Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

Strange Hose Load

18 posts in this topic

How is this for a interesting hose bed. Would anyone care to guess what happened here ?

post-2996-1197406970.jpg

Very festive for the holiday season

I am guessing they lost it on a road somwhere and laid out alot of hose no where near a fire lol.

My guess would be that whatever department that is had a bunch of the red 5" fail hose testing and didn't have any more of the red hose in stock so they took yellow hose off of their ancient, useless "reserve" pumper.

Just a guess.

Is that Engine 191? Because the inside of the firehouse looks like the Locust Ave Firehouse

If I was to look at the fact that both turk182 and myself are from Rye, and that the only Pierce that Rye has is Engine 191, then I would say it was.

But officially I have no comment.

hmmm, the only thing I can think of is that it's color coded based on lenght. The other thought that just popped into my head is they were running low on hose.

maybe they are color blind :rolleyes: .... or they just don't care about matching colors on their engines as long as it gets the job done

as long as it gets the job done who cares

Amen!

Kind of like the color of fire apparatus.

But that is a different thread!

hose is hose, If its not parade season who should really care?

as long as it does its job than there is not a issue

How is this for a interesting hose bed. Would anyone care to guess what happened here ?

post-2996-1197406970.jpg

Very festive for the holiday season

If i were to guess. The yellow depicts the first xx amount of feet laid out and the red the second xx amount of hose laid out.

In regards to the blue and green 2.5 or 3 hose.. the compartment below is for ladders. I know of a department that has the exact hose bed layout design.

other comments make sense also.

my 2 cents

Strange hose load- would that qualify the hose in question as a "strange lay" if the bed were emptied? ;)

KE

Here is the deal Steve242 hit the nail on the head. Monday was hose testing day, and guess what ALOT of the hose failed. If you look at the green and blue hose some of it is 3 inch some of it is 2 1/2 inch. Spare hose is at a bit of a premium so what ever there was is what went on for now(hopefully :unsure: ) The moral being two things: 1. Test your hose often. 2. Don't wait to the end of the year to do testing when there is no money left in the budget to replace what you lose.

Parade season? Who even cares about that. If the hose lays out properly mission accomplished.

I also was going to say other then being maticulous to match up the colors...looks good to me.

WHAT ! NO MONEY LEFT? Gee how can that happen?

If you look at my fire engine at work, you will find blue, green, red, white and yellow hose. It makes NO difference what color the hose is. It is really a nice idea to spec a new pump and new hose and lay things out based on color, until you actually begin to use the piece for work. You get back from a fire and need two lengths of green 1.75 hose, but you only bought enough for the crosslays, and no spare. Time for a multicolor hose lay, and at 3 in the morning, who cares what color it is.

As a side note, we do use a red length of 4" hose to mark the second to last length in the lay.

The way I look at it...its a nice idea in concept and on paper, but fails badly in practice. Its just not practical to have all sorts of extra hose in all sorts of colors at each station. Hey, if you're made of money and that kind of thing matters to you, go for it.

Just a thought, if you are short on spare hose when you repack, just have the nozzle length and the pump length the same color. This way the nozzle and pump operator will be seeing the same color line.

Edited by SteveOFD