Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Taconic Parkway Crossovers in Dutchess County

24 posts in this topic

Here's a question for our Dutchess County contingent...

A while back DOT started closing a lot of the grade crossings (intersections) on the Taconic Parkway to cut down on accidents and traffic. Now many of them that still can be crossed have signage saying "Emergency Responders Only".

Since "emergency responder" is not a defined term in the Vehicle and Traffic Law, does Dutchess County have special legislation for this or are other measures in place for their use by other than defined emergency vehicles?

Chris good point... Does the sign actually say "Emergency Responders Only"? or does it say "Authorized emergency vehicles only" Like it says down here in westchester... I'm thinking 684, but all the highways have that. (I think i got the wording right)

Im assuming that "authorized emergency vehicles" is defined in the VTL's and does not include responders in their pov's. But the way its worded in Dutchess does sound like responders in their pov's would be ok.

Chris good point... Does the sign actually say "Emergency Responders Only"? or does it say "Authorized emergency vehicles only" Like it says down here in westchester... I'm thinking 684, but all the highways have that. (I think i got the wording right)

Im assuming that "authorized emergency vehicles" is defined in the VTL's and does not include responders in their pov's. But the way its worded in Dutchess does sound like responders in their pov's would be ok.

The signs say "Emergency Responders Only".

I live on one of these roads that has such an at-grade crossing. The closings were a result of multiple serious MVAs, many fatal ones.

I have never ran into any problems with using such a crossing in my POV, as any alternative route would double or triple distances traveled.

CR_Median_11_07_02-01s.jpg

CR_Median_11_07_02-05.jpg

Home_Depot_Truck_02_10_03-05.jpg

Sure doesn't look like any emergency response vehicle I've ever seen before!!

The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing to prevent any normal person from abusing the open crossings.

I'm guessing it is more implied that the Emergency Responders means even POVs.

So long as it is used for emergency calls, NYSP haven't hassled any fire or EMS that I know of.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Emergency vehicles are defined and emergency responders are not. All the other signs I've seen anywhere in the state say "Authorized Emergency Vehicles Only" so I was wondering what Dutchess did to get the special signage.

Being that DOT is a state agency, I can't imagine they did it out of the goodness of their hearts.

I believe it had a lot to do with pressure from the FDs. This whole action took place before I joined the fire service, so I do not have first hand knowledge.

CR_Median_11_07_02-01s.jpg

CR_Median_11_07_02-05.jpg

Home_Depot_Truck_02_10_03-05.jpg

Sure doesn't look like any emergency response vehicle I've ever seen before!!

The unfortunate thing is that there is nothing to prevent any normal person from abusing the open crossings.

I'm guessing it is more implied that the Emergency Responders means even POVs.

So long as it is used for emergency calls, NYSP haven't hassled any fire or EMS that I know of.

ah carpenter road , I actually just came up saw mill.watched a car come off mountain road (irvington)go out of its way in wrong direction,and cross median to head north bound,followed said car (nutmegger)and they bailed off at 119 with a last second exit.

ah carpenter road , I actually just came up saw mill.watched a car come off mountain road (irvington)go out of its way in wrong direction,and cross median to head north bound,followed said car (nutmegger)and they bailed off at 119 with a last second exit.

Does that mean you made the illegal u-turn also? Can I see you license and registration, please? Just scan them in and e-mail them over!!! :P

Edited by Chris192

As people have said in other posts,some of the crossings have been closed because of serious accidents. Some of the crossings in Pleasant Valley and Clinton have been closed totaly buy a guard rail. Then about 50 feet south of hibernia rd you can cross over going from west to east. Hollow rd intersection is closed totaly.Rossway rd was not closed because it would take Lagrange longer to get to those calls on the other side of Rossway rd , so they are still Pleasant Valleys. I will try to get some pics and try not to cause an accident in the process.

If I remember correctly, when the crossings were closed, the members of the local department received a letter ("permission slip") to cross them when responding to calls. Although I'm sure we've all used them a time or two when we weren't supposed to (right xfirefighter464x?? ;) )

If I remember correctly, when the crossings were closed, the members of the local department received a letter ("permission slip") to cross them when responding to calls. Although I'm sure we've all used them a time or two when we weren't supposed to (right xfirefighter464x?? ;) )

Huh, what? I have NO idea what you are talking about!! B)

I think most of the grade crossings have been closed to traffic have been blocked off so I've found out (the hard way).

Some crossings have since had overpasses built over the TSP, Hosner Mountain Rd in Hopewell Jct being one of them.

