Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Briarcliff Tanker MVA Discussion

34 posts in this topic

I've got a couple comments regarding this incident............

What a tragic and horrific scene. :-(

It seems like this happens every couple of years on 9A. I'm actually suprised it doesnt happen more often than it does.

The road is substandard. It is poorly maintained, it's outdated, poorly lit, signage is awful.....most of all....it's narrow,windy, substandard and unsafe!!! There's hardly any enforcment of the aggressive trucks that drive that route, but maybe that is because of the above conditions make stops hard.

The State of New York and the County Of Westchester should be ashamed of themselves for not doing ANYTHING about this dangerous roadway! Each year, it gets more and more congested, and being a car trying to compete with the trucks on that road is sometimes impossible. Something needs to be done, somebody needs to step up. But I don't think NYS, or WC gives a crap. :-(

About 6 or so years ago the same thing happenend at the same spot, what I find funny is I commute that stretch of road every day from the p'vill rd onramp to rt 100 n/b, the NYSDOT just spent all week replacing that section of guardrail!

I don't normally hand out compliments related to incidents. But in this case I would like to take my hat off To Briarcliff FD and all other departments involved in this incident.

I think the professionalism this incident was handled with is a testament to the health of the volunteer fire service in Westchester County.

As a captain who aspires to hold a higher office someday, it is nice to know that when you put the call out for mutual aid a dedicated, well trained, and professional unit(s) is on the way. This holds true for all the departments I have had the pleasure to work with.

Also, whoever rescued the victim in the car involved in the wreck whether it was a fireman, police officer, or passer by; you have a big set of BRASS BALLS.

Truly amazing if there turns out to be no loss of life related to this incident.

What likely happened here is the truck swung into the left lane at the last second due to the very low bridge clearance in the right lane, and caught the car under the trailer which ruptured the tanker.

Maybe one of these years the state will get rid of these antique low clearance bridge obstacles so trucks can continue to travel in the right lane without having to move over.

But I don't think NYS, or WC gives a crap. :-(

Well, this is the county whose idea of winter snow removal is "Ah, hell, wait for the sun to come out and melt it!"

As far as that bridge, it's ridiculously outdated. When I was a freshman at Pace, I lived not too far away in Briarcliff and I would frequently travel 9A to and from Pleasantville; there's something like a foot difference in the under-clearance of the bridge between the right lane and left lane.

And not to get on a rant here, but GOD FORBID any roadway in Westchester have adequate lighting.

Congrats to Briarcliff and all the m/a towns for a good save, and may God bless the rescuer, as God Himself was watching over the scene.

I was there and I have to Say that it was a wery herktic on the radio but everyone knew what to do. BFD did a GREAT JOB they had the fire knock down pretty quick for a tanker. P'ville set our whole Dept we provided protection for the homes closet to 9A. We also attack the brush fire on the hil that were coming close to the houses. After it was knock down we sent R-47 e-260 and 2372 to cover their HQ with Tanker 12 and Ladder 44. Once again great job done by all.

Route 9A in Briarcliff Manor remains closed after fiery crash 

By LIZ SADLER 

THE JOURNAL NEWS 

(Original publication: November 17, 2004) 

BRIACRCLIFF MANOR — Two people were badly burned tonight in a fiery crash involving a tanker truck and a car on Route 9A. 

The northbound tanker, laden with 4,700 gallons of gasoline, crashed near the Pleasantville Road overpass about 7 p.m., flipped onto its side and erupted into flames. Its driver, who was badly burned and helped by a passer-by, was taken to Westchester Medical Center. The woman in the car was helped out by another passer-by and was flown to the medical center. 

Their identities and conditions were not available. 

When firefighters from several municipalities arrived, they were met by intense flames and could not get within 100 yards of the vehicles remains, Briarcliff Manor Fire Chief William Ventura said. The county Hazardous Materials Unit and the state Department of Environmental Conservation were at the scene to try to contain the gasoline spill, which threatened to reach the nearby Pocantico River. 

Absorbent booms were placed in a swampy area between Routes 9A and 100, where the gasoline seeped into. The entire area was covered by white foam, which was sprayed to prevent the fire from reigniting. 

Routes 9A and 100, as well as Pleasantville Road, were expected to remain closed today. 

"Everything that is closed now will remain that way indefinitely," said Briarcliff Manor Police Chief Norman Campion, whose department is in charge of the investigation

Not to be overly critical, but why would you fly a patient from that scene when you can be at the Medical Center in half the time by ground?

