Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Pelham Manor- 10 Years Ago Today

25 posts in this topic

We were sent to the scene after taking care of a malfunctioning boiler in MV, FDMV R1 to meet up with Eng 6 And Trk 2. We ended up putting fire out in the penthouse apartments like it was a training drill. Then the FDNY rolled in with I think an overall 3rd alarm assignment. Interesting morning!

From some old notes:

2287 Boston Road

19 Engines, 19 Ladders- including 15 companies from the Bronx.

Bronx Box 66-75-4400

0455hrs- Tenant caller from Apartment A54 reports odor of smoke. Had previously hear what sounded like 'animals scratching in the walls.'

Initial Alarm: E-1, 2; TL-3

0502hrs- Co's with light smoke condition in Apt. A54.

0505hrs- Co's rpt heavy fire from plumbing vents and pipe chase on 5th floor. PD evacuating the building.

M/A Pelham E-4, 5; L-2; R-45 to scene.

0528hrs- Pelham Manor re-tone for manpower, confirmed working fire.

0535hrs- Co's rpt heavy smoke in the roof top penthouse.

0546hrs- M/A New Rochelle E-22, L-12, TL-11, R-4 to scene.

0547hrs- M/A Mount Vernon E-6, Snorkel 3, R-1 to scene.

0550hrs- Incoming units to the roof for trench cuts, 'A'-wing.

0610hrs- M/A Eastchester E-29 to scene and hit a hydrant. M/A Millwood R-36, Mamaroneck Village U-20 for cascade. M/A FDNY to cover.

0630hrs- CMD req. incoming FDNY units to redirect to the scene.

0637hrs- Heavy fire roof level, penthouse and dropping down to the top floor over the 'A' and "B' wings.

0700hrs- M/A Mamaroneck Village E-40, 41, L-20 to scene.

0710hrs- M/A Harrison TL-24 to scene.

0727hrs- FDNY transmitting 2nd Alarm for Box 4400 with additional (2) Engines, (2) Trucks, Rescue 3 to the scene.

0735hrs- M/A Port Chester E-61, L-31 to scene. Harrison TL-24 to respond to the country club to gain access to the rear of the building on the golf course.

0750hrs- M/A Fairview E-174, Greenville L-4 to scene. Co's to respond to the rear of the building via the golf course.

0800hrs- Heavy fire throughout the top floor, cockloft, penthouse over all wings.

0840hrs- Req. front-end loader from the village to the rear of the building to remove L-4 from the mud.

0900hrs- Fire dropping down to lower floors through shafts.

1312hrs- Fire U/C.

MM- Where's the rundown of Yonkers Companies assigned ? I know we were there .

From some old notes:

2287 Boston Road

19 Engines, 19 Ladders- including 15 companies from the Bronx.

Bronx Box 66-75-4400

0455hrs- Tenant caller from Apartment A54 reports odor of smoke. Had previously hear what sounded like 'animals scratching in the walls.'

0502hrs- Co's with light smoke condition in Apt. A54.

0505hrs- Co's rpt heavy fire from plumbing vents and pipe chase on 5th floor. PD evacuating the building.

M/A Pelham E-4, 5; L-2; R-45 to scene.

0528hrs- Pelham Manor re-tone for manpower, confirmed working fire.

0535hrs- Co's rpt heavy smoke in the roof top penthouse.

0546hrs- M/A New Rochelle E-22, L-12, TL-11, R-4 to scene.

0547hrs- M/A Mount Vernon E-6, Snorkel 3, R-1 to scene.

0550hrs- Incoming units to the roof for trench cuts, 'A'-wing.

0610hrs- M/A Eastchester E-29 to scene and hit a hydrant. M/A Millwood R-36, Mamaroneck Village U-20 for cascade. M/A FDNY to cover.

0630hrs- CMD req. incoming FDNY units to redirect to the scene.

0637hrs- Heavy fire roof level, penthouse and dropping down to the top floor over the 'A' and "B' wings.

0700hrs- M/A Mamaroneck Village E-40, 41, L-20 to scene.

0710hrs- M/A Harrison TL-24 to scene.

0727hrs- FDNY transmitting 2nd Alarm for Box 4400 with additional (2) Engines, (2) Trucks, Rescue 3 to the scene.

0735hrs- M/A Port Chester E-61, L-31 to scene. Harrison TL-24 to respond to the country club to gain access to the rear of the building on the golf course.

0750hrs- M/A Fairview E-174, Greenville L-4 to scene. Co's to respond to the rear of the building via the golf course.

0800hrs- Heavy fire throughout the top floor, cockloft, penthouse over all wings.

0840hrs- Req. front-end loader from the village to the rear of the building to remove L-4 from the mud.

0900hrs- Fire dropping down to lower floors through shafts.

1312hrs- Fire U/C.

I have the full, official M/A list somewhere....I have to dig it out.

