Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OnTheWheel

Best Places To Cut Christmas Trees?

18 posts in this topic

Anyone have any good experiences this year? I hear Wilken's in Yorktown is slim pickens!

Fox Ridge Tree farm in Warwick, NY has hundreds of trees. I have been cutting my trees there for the past 4 years and always have a great time with the family.

Always had great trees and good time at Jones Family Farm in Shelton CT. Exit 49N of Merritt Parkway. They do have a website jonesfamilyfarm.com, $55 per tree

I answered my own question, went to Evergreen Tree Farm today and was very pleased. Amazing selection, took forever just to decide. Not too far off Taconic. Definitly worth the drive. They say they will probably be sold out by next Sunday.

Edited by OnTheWheel

I was going to ask the same question today, lol. My in-laws and wife used to go to a Christmas tree farm in LaGrange, that was run by a female alternative lifestyle commune. They supposedly had great trees, but like many farms in LaGrange, they have sold out to developers last year.

We're planning on going to cut our tree next weekend, but I'm wondering if we'll get a better tree at one of the fire department fundraising treee stands?? (I will only buy from departments that are selling to purchase firefighting related equipment, not to fund social activities). I personally like fresh cut though.

The thing about fresh cut trees that you cut down yourself is the needles last longer. The ones that are already cut, most are cut in September and October. We go out and get a fresh cut every year and I take it into the woods behind my house after we take it down and most were still green in March.

I know the one you mean Seth, we used to go there too. Now you have to go further north.

We just got back from this place in RED HOOK. We go every year with a bunch of people. TAILGATE cut down the tree and then have some HOLIDAY CHEER. Not a bad ride. Don't remember the name of the place but it is OFF THE TSP at the RED HOOK EXIT. Make a LEFT and follow about 4 miles on the LEFT. GOOD TIMES>

I've been going with a friend and his family to Jones Tree Farm in Shelton to pick out their tree for about eleven years. Its always a good time and theres usually a great selection of trees. There was only one year that we went someplace else because Jones had nothing left.

We just got back from this place in RED HOOK. We go every year with a bunch of people. TAILGATE cut down the tree and then have some HOLIDAY CHEER. Not a bad ride. Don't remember the name of the place but it is OFF THE TSP at the RED HOOK EXIT. Make a LEFT and follow about 4 miles on the LEFT. GOOD TIMES>

Battenfields on 308 in Red Hook is always a good choice

If you are looking for local FD's Roosevelt Station 1 on Cardinal Road in Hyde Park.

Battenfields on 308 in Red Hook is always a good choice

If you are looking for local FD's Roosevelt Station 1 on Cardinal Road in Hyde Park.

That's the one. Thanks.

I think that is called Battenfelds,A family run farm ,i"ve gotten a few trees there,pretty big place too,like you said its a good place to tailgate and make a day of it.

I think that is called Battenfelds,A family run farm ,i"ve gotten a few trees there,pretty big place too,like you said its a good place to tailgate and make a day of it.

:P To think, I take mine out of the attic each year, already bought with the lights on. Push the branches this way and that and decorate.

Sorry, those pine needles take forever to get rid of. :blink:

Edited by tunaFish

So, based on the fact that I'll hopefully be living just a little north of the area sometime soon (grrr on the housing market), I took the Jones Family Farm reccomendation. We went to get our tree this afternoon. It was AWESOME! I couldn't believe the amount of trees they still had-rolling hills with hundreds of acres of beautiful trees. A very busy but very organized operation. I hope this place stays around for a while, and no greedy developer gets his hand on it.

If it wasn't for this board, I would have never knew this place existed....and this will be the official Christmas Tree place from now on! I couldn't imagine NOT cutting down a tree ourselves! Thanks guys!

And, coming up on the Merritt Parkway, one out of every 5 cars had a tree almost guarenteed from this place on their roof.

Jones Family Farms, Shelton CT- HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!!!!

http://www.jonesfamilyfarms.com/

(P.S. Joe (Izzy) I really want to check out Derby, Ansonia, and Shelton some more....seems like really cool towns)

Here's me with the tree, right before I take it's life so it can sit in my living room for a month and then get tossed out....but I guess it's good in a way, it keeps money in agriculture and the tree usually reused somehow benefical. Plus, it's pretty and smells nice and puts me in the Christmas spirit.

post-11-1197145372.jpg

Is it true gss131 if you play bagpipes next to it and soak it in Guiness, it will last longer? 3 months and counting lad! :rolleyes:

if you play bagpipes next to it and soak it in Guiness, it will last longer? is there any other way? :lol:

I GOT LAZY HOME DEPOT BEAUTIFULL TREES FOR THE PAST 3-4 YEARS ITS GREAT TO GO TO THE FARMS AND CUT THEM DOWN BUT I HAVE 3 BOYS WHO FIGHT OVER THE CUTTING AND THEN NO ONE WANTS TO HELP GET THE TREE OUT TO THE CAR.....L :P AZY ME

My family cut down a tree one year but I cannot rember where we went.