The Arthersburg Road crossing in Lagrangeville remains closed but a northbound exit ramp has since been built at Noxen Road and south bound exit and entrance ramps @ Arthersburg Rd.

Rossway road in Pleasant Valley remains open as a grade crossing as previously stated.

That's all I can think of for now.

Huh, what? I have NO idea what you are talking about!! B)

THAT'S HAPPENING ALOT RECENTLY....LOL :lol:

QUOTE(xfirefighter484x @ Nov 29 2007, 02:03 PM) post_snapback.gifHuh, what? I have NO idea what you are talking about!! B)

Geez, xfirefighter484x, sounds lie they've got you all figured out!! :lol:

Taconic Crossovers - South to North

Carpenter Road (East Fishkill) Emergency Responders

Mountain Road (LaGrange) No turns from the Taconic

McDonnell Road (LaGrange)

Rossway Road (Pleasant Valley)

Tyrrel Road (Pleasant Valley)

Pumpkin Lane (Clinton / Stanford) Emergency Responders

Willow Brook Road (Milan) Emergency Responders

North Road (Milan)

Wilbur Flats Road (Milan)

Ferris Lane (Milan)

Geez, xfirefighter484x, sounds lie they've got you all figured out!! :lol:

You guys suck. :angry:

Edited by xfirefighter484x

You guys suck. :angry:

QUOTE(FFD941 @ Nov 30 2007, 01:35 AM) post_snapback.gifTHAT'S HAPPENING ALOT RECENTLY....LOL :lol:

QUOTE(DOC22 @ Nov 30 2007, 01:42 AM) post_snapback.gifGeez, xfirefighter484x, sounds lie they've got you all figured out!! :lol:

AW, what, you can't take a little bustin, or ya have trouble accepting the truth?????????????????HAHAHAHA

Question...how do you access Hosner Mtn Road now from the TSP? I used to use the right turn from NB to go to my aunt's house over in E Fishkill by doing so but there is a big mound of dirt in the way now...only way I can tell is to cut through the Stormville barracks parking lot!

To access Hosner Mountain Road you will have to get off the Taconic at Route 52 then head West.

Edited by Lucky-Truckie

To access Hosner Mountain Road you will have to get off the Taconic at Route 52 then head West.

Or cut through the Trooper Barracks...LOL!

just wanted to add to the emergency responders only thing nys dot workers are classified as emergency responders now and also use those turns to turn around and plow their routes when its snowing. they can go only so far with the amount of salt they have on before they turn and go for more

Edited by spike2231

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think that is a given. They operate and maintain the TSP, and can use it as they see fit.

When they closed the Carpenter road crossing we were told we should have our blue lights on when crossing there to avoid problems. I take our ambulance across that way pretty often, and you really have to be careful not to cause an accident since people on the parkway are not sure what to do when they see the ambulance waiting to cross.

I used to go to a lot of fatal accidents at that intersection and I can tell you there are a lot of people alive today because they finally closed it. Usually it was the local person crossing that pulled out in front of a car and got T boned, so it is our neighbors that are being saved.

To get to Hosner Mtn Road on the east side of the parkway get off at Rt 52 exit, turn right (West) , then turn left onto hosner mtn road just after Hyatts garage and it will take you across the new overpass. It will take you a few minutes longer then going through the SP barracks.

Just a heads up guys. I know that some people alter words to get a point across, without actually using the words they intended. Just be careful!!

QUOTE(x129K @ Dec 28 2007, 08:45 AM)

You pay TAXES, not anybodies salaries. That line is the most played out line of bullchit out there......

QUOTE(67-L57 @ Dec 28 2007, 09:13 AM)

Where do my taxes go? My fire taxes go to equipment, building maint., truck maint., and salaries, it isn't bullchit, is it overused? yes a little bit... but the simple fact is that I do indeed pay their salaries.

QUOTE(EMTbravo @ Aug 21 2007, 09:55 AM)

NOTICE:

PROFANE LANGUAGE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

From this point foward, any member found using profane language (or something that represents such), using symbols or other characters, to get around the automatic censors, or using vulgar or any other language to insult another member(s), will have their posting privledes immediately suspended for 3 months.

This post has been edited by xfirefighter484x: Yesterday, 09:34 AM

--------------------

"The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."

-Henry David Thoreau

"The probability of someone watching you (or listening on the radio) is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think that is a given. They operate and maintain the TSP, and can use it as they see fit.

???? :o:o:o

Edited by FFD941