Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Baltimore Cop Under Fire For Handling Of Skateboarder

65 posts in this topic

Sometimes, I think YouTube is a bad thing.

I bet this kid was being a punk to officers. But the YouTube clip doesn't show that. I'm down in Baltimore at a training class, and it's big news. They interviewed the mother, and she said that her son couldn't hear what the officer was saying because he had his iPod playing! And the kid said he knew he wasn't supposed to be skating (in the Inner Harbor Promenade), and he would have left if asked. And he says that calling the Officer "Dude" was OK because that's the lingo all his friends use.

With the media constantly dragging Police Officers through the mud, PARENTS need to teach their children to have some respect for authority figures! That kid, thirty years ago, the treatment would have been A+ by the officer, followed up by his father. What a punk.

Although, I do think the officers handling of this incident was a bit intense. And it's incidents like this that make Cops look bad, especially now that it's all over YouTube.

QUOTE OF THE VIDEO: "Obviously, your parents don't put you foot in your butt often enough!!"

Your thoughts??

WATCH THE VIDEO:

I'm not going to second-guess anyone's actions, since I wasn't there... but I am curious about one thing: How did the officer not notice that someone was standing right there taking a video of the whole thing?

Sure the cop was over the top, but respect goes both ways, if the kid showed some, I'm sure it would've been a whole lot different.

Interesting comments on YouTube - Police brutality? Come on. The kid deserves a boot up his arse.

Edited by FFNick

Wait, what exactly did the officer do wrong? So he yelled at the kid... big deal. Little punk probably deserved it.

Take this example.

Cops in a local Village PD have told 11-12 year old middle schoolers to go home after finding them "Hanging out" in the Village at two or three O'clock in the mornning. This seems to be a local thing.

Next day, Parents call the mayor (small village) and say that the cops are harrasing their kids. So, now the cops leave these kids alone, and you routinely see middle schoolers wandering the streets of a desolate village, yet one that has a major thougroughfare running through it.

Parents today, for the majority, don't parent. They'd rather be friends with their kids then parents. I mean, what parent lets their MIDDLE SCHOOLER hang out in a dark, desolated village at 3AM!!! Where are they? And the Cops can't shoo them away because of fear of "harrasment complaints". Meanwhile, these kids know they can mouth off to officers, and sometimes do. Also, this village has rampant alchohol and drug abuse problems, starting in middle school.

What I'm trying to get at here is that although this officer was a bit rough, these kids nowadays are mouthing off to authorities more then ever before. Some have complete disrespect for the law.

How do we solve conflicts like the above? Who teaches them to have respect for the law? A "Youth Officer". Or a "Zero Tolerance, No Bull" policy.

I also feel some Cops are to blame....especially younger ones. Instead of treating kids with mutual respect, many take the "AUTHORITY" role and play it too far. Some teenagers I know hate cops because of this....if they had been treated a little better, or talked to reasonably and without attitude, they might have more respect for the law.

The sad thing is Seth, that these are the same little, disrespectful, know it all punks that are joining the Fire Service of today. Your right, it's time for Mommy and Daddy to start parenting and stop being their friends. Then again if the parents look down on Cops and berate them in front of their children, what do ya expect?

When I was a kid, this cop would have been well within his right to drag my arse home and tell my parents what happened. He would then know that when he left, the situation would be handled, and I'd be a better member of society for it. Job well done, everyone makes out in the end.

Today, everything is glorified, everyone is a bad a$$, and authority figures (PD, school teacher, etc.) are the "problem".

Yes, the cop over reacted, no doubt. And yes, he's probably gonna get in more trouble than the kid. That's the real tragedy here, in my opinion.

The best line (and it got cut off) was "You got that camera on? Cause if I find myself on...."

We'll never know if he was going to correctly predict "YouTube" but I'd like to think so.

Kids should learn to respect cops. I for one have no problem with somebody getting tossed around if they mouth off to a cop. I'm probably in the same age group as the kid, but I, unlike him, have respect for the law. You can't skateboard in inner harbor, its clearly marked. So don't do it and you won't get hassled by the cops.

