Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers FD's Newest Mack (Yup, That's Right-New Mack)

14 posts in this topic

Mack makes its return to Yonkers!!

Yonkers FD has taken delivery of a brand new Mack for assignement to the Special Operations Division.

http://www.emtbravo.com/SpyShots/YonkersFDMackGranite.html

Spy photos at the link above taken by me today, Wednesday February 6th, 2008 at 1000hrs

I'm assuming installation of a lighting package and siren and Yonkers FD striping is imminent?

I'm assuming installation of a lighting package and siren and Yonkers FD striping is imminent?

Yes, it will be outfitted with lights, sirens, radios, striping, toolboxes, and other equipment. It was just delivered on Monday, and Yonkers FD has many new Support Services pieces going into service, so with that it should be ready to go within a couple of weeks.

This will tow the Hackney USAR trailer when delivered later this year. It's also capable of towing the new FireBlast Mobile Fire Training Simulator delivered last week, as well as the water tanker and other YFD trailers.

Whats up with the surplus looking military tanker that it's backed up to?

Tanker 13? Tanker 17?

Just kidding.... But whats it for.

Can't wait to see it when it's all done-up. She's a beauty!

Whats up with the surplus looking military tanker that it's backed up to?

Tanker 13? Tanker 17?

Just kidding.... But whats it for.

It was aqquired for free via US Military surplus. It's for use during disaster situations or where water supply is needed in situations such as a water main break or a large extended fire in the "tree streets" area AKA Nodine Hill, where the hydrant pressure can be very low. It can also be used if hydrants are out in a dense area due to construction, etc. It's also available mutual aid to communities that need it. At least that is the way it was explained to me.

Seth, nice shots bro!

Congrats to YFD on her delivery, its a sweet looking truck. It will doubt serve them well, as it is a Mack!

Question: When this rig is needed, who operates (drives) it? Is it a FF asigned to Special Ops or a member of fleet maintenance? I would assume, whoever operates it must have a Class-A CDL, no?

Wow. I wonder why the Mack Granite chassis hasn't caught on in New York to mount Fire Apparatus.

Cases in point: Hardwick, MA runs a 3500 gallon tanker.

Westwood, NJ runs a BIG Mack Granite Rescue.

Why haven't we seen a similar Rescue in New York, or maybe the new Yonkers Foam Unit? Just wondering, I think we'd all like to see Macks back in the Fire Business. Nice shots BTW Seth.

-Joe DA BUFF

I "digitally kitbashed" this truck, primarily using Bethel, CT's Mack Granite/4 Guys front bumper and placed it on this rig. I love Bethel's custom 4 Guys bumper, and this proves it looks good on any granite. And, of course, had to add the bell!

Hope you enjoy, again this is a FICTIONAL rendering!

post-11-1202333131.jpg

That front end says "Look out or I'll crush you!" :blink:

Now, if only they put the cab on a monster truck. :lol:

Mike

Seth, nice shots bro!

Congrats to YFD on her delivery, its a sweet looking truck. It will doubt serve them well, as it is a Mack!

Question: When this rig is needed, who operates (drives) it? Is it a FF asigned to Special Ops or a member of fleet maintenance? I would assume, whoever operates it must have a Class-A CDL, no?

Emergency Vehicle operators are typically exempt from federal CDL regulations. That being said I wouldn't just anybody drive a truck that big. BTW it's a water tender...remember NIMS says it a tender, a tanker is an airplace that drops water. ;)

Edited by NJMedic

Thanks Seth, that will do for now. Nice touch with the bell and the "Q" on the bumper. It would be cool if they put those on it for real.

Emergency Vehicle operators are typically exempt from federal CDL regulations. That being said I wouldn't just anybody drive a truck that big. BTW it's a water tender...remember NIMS says it a tender, a tanker is an airplace that drops water. ;)

In Canada a tanker is a fire apparatus that hauls alot of water from 1500 gallons and up.

Water tender is not used in Canada for Fire apparatus thst I know of at least in Eastern Canada.

Also in Nova Scotia all professional fire department operators have to have a Class 3 license, air brake endorsement and it is stamped Automatic or manual transmission use only depaending on what is used for you drivers test.

I can see that changing to a mandatory requirement someday.