Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Can you see me now?

27 posts in this topic

Something that caught my eye this morning as I was catching up on some news from the BBC News Site (talking about bad weather and high winds)

_44394616_lorry-pa-203.jpg

Seems pretty visible, without a cacophany of lights to blind everyone :blink::P

I guess those chevrons realy are effective. At first I thought they were ugly and didnt see where they would make much difference, but they are realy visible and they dont make people go into epileptic fits like some of the strobe packages today do....and Im talking about personal vehicles!! :P

moved from Fire and EMS Photography

This can stir a good discussion!

(Almost) Everyone loves red fire apparatus, however RED is among the less visible of vehicle colors.

The color and markings of emergency vehicles are very important for motorist visibility.

Warning Lights are only a part of the scheme.

Studies have revealed collision rates of departments with lime-yellow vehicles experienced less than half the number of collisions than departments with traditional red vehicles. Highway studies also indicate cream, yellow and white objects are the most visible.

There seem to be no statewide or federal standards or requirements for emergency vehicle markings.

Should there be?

moved from Fire and EMS Photography

This can stir a good discussion!

(Almost) Everyone loves red fire apparatus, however RED is among the less visible of vehicle colors.

Studies have revealed collision rates of departments with lime-yellow vehicles experienced less than half the number of collisions than departments with traditional red vehicles.

Not everyone "loves" red fire apparatus. A few of us still prefer lime yellow for the reason you see in the BBC picture - it is a lot more visible. Visibility is the key to getting the motoring public to slow down around our work zones. If color is the way to do it, and if studies prove it is safer, then FD's and other agencies should be more progressive in protecting its members and start specing apparatus with "safer" color schemes.

I first came from a dept. with red trucks....I now belong to a company where we are the only company in our dept with lime trucks. Personally i have grown to love them and understand how they are much more visible. One of the other companys in our dept have a boreshead theme with the red over black and personally i feel it is unsafe b/c of the lack of visiblity.

post-3857-1201818677.jpg

post-3857-1201818692.jpg

As jack10562 stated above, I also thought that "this could stir a good discussion".

This being which color is the "safest" apparatus color. I guess by the lack of opposing responses "everyone" knows which color is the safest (lime yellow), they just don't want to admit it. ;)

Edited by SteveOFD

As jack10562 stated above, I also thought that "this could stir a good discussion".

This being which color is the "safest" apparatus color. I guess by the lack of opposing responses "everyone" knows which color is the safest (lime yellow), they just don't want to admit it. ;)

Wait a minute, had to go to the bathroom to puke after seeing that green fire engine, did look the same in the bowl. :rolleyes:

I believe Fairview (or was it something-dale...) was one of the area's first departments with apparatus PCFD ENG58's favorite, color.

There are not that many others, locally, although you gotta admit, those "green" trucks do stand out.

Studies have revealed collision rates of departments with lime-yellow vehicles experienced less than half the number of collisions than departments with traditional red vehicles. Highway studies also indicate cream, yellow and white objects are the most visible.

I'd like to see the study, particularly if they compare call volume, population density, highway response, training, etc. There's a lot to it I guess. I grew up in an FD that had Slime Lime rigs, and they got into very few accidents, but I think that might've had something to do with the call volume. I did hit a parked car while backing up though - I'm surprised he didn't see me coming! :P

I remember Firehouse Magazine did an article years ago about this, and they had a picture of Verplanck's Slime Lime 1980 Hahn, Engine 128.

I must admit though, I do like it....

Edited by FFNick

Peekskill FD Engine 130 which was a 1975 Mack CF600

was Lime Yellow from 1975 until 1985 when it was refurbished to Red/White.

I do like Red Fire Apparatus but E130 did look REALLY SHARP Lime Yellow!

:D

Said it before, I'll say it again.

Doesn't matter what color, or how many bells and whistles you have on a rig. Someone will find a way to crash it, or into it. :P

I'd like to see the study, particularly if they compare call volume, population density, highway response, training, etc.

Exactly! If the study took all of the apparatus accidents in a given time period and then looked at the color of the apparatus, of course red would be involved in more! There are 10 times the red apparatus as compared to yellow/green/whatever. If you studied the different colors of apparatus and determined their rate of accident (X accidents per number of runs) you would have a true comparison.

We have "Boars Head" schemed apparatus that is very visible, due to black reflective tape, red/white chevrons on the rear, and quality (not quantity) lighting. I think the unpainted roll-up doors help during the day as they provide color contrast when the reflective stuff isn't bright.

JBE is right, most people aren't even looking at the apparatus they're watching the scene, the smoke, flames, people being extricated and are not paying attention to where the nose of the vehicle is pointing. Add in a cell phone and you'd be better off deploying a sniper than cones!

post-2846-1202835997.jpg What wrong with that truck She is a Bueaty

Everyone is afraid to Admit that Green Fire trucks are the way To GO

Just a small Preview of the New E-ONE Rescue Pumper E128

what color will it be when it ripens?

Haha Our trucks Never Ripen The Radiation From Indian Point Keep them Green!!!!

Irishfire2491

Do you have the picture of the rear of the rig? I bet they'd like to see the reflective green chevron job!

I had it, but can't seem to locate it... :huh:

Haha Our trucks Never Ripen The Radiation From Indian Point Keep them Green!!!!

IS THAT 3 LEAF MOLD GROWING RIGHT SIDE FRONT OF CAB?

Irish - There are newer pics out there where the rear has the green and white hi-vis chevrons. I had 'em, but I think I deleted them by mistake.

yea I dont have any new update photos the truck should be in tomorrow or in the up coming week I will try to get some great shots and post them So Seth keep you ears open for the Wet DOWN

Looking around online, here is any interesting chevron idea that I have never seen or heard of. I found this on a site focusing on Texas Apparatus.

Ft. Worth E27

Arlington E1 & E2

Definately chases the eye without any emergency lights activated.

as the saying goes, 'you can't fix stupid!'

And stupid keeps us in business... so stay out there guys and gals.

And stupid keeps us in business... so stay out there guys and gals.

And stupid kills and injures us too. :angry:

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

OOOOPS! I meant to write stay safe out there because I was thinking the same thing you were.

Edited by gpdexplorer