My 2 cents, turn the kid around and kick him in the butt. Or to drive the stupid kids home, Kick him or taze him in the scrotum! (the balls) I've witnessed a LACK of care for parents in my generation. Not only that, but some kids think it's alright to consume alcohol underage. Needless to say I've never had a drop.I almost wanna open a can of whoop--- on them for 1. being stupid and 2. being disrespectful. :angry:

One more thing, since they were skateboarding in a no-skateboard zone, the cop should've broken the skateboard. Make the little punks upset, they weren't following the law and they need to know the word consequence.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Kid needs his butt kicked for sure but big mistake putting hands on. I'm afraid that may hurt the officer if anything comes out of this.

Sure the cop was over the top, but respect goes both ways, if the kid showed some, I'm sure it would've been a whole lot different.

Interesting comments on YouTube - Police brutality? Come on. The kid deserves a boot up his arse.

And how old are those commenting on it? Teenagers- 20 y/o's? (Roughly speaking) With comments like those I propose a new dept for cities and towns, the "FFUYA Dept." Free Foot Up Your A--. Anybody want a job like that? I bet some with anger issues would. :lol:

Mike

The sad thing is Seth, that these are the same little, disrespectful, know it all punks that are joining the Fire Service of today. Your right, it's time for Mommy and Daddy to start parenting and stop being their friends. Then again if the parents look down on Cops and berate them in front of their children, what do ya expect?

In some instances I Agree with you the last generations that followed me have no respect for anyone not even themselves. but do not put all of them in the same basket. their are still some good respectful kids with good hearts and intentions with a desire to achieve and learn joining the ranks of the Service. And someone who was that age not to long ago I do take some offense to your statement above. As for this kid skateboarding; well he got what he deserved. He mouthed off to a cop, and where I grew up thats a no no. you respect the men and women who protect you night and day and to be called dude while on patrol is (in my eyes) offensive. Whenever I talk to a officer while on a call or when they stop in to grab a bite to eat at my job I always great them as officer or sarge or something even if they are one of my friends. so lesson learned from this is to not disobey the law and be respectful to the men and women in uniform.

Sr71

In my day .... The cop would have slapped me. Then he would have taken my home to my father to tell him I was being an idiot and disrepectful to him. Then my father would slap me up.

Then from there on in it was "Yes Sir" and nothing more.

We only saw a piece of the video. where is the beginning.

I work for a very fast growing university, and I see this everyday. These kids have no respect for the law anymore. case in point, one of our night shifts has had 6 resiting arreest and 5 use of force case in the last 12 days. Thats more then I had in 3 years on that same shift working nights. I comes down to parenting. If I evertalked back to a cop when I was younger I whould get the crap slapped out of me.

RESPECT that what it all comes down to

Was that a big guy, or a little car?

now couldn't the police department sue the kid for posting that on youtube?, i clearly head the officer say "is that camera on. because if i find my self on you.." obviously talking about youtube.

I would like to see if the cop would go after the family for being posted on the internet by video after expression his concern about not being on the internet!!!!

Was that a big guy, or a little car?

I think a little of both. :D

now couldn't the police department sue the kid for posting that on youtube?, i clearly head the officer say "is that camera on. because if i find my self on you.." obviously talking about youtube.

Probably not since this was in a public place and he is a servant of the public. No different than having your photo taken while walking down a public street. Now, if the video was used for profit, that may be a different story.

Edited by PC Comms

So the kids called the PD? I would like to know why they called them. I think the only place where this guy went wrong is touching the kid. Especially around the neck. Although I agree that this kid needs some discipline there was no justification grabbing him or his board. It looked like I was my self on TV. No respect anymore. I actually like calling parents and telling them. They are clueless as well. Not my little Johnny, he would never do that. I hate the word DUDE, unless I am watching The Big Lebowski. I am wondering if they were taping him or if this was just a You Tube set up between all parties even the COP. If it is true, that tape never would have made it on You Tube. it would have been in my pocket till I could erase it. We had a run in with some kids not too long ago. Wise guys like this. I caught one of them in a car taking pictures of us with his phone. Those pictures are no longer on his phone because I deleted them. Interesting to see how this will work out.

Complete lack of respect in "Some" of todays youth, I agree with Sr71, not ALL kids are bad. Heck, in most cases of bad seeds its not the kids that are bad at all, its the PARENTS for not raising their child appropriately. Its sickening today to see someone have more kids simply because it raises their weekly welfare benefits and foodstamp totals. What happens to these kids? They grow up in a home that didnt realy want them and they dont know what its like to be loved, and be in a family and taught values and morals. So ofcourse you see kids act in this capacity because they dont know better...not an excuse for the kids in any way, especially his age.

