Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Your Fire/EMS Pagers...

19 posts in this topic

What Fire/EMS pager do you prefer? Minitor I II III IV? Or other? I have to edmit that I like the minitor IV. I think it sounds better. I also like the Minitor II. It seems that the Minitor IV is always breaking or always malfunctioning.

I have the minitor II and I have not had the pleasure of using a newer mode but it works fine so i don't care

minitor II deffinatly has a better range of reception then that of the IV, i like the vibrate on the IV from the stand point when your in class or when your in a public place you don;t have your tones goin crazy and having people jump and look all around.. i presently have both.. i carry the IV when i am working and stuff as it is smaller then the II, and because of the vibrate, but the 2 is deffinatly better at picking up hartsdales communications so after dispatch i usually switch over to the II while responding in my Car... but thats my opinion

I currently have been issued a Minitor IV. I like the fact that there is a vibrate option and a playback feature. The playback feature works well due to the ability to replay the dispatch info. The vibrate option also works well, although the new Minitor IV's vibrate is currently programmed for the new LMFD UHF freq., which is not up and running yet. My old Minitor III had vibrate and that worked well in noisy environments or when audio beeps are not appropriate. My original Minitor II worked well when I was using that. If I had to choose, I would prefer the Minitor IV.

The features of the III and IV are very nice, especially the vibrate, scan, and voice record. However neither of these models come close to matching the durability of a minitor II...They also arent as selective for tone recognition....our pagers activate to rye once in a while, also katonah every once in a while....and just last week i was notified of a EMS run in briarcliff through a yorktown pager......as with most things, they dont make 'em like they used to....

I also have a director II. It's the same as a Minitor II but it doesn't have the monitor option. It's not bad. Anyone else own a Director?

The playback feature works well due to the ability to replay the dispatch info.
CG206,

How do you replay the dispatch on the MIV??? :shock:

Minitor II is the way to go. Even though it doesn't have the vibrate option i have never missed a call because it didn't go off.

DFFD227,

There is a recorder built in that records the original message. When you want to replay the message, there is a small button on top of the channel selector (A,B,C,D knob). Just push it and plays past 2 minutes worth of dispatches.

DFFD, if that button isn't there that CG describes, don't be alarmed. The playback feature is an option on the Minitor pagers. Yours may not have it.

Yes, but isn't that the reset button? After a call, you hit that and it goes to sleep mode (or wait till another call happends)

I currently have a IV the second one ive had, I broke the other one, Before that the III I had broke too, have gone through 3 pagers in 2 years, and before that I had a II that had the best reception but it occasionaly went off for yorktowns monday night test!, the IV is much betther that the III, the knobs are much bigger and they click into position unlike the III when I sat down the knob rolled in to monitor mode and was quite annoying, also the volume on the IV is allot louder than the III, But the weirdest thing was my nextel used to trip the alert on my II and III for no reason

I prefer no pager, LOL.

Hey, does anyone know if these new pagers out are any good? Check out this site : http://www.pwservice.com/pagers.htm and take a look at these new pagers...anyone have any experiance with them?

Reception is horrible withthe Minitor III. The Minitor IV is just a reworked version of the III from my understanding. The biggest problem I've seen with the Minitor III/IV is that he knobs have a tendency to fall off or come off after many hours of use. I prefer to just have my HT1000, which can be programmed to recognize up to two sets of tones. I have mine programmed for the 35 and 45 medics. Unortunatly the tower i north salem is not very good for distance so I actually find that the range on a Minitor IV in an amplified charging base works better in Lewisboro and Mount Kisco.

Yea, I have a Director II, and a Minitor IV, and they work fine, But what I ment was, these Newer ones. There is a pager called the Quattrino Fire Pager by SWISSPHONE, this looks pretty neat actually( http://www.pwservice.com/quattrino.htm )...Just wondering if anyone knows how this works, or if it's any good? Another one I was looking at is the DE900. It's another pager made by SWISSPHONE ( http://www.pwservice.com/de900.htm ) and this one looks pretty cool. It's gotta screen so maybe it's Alpha?

Another one I was looking at is the DE900. It's another pager made by SWISSPHONE ( http://www.pwservice.com/de900.htm ) and this one looks pretty cool. It's gotta screen so maybe it's Alpha?

According to the web site, it's an alpha page only, NOT a voice pager.

I have always had a Minitor II pager since i joined the FD, and had one for the VAC as well. The VAC also issued portable radios, so i didn't wear my pager much. Recently, i was elected 2nd LT. of my dept. and unfortunately was issued a Minitor III. I begged my Assist. Chief(in charge of equip.) so that i could keep my Minitor II, but i couldn't because i needed to have officers tones. I went as far as to offer to pay out of my own pocket to have officers tones added to my Minitor II, but to no avail! The Minitor III seems delicate and the volume & reception are horrible. My Minitor III sometimes doesn't go off and sometimes it goes off for no reason, which is quite aggravating. I have to say from my experiences and from talking with other people, the Minitor II is the better pager. Like 57Crew, i have never missed an alarm due to a malfunction with the Minitor II. I think that the Minitor II is was built better, with stronger parts than the newer Minitors. I wear my Minitor II to work where i am outside and on the move all day and the Minitor II definately takes a beating, as opposed to the newer models. Although the Minitor II doesn't have all the "fancy" features as the III and IV have, i'd still take a Minitor II anyday! My Chief has advised me that Minitor IV's have been ordered for myself and the 1st LT. and should be in shortly. I will let you all know how i feel about the IV when i can form an opinion. Also, as an officer, i am issued a Nextel which is thankfully hooked-up to 60-Control's CAD system, so i also recieve calls through text-messaging via 60-control. This is an excellent asset, however i usually recieve the calls on an average of 2 minutes later than when the pagers are activated. So to be safe, i still carry the Minitor III and hope it goes off, but if not, i have the Nextel! :D

I was issued a Minitor IV about a week ago, and i must say i am quite impressed with it. The sound, volume and reception is incredible! For example, i was monitoring the 10-75 in White Plains tonight and i could clearly hear all the M/A units, and the pager wasn't even in the charger. So far, so good, i can not think of any complaints yet.