Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Term Limits For Commisioners?

16 posts in this topic

I'm just curious if anyone feels that there should be term limits for Fire Commisioners??

No more then 10 years consecutive. Do you have 5 year terms? If term limits are good enough for the President of these United States then it sure should be good enough for Fire Commisioners.

Edited by Ladder47

I'm just curious if anyone feels that there should be term limits for Fire Commisioners??

lol just one of the million reasons why things never change...

No more then 10 years consecutive. Do you have 5 year terms? If term limits are good enough for the President of these United States then it sure should be good enough for Fire Commisioners.

I agree with you Ladder47. Our commissioners run 5 year terms. 2 terms, being 10 years, should be plenty of time to accomplish anything you have in mind.

I could go on all day and all night citing a seemingly limitless supply of examples in my own area alone, but I am too tired and it would run-on longer than this sentence.

Yes, there should absolutely be a term limit for fire commisioners, no more than 10 years in my opinion. The problem is that not enough is being done to light a fire under the butts of the taxpayers in these districts. Often times, the same people that are so outspoken about rising property taxes don't pay any attention to who is in charge of their fire protection. Many people don't even know that fire commisioners are elected officials or that they even exist. A combination of lack of knowledge and apathy are to blame for this. Even when fire districts are proactive about publicizing district elections and buiness, most people still don't seem to care.

Bottom line, unfortuneately, nothing is going to change until people wake up and realize that they need to take a more active roll in all aspects of ther local government including the fire district. Until they do, the same commisioners that have been in charge for years will continue, good or bad, to run things the way they see fit and in certain cases, with their own agendas and not necssarily the best interests of the district in mind.

I could not agree with this any more. In my years I have seen some commissioners who got so complacent that they felt the job was owed to them or they were untouchable. And what was worse some were so power hungry they thought they were chief's. But regardless how bad or good one is two five year terms is enough. Give someone else a chance to drive.

I could go on all day and all night citing a seemingly limitless supply of examples in my own area alone, but I am too tired and it would run-on longer than this sentence.

Yes, there should absolutely be a term limit for fire commisioners, no more than 10 years in my opinion. The problem is that not enough is being done to light a fire under the butts of the taxpayers in these districts. Often times, the same people that are so outspoken about rising property taxes don't pay any attention to who is in charge of their fire protection. Many people don't even know that fire commisioners are elected officials or that they even exist. A combination of lack of knowledge and apathy are to blame for this. Even when fire districts are proactive about publicizing district elections and buiness, most people still don't seem to care.

Bottom line, unfortuneately, nothing is going to change until people wake up and realize that they need to take a more active roll in all aspects of ther local government including the fire district. Until they do, the same commisioners that have been in charge for years will continue, good or bad, to run things the way they see fit and in certain cases, with their own agendas and not necssarily the best interests of the district in mind.

I know exactly what you mean about apathy on the part of the taxpayers. There is something new in the law books, that mandates Fire District Commissioners to hold public informational meetings before they can approve thieir budgets. I was at the one in the District I belong to, aside from the Commissioners, the District's Secretaet and their treasurer, and myself there were only two others there, and they were both active FD members. People just don't read the section of the newspaper that covers these important thimgs. Is it that they just don't care?

I couldnt agree anymore! Well said.

let me just add to my post above about a 10 year cap. In MOST cases, the commisioners are EX Chiefs, (in a Volunteer system) so figure the years they were a line officer, then in the Chiefs office...its close to, or more then 10 years. Now 10 years as a commissioner...your talking close to 20 years as someone with power to run things. Thats plenty of time to make your mark, time to move on and let new blood run the ship.

Edited by Ladder47

Yep, 1 Hour.

You give it That Long I was Think 10 Mins lol, Sometimes I Think 5 Years Is to Long Depending on the Commisioner and How they Help the Fire Department.

Yes. I believe in 2 terms then they're out !!!

Edited by emt301

I know exactly what you mean about apathy on the part of the taxpayers. There is something new in the law books, that mandates Fire District Commissioners to hold public informational meetings before they can approve thieir budgets. I was at the one in the District I belong to, aside from the Commissioners, the District's Secretaet and their treasurer, and myself there were only two others there, and they were both active FD members. People just don't read the section of the newspaper that covers these important thimgs. Is it that they just don't care?

I don't it is that they don't care. The average person will never need the FD so it is not a priority. Usually the topic of conservations at a barbecue or other gathering is college, taxes, work, sports, what the next project on the house is, etc and not the fire department.

If you are involved in a Fire Department and you are not happy with how things are being done I suggest that you become a part of the solution! If you want to have a voice then come election time for the Fire Districts get the petition needed to run for the office of Fire Commissioner. Yes, over the years many Commissioners are former Chiefs, if they don't come in with attitude of "We didn't need that when I was a Chief'" then they can be an asset. A department that I am associated with has a health and safety committee that has 2 officers, 2 commissioners, and 3 firefighters on the comm. and anything that a member might be concerned about can give the info to one of them and they will investigate the complaint or suggestion out which usually is a benefit to the dept. On the career side the Fire Commissioner's position is a different ballgame. Not to get deep but from my experience I have seen some negative results. (we won't go there) A person for the Full time Fire Commissioner needs to have a working knowledge of the job. Have a business type of background and works as an administrator. This is an important role, the mayor needs to let this individual run the show for the best interest of the citizens and the safety of the work force. He/She can't give away the store but on the same note shouldn't let the Dept. go down the tubes either. A strong leader is a must here! Its amazing how in some citys the Police Department is run by someone who has" been there,done that" but the FD is just some political allie. Nobody wins here. Be a voice, if you sit back and complain it usually falls on deaf ears. Apply yourself and be a part of the solution! Good Luck.

Seth since your situation has dramatically changed, have you considered running for commissioner, and trying to change the system from within?

All of you on here complaining about Commissioners being on "forever", why don't you run, or have someone you have confidence in run? The election is open to anyone who is a resident of that District. Get out there, actively campaign, and make the public aware.

I am a "civilian" Commissioner who has run unopposed in my last (2) elections. Why? Either they (the members of the dept.) are pleased with my performance, or simply, no one wants the position.

We happen to have Board members that have been on for several terms, and frankly, I am grateful for their experience and knowledge.