Should the PO have touched him? Nope. I am worried about his job now and hope he wasnt fired, in my eyes the officer was attempting to teach this boy some respect, and help him live to an older age on the city streets.

I hope the officer gave the kids mother an EAR full and even better, I hope the mother actually did something about it.

Should the PO have touched him? Nope. I am worried about his job now and hope he wasnt fired, in my eyes the officer was attempting to teach this boy some respect, and help him live to an older age on the city streets.

I hope the officer gave the kids mother an EAR full and even better, I hope the mother actually did something about it.

i hope the cop was fired, there's not a chance in hell he should have ever touched the kid. the cop presented violence to a non-violent situation with a young kid.

is the kid a punk? maybe who cares. its not a cops job to enforce respect, its his job to enforce the law. let the kids parents slap him upside the head and i hope the D.A. slaps the cop upside the head when he/she gives him the boot.

seth, youtube is a GREAT tool. it gives the public a chance to police the police. as for 30 years ago...well the NOW isn't 30 years ago. maybe then if a cop slapped you it was ok, now if he slaps you, YOU have a chance to own his home and cars in COURT.

this cop deserves NO respect. all great leaders say: respect is earned NOT applied. cops in theory, should be leaders. by the way, what ever happened to professionalism?? being calm, cool, collective??? cops like this moron are reasons why cops have such a bad image...the few idiots ruining it for the rest of you cops. that's my 2 and 1/3 cents

i hope the cop was fired, there's not a chance in hell he should have ever touched the kid. the cop presented violence to a non-violent situation with a young kid.

is the kid a punk? maybe who cares. its not a cops job to enforce respect, its his job to enforce the law. let the kids parents slap him upside the head and i hope the D.A. slaps the cop upside the head when he/she gives him the boot.

seth, youtube is a GREAT tool. it gives the public a chance to police the police. as for 30 years ago...well the NOW isn't 30 years ago. maybe then if a cop slapped you it was ok, now if he slaps you, YOU have a chance to own his home and cars in COURT.

this cop deserves NO respect. all great leaders say: respect is earned NOT applied. cops in theory, should be leaders. by the way, what ever happened to professionalism?? being calm, cool, collective??? cops like this moron are reasons why cops have such a bad image...the few idiots ruining it for the rest of you cops. that's my 2 and 1/3 cents

There's not very much here that I could agree with, other than touching the kid.... :blink:

Edited by FFNick

I'm just wondering what people think getting physical with the kid actually accomplished?

The comments reflect that he might learn a lesson or that back in the day a good beating would cure an attitude but that's clearly not the case here. All it did was reinforce the idea that police are the enemies and they spend their time harassing people. No lesson learned. And since the incident was filmed and publically posted, it successfully reinforced quite a few more such attitudes.

The kid started the whole incident with zero respect. What did he leave with? Zero respect and a good dose of anti-authoritarianism.

I'm just wondering what people think getting physical with the kid actually accomplished?

The comments reflect that he might learn a lesson or that back in the day a good beating would cure an attitude but that's clearly not the case here. All it did was reinforce the idea that police are the enemies and they spend their time harassing people. No lesson learned. And since the incident was filmed and publically posted, it successfully reinforced quite a few more such attitudes.

The kid started the whole incident with zero respect. What did he leave with? Zero respect and a good dose of anti-authoritarianism.

good thought

I was thinking more in the lines of this kid got the CRAP scared out of him, and the next time he sees a PO he will be more respectfull and maybe learn that cops are only trying to do a job, and thats protect people. In this case I see the PO as protecting this kid from becoming an even bigger menace to society and ending up either in his jail or on the coroners table due to Gang activity.

Im not defending the physical contact as being ok, in no means. This kid had no weapon, was not making any violent gestures or insults to the PO ( other than calling him DUDE over and over!!), so therefore did not warrant any physical response. Taking his board away? Yah, I think that was appropriate...but only to give it back to him after I drove him home and talked with a parent about what happened. Any kind of interaction that a person with authority can make with todays youth in order to scare them straight is a positive, but a little more creativity and consideration should have been used by the officer. I mean, look at the SADD programs that are run by Sherrifs officers. They are designed to scare a teen from drinking and driving. By this officer getting mad at the kid (MINUS the physical contact ;) ) and taking his board and than talking to his mother I hope it scared some sense into him.