Some of the FDNY companies were E-62, 79, 48; L-32, 50, 41, 51; R-3

Larchmont and Town Of Mamaroneck for cover.

That's the old Tower Ladder 11 working at that job, isn't it?

Wow.... Why was Rescue 3 sent? Just curious.

-Joe DA BUFF

Wow.... Why was Rescue 3 sent? Just curious.

-Joe DA BUFF

FDNY Rescue 3 on scene with Full Assignment from the Bronx. Before F.A.S.Teams they were ready for anything!

If I'm not mistaken, weren't units dispatched earlier in the evening to that same location for some type of electrical problem in one of the apts.?

The female in this apartment was pregnant and with the hormones going wild she had developed an extremely keen sense of smell. She was asleep at the time and her sense of smell awoke her and she then called in the alarm.

Due to the fact that this fire was in the walls and not much smoke in the apartments, the smoke alarms in the units did not activate. One of the apartment doors was left open as the smoke increased and made its way out into the hallway where the buildings fire alarm activated sounding the interior alarms. This notified most of the tenants and they were self evacuating as PMFD arrived on the scene. One couple awoke to the alarm and went back to sleep to wake up a short time later and turned on the T.V. to see breaking news and saw their building was on fire and then they left.

Pelham Manor has had a fire alarm for multiple occupancy buildings code for some time. At this fire the alarm greatly assisted PMFD with reducing the risk of injury and death to the occupants.

Ahhhh back in the day before everyone had to make sure that they had a cascade.... R-36 went everywhere...... Pelham, White Plains, Yonkers...... You name it.

Ahhhh back in the day before everyone had to make sure that they had a cascade.... R-36 went everywhere...... Pelham, White Plains, Yonkers...... You name it.

I was going to say...dayum. Thats one hell of a trip

Wow this was a big job.

Edited by pcfdrfd700

I was scheduled to do an FTO tour on Tac2 with Keisha Munn that day...but I banged out.

Tac 2 spent the whole tour there..........

New Rochelle R4 filled alot of bottles in southern Westchester for some time before everyone got their cascades

New Rochelle R4 filled alot of bottles in southern Westchester for some time before everyone got their cascades

Yup.... R-36 arrived in 1990, U-12 had the air pump, Greenburgh C.D., and Rescue 4 were it for a long time.... Depending on the job sometimes 3 or 4 of those rigs were on the scene..... Lets see who's got'em today although some are older than others...

Larchmont

T.O. Mamaroneck

Bedford Hills

Yorktown

Katonah

Chappaqua

Croton Falls

South Salem

Millwood

Briarcliff

Continental Village

Irvington

FDNR

Buchannan

as well as others that I'm missing I'm sure (I think Valhalla might have a small one on R-9)

Edited by mfc2257

I was a probie dispatcher working in the Bronx CO that morning. Really cold and brisk morning. We originally sent 1 and 1(E-63 and L-32) and the 15 BN to cover Pelham. Then got redirected to the job. We were looking around for companies with fittings for the area. It ended up being the Engines Mike mentioned, along with 72 and the Satellite, pretty much a second alarm plus worth of units, although it stayed at an all hands. I think 48 Engine went up with fittings. But I can't believe it's been 10 years already. I do remember the chief from the 15 calling us later and telling us if it had been his fire, he would have dumped a 3rd the minute he pulled up.

If I'm not mistaken, weren't units dispatched earlier in the evening to that same location for some type of electrical problem in one of the apts.?

We went to food on stove in C section. A section was where the fire started.

R1- If my memory serves me correctly I think Battalion 2 and L70 were sent with an Engine Co. (I believe either E311 or E313).

Edited by BFarr156

R1- If my memory serves me correctly I think Battalion 2 and L70 were sent with an Engine Co. (I believe either E311 or E313).

-Yes Chief, it was E-311, L-70 & Batt-2.

Kinda reminds me of the Summit Ave apartment building fire in Port Chester in the late 70's.

I can't believe it's ten years! I checked out the pictures and there was L4 stuck on the practice green of the golf course. If it wasn't for the Village's front end loader we would have to leave it there and make a minature golf course around it. I remeber working the D expossure building with 61 engine and then working the penthouse with FDNR. Tommy Mo was there so I got to work a job with him.

I to remember ladder 4 stuck in the mud---apparatus driver gave me the now famous words "dont worry Capt I can get it in there!!! " response from Capt 32 "You sure??" answer "i can make it fit like a glove no problem" four hours later a front end loader had to pull us out of the mud. It didnt stop us from working the fire. Adapt and ovecome.

I to remember ladder 4 stuck in the mud---apparatus driver gave me the now famous words "dont worry Capt I can get it in there!!! " response from Capt 32 "You sure??" answer "i can make it fit like a glove no problem" four hours later a front end loader had to pull us out of the mud. It didnt stop us from working the fire. Adapt and ovecome.

He was right he said it could fit. And it did...........