If you want to see pictures, check out News 12, but PLEASE MUTE THE SOUND. They are clueless and the coverage leaves a bit to be desired. Can anyone tell us how many patients there ACTUALLY were and any word on condition?

I believe there were 2 patients from the accident who were transported to WMC. One P/T had about 60% burns over his body. Not sure how severe the burns were. The p/t driving the truck was also transported, no word on what his injuries were.

It's definatly a miracle that both people survived. With the tanker exploding and supposedly the car hitting the underside of the truck, there was definatly a higher power at work here. At least this one didn't take out the overpass, although considering people's feeling about the bridge, It might have been a good thing.

Truck Driver went to WCMC via Air 1, Pt in car went ALS via 53B1 to WCMC, 1 Firefighter went to PMH BLS W/a minor hand injury later in the night.

I drove E247 to the scene. We were walking into our officers meeting at our HQ when BMFD got the job. We knew that we would be called for at least one of our foam rigs so we took precation and got ready. I had 247 on the ramp when the box was upgraded for foam. 2252 already took U-44 to our substation and got our foam reserve. E-247 and U44 were on location about 3 minutes after the tones dropped for us with 80 gal of foam on 247 (40A 40B) and another 80 gallons or so on U-44. We still had E-248 with 90 gallons and MA-10 with 30 gallons in reserve if needed. E-92 & E94 were right off 9A o/s from the P-Ville road on ramp, there was a BeeLine bus stopped between us and E247 located on 9A diagonally infront of E94 and E92 with 92 supplying us via 3inch. All said we flowed about 80 gal of B and 40 gal of A foam (didn't really need to move that much A foam to coat the brush, but by accident someone filled our A tank with B foam and we wanted to drain it)

An ex-chief of mine relieved me at the pump panal about 5 minutes after arrival and I went to work with my crew. Briarcliff did a great job of containing it with straight water. I think they eventualy put a traditional bucket & eductor line in service as well. We then had one of their lines cool the cab while we knocked down the trailer. Once we had an opportunity to step back, we added a length to one of our two foam lines and went all the way in to extinguish the remainder of the tank. There were two guys and a BFD Capt or LT that backed us up I wish I knew their names...

After the fire was extinguished we wrapped up in less than an hour. Thanks to BMFD for getting us back in service quickly. Just as we were pulling out a fresh blanket of foam was coming from the bridge area down onto the truck.... I think it was one of the down county foam units that had arrived from the training center or Fairview.

Yeh that was fairview

A Round of applaus to Briarcliff, Millwood, and Ossining fire departments for one hell of a job on Rt. 9A last night!

A round of applause to all departments involved. You guys kept a bad situation from getting even worse.

Was Tarrytown FD ever paged out for standby any where?

I was on the TSP South Bound at the time of this incident in Millwood and you could see the fire from the TSP :yikes:

Who's heavy wrecker was that doing the recovery work?

The foam trailer was a joint effort of Westchester County Department of Emergency Services and Con Edison. It responded with Squad 6 - the Greenburgh area's "Special Services Squad," organized via the WCDES.

The trailer and Squad are stored at and respond with Fairview.

One of the chopper shots down made it appear that it was a Stiloski's wrecker. No confirm though.

yeah it was Stiloski's. Not many other companies around here have that capability.

I believe Dosins has one... :D

Thats a negative on Stiloski's, A & P Collision was on scene with 5 trucks, 1 Heavy 60 ton wrecker, 2 medium duty wreckers, 1 Flatbed, & 1 Tractor with a low-boy trailer. The tow operation began at appx. 0200hrs and commenced at 0630, it took 2 trips with the low-boy to move the tanker out and the car was removed with the flatbed.

though I posted a reply concerning this in another thred...again....squad 6 is not the foam trailer and was not dispatched...though I understand the bus may have been used to pull the trailer...though that is a problem,I understand, because this IS a piece of the squad 6 equipment and not fairviews to use as a trailer hitch. By using the bus they took along equipment that is part of the squad 6.

County Utility 70,,,is the foam trailer availible to any department .

As Remember585 said,, it was a joint Partnership with Con ED and WC depts.

It is simply stored at Fairview FD station 2 and ready for responce ,,pulled by SQ6 or any other vehicle with the hitch.

Good job by everyone that responded. =D>

Excellent job by All dispatchers !! and BMPD desk officer whom answered all the frantic phone calls and transmitted the alrm so calmly.

it was a&p collision from north water street ossining with a heavy tow , small tow and a flat bed and also a low boy trailer. I know because my husband worked the scene with NYSDOT. GREAT JOB TO ALL!!!!!