash, etc., as they were among my favorite apparatus models. Wasn't thrilled with the Velocity at first, but I think it will grow on me after a while, funny looking mirrors and all.

Can't speak for Westchester, but I know of two departments here in Orange County (Goshen and Chester) who have Velocity engines on order for next year. Lodi (Bergen Co., NJ) has a Velocity tower on order, and I've heard Hillsdale is going for an engine. Seem to recall talk of a rescue going somewhere, but the town escapes me at the moment.

Should be interesting to see one in person

The Hutto rig (red/gray) is actually an Impel, not a Velocity.

Thanks AndyC31J, your right it is an Impel, none the less I dont like the look.

Ohhh and since you mentioned Velocity ladder, here is a 75ft Velocity ladder from Edmond Fire and Rescue. Edmond, OK

post-1726-1194660360.jpg

Thanks AndyC31J, your right it is an Impel, none the less I dont like the look.

Ohhh and since you mentioned Velocity ladder, here is a 75ft Velocity ladder from Edmond Fire and Rescue. Edmond, OK

That actually doesn't look all that bad. The top two however, aren't really doing it for me. The headlights on all of them are a bit weird.

does anyone have the cost of replacing the windshield? A single pane has to be much more expensive than the two pane system of past systems. It would really suck to take a rock or back into a basketball hoop. Well at least more so than normal.

You can get the regular mirrors I have seen the Pierce Velocity with the regular mirrors. The rig looks ugly with the mirrors you don't have to get them with those mirrors

What volume of sales are the new rigs getting, has the Arrow XT picked up any more sales for people looking for traditional shaped rigs ?

I was saddened to learn of the demise of the Lance, Dash, etc., as they were among my favorite apparatus models. Wasn't thrilled with the Velocity at first, but I think it will grow on me after a while, funny looking mirrors and all.

Like the Quantum and the newer Crimson model??

Yeah, when the Quantum first came out, I thought it was the fugliest thing I'd ever seen. I actually like them now. Even the hideous Spartan Gladiator Evolution isn't all that bad. Still prefer the Gladiator Classic, though. Haven't yet seen enough of the new Spartan model to pass judgement on it.

To answer the earlier comment, yes you can get the Velocity with "normal" mirrors. Saw a rear-mount platform demo with them, and it didn't look bad. I just wonder if rectangle headlights are (or ever will be) an option. The round ones do look somewhat odd.

Edited by AndyC3J

It would really suck to take a rock or back into a basketball hoop.

If the windshield is in the front how the heck do you back into a basketball hoop?

The top one from Lehigh Acres, FL Lehigh Acres Fire department must have a firefighter as tall as the cop in N. Carolina :lol:

the silver and red one looks okay and the ladder looks pretty good but the one on the top is just horrible that sucks that they won't make the dash anymore though that was deffinatly my favorite model.