Maybe the officer was having a realy BAD day and was involved with an explosive incident earlier, and was on edge to begin with. Im not here to make excuses for the officer but Maybe that just strengthens the need for healthier shift lenghts or knowing ones limits. Anything could have factored in here and again we only have the info provided by the short movie. I would have to say Im also on the fence with this one, the kid needed some kind of attitude adjustment, but the physical contact was not called for.

Amazing. I really don't think the kids deserved that kind of tirade. I would have a big problem with a cop screaming at my kid like that for riding a skateboard. If the kid was being a smartmouth, then he needs to be set straight, but that was a bit over the top. Maybe he had an inferiority complex because he has to ride around in a modified midget VW Beetle.

Amazing. I really don't think the kids deserved that kind of tirade. I would have a big problem with a cop screaming at my kid like that for riding a skateboard. If the kid was being a smartmouth, then he needs to be set straight, but that was a bit over the top. Maybe he had an inferiority complex because he has to ride around in a modified midget VW Beetle.

It's not even a VW, it's a GM and powered by electricity! :lol::lol:

Mike

Was he even a real Police Officer????? Looked more like a security guard with a serious attitude problem to me, but who can really judge what happened?? How m\uch of the showdown occurred before the camcorder started recording?

This post is directed to everyone. Most of you don't deal with that on a daily basis do you? COPS get no RESPECT. Maybe some, but not as much as another CIVIL SERVICE JOB I know. But then again, I don't expect COPS to get that much RESPECT when they have to deal with the PUBLIC about 100X's more. People don't like hearing stuff. Usually one right person and 1 wrong person. That makes people mad. This kid needed to be talked to like that. He DIDN"T need to be touched but he needed that. And if it was anybody's KID on here and it was ME, I would have done the same thing. I would only hope that your children have more respect for the LAW.

How many on here are parents of Teenagers? How many know that their son or daughter are or have the potential to be wise guys? Not just being a typical teenager either, I mean a wise guy? How many of you have been into the principal's office because of your "wise guy" teen? How many on here look at your teenager whether boy or girl and say to yourself. Wow, my kid is a problem child? How many of you on here have had to deal with the POLICE because of something your teenager has done? Were the POLICE wrong? Did your teenager get the right treatment? If not, did you file a complaint against the officer? These are questions you should be asking yourself right now after watching that video. I don't care how old your kids are. Take a look into the future. Now I know that times change. Think about when you were a TEEN. Some long ago and some not so long ago. I might have done some pretty stupid stuff, but I was taught from early on to RESPECT COPS AND FIREMAN. I have the greatest RESPECT for both. Growing up in a small town my OLD MAN knew everyone. If I did something wrong the COP didn't need to yell at me if I was a wise guy. Tell my OLD MAN and it was taken care of.

And I am going to say this. COP KIDS are worse them all them combined. They think that their doesn't stink. They think that they can get out of anything because their parent(s) are OTJ. But if you think dealing with kids is bad, deal with the parent that is MOS. Holy Crap like talking to a wall. Not all of course, but some.

My son is 2.6 years old and if he is anything like I was growing up, I am in for a LONG fight. But, I am ready. We have probaby all said they can't do anything worse than I did. I think they can.

On many occasions I have dealt with kids and I have yelled at them. I have been called to houses to explain myself and have done so with the PARENTS commending me on what I did. You see, kids get home and say that a COP yelled at them. They don't say why. Parents believe their children do NO wrong. They tell them some story and MOST PARENTS believe it. The parents that really care are the ones that call or show up at the station wanting to find out the truth from the officer involved. These kids in the video are right at that age. Between 12-25. Some learn and some don't. Some COPS are PRICKS and some aren't. How many complaints are made againt fireman every year for JOB realated incidents against the PUBLIC. How many against LEO's? You can't make a comment on a situation by just watching the video or YOU HAVE NOR EVER WILL BE INVOLVED in. How come the COP was called there? How about we find that our first.

I know the JOB I took and I love what I do. Complaints don't bother me because they generally don't go anywhere. If I know that at the end of the day I did my job to the best of my ability then laying my head on the pillow at night feels pretty damn good.

So say what you will about the VIDEO. Put yourself in that COPS shoes for one minute. Doesn't it feel good to be a COP. LOL If that was you would you like to be fired over that?