Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Forcible Entry Tool, "The Jonny-Bar"?

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard, seen, or have one of these on your rigs? Was it displayed at one of the recent fire shows?

"The Jonny-Bar"

dqk4r7.jpg

Description (As on site): This is a new Multi-Purpose Tool that is extremely effective. Its compact size (30") and sling allows it to be carried "hands free" and quickly deployed during interior firefighting operations. Use this to pry, pull, cut, force and just about any other application that a normal bar can be used for during interior or exterior firefighting. Comes standard with the reflective strap.

http://www.powercallsirens.com/johnnybar.aspx

$250.00?

IMO, Nothing can beat the original haligan bar but...Any Thoughts?

Still rather have a halligan...and not that shiny piece of crap hooligan with its pins and non functional adz and fork ends.

Then again the Johnny bar I guess in most ways is better than "Johnny Cakes." lol

Come on Tommy, you know you love the smell of a fresh cherry-scented one!

I would imagine it has it's uses, but if you are using it to force something with the fork end, where the heck do you strike it?

I would imagine it has it's uses, but if you are using it to force something with the fork end, where the heck do you strike it?

I was wondering the same thing.

It looks fairly useless.

Looks like a modified halligan and officer's tool together.

Maybe the real name should be the "Porta Jonny Bar" . Looks like you could use it to poke a few extra ventilation holes through the plastic.

My Dept. just purchased that TNT tool for our truck companies. Anybody ever work with them. Personally I think it's a p.o.s. not to mention it weighs like 11lbs. How long is a guy going to be able to pull ceilings with it. That's if ya can even reach them. The thing is also only 3' long. Another bonehead move by mgmt.

I agree with all of the above, the johnny bar does look like a p.o.s. Probably made by someone who has never forced a door. As for the TNT we carry one on our rig and the Chauffer carries it with a halligan. I agree it is pretty heavy and not very practical for pulling ceilings, we use it for its added weight in forcing project doors but thats not to say a sledge hammer would work just the same. I guess everything has its applications.

It looks like a mongrel half breed of a closet hook and a halligan. Things like this always run the risk of doing neither tools job as well as the original. I am not really sure about the strap either, I think that will end up left behind on the fireground somewhere, and the toold will get carried by hand.

Where do they get off calling it a "Hydraulic" Entry Multi Tool???

WAAAY Overpriced, at best....

LOL"porta jonny bar" hahaha, good one.. :lol:

**First of all ,Halligan bar is always my first pick.**The TNT tool is to heavy, there is to much wieght on the sledge hammer end of the tool.That "jonny bar" is not a good tool with that pike pole end ,MAYBE if it had a "Griff hook" or a "NY hook" on the end ,it may be a little better.

My 2 cents

its crap!

it will look nice at the parade!

Right next to the highly polished paratech hooligan!

Your right bro..I just love compartments on fire apparatus that they spray or hang air freshner.

Don't worry, I'm sure there are plenty of Departments out in LI that will buy them, or even a bunch of 17 year olds fresh outta FF1, (I know, I WAS One of them)

Edited by MPACE2-299

Ya i am guessing every department in LI is gonna by one for each member even the retired exempt guys. It is useless and is good only for maybe chipping ice on the side walk. what is a mere 2 1/2 ft gonna do you when trying to pull a ceiling or maybe open a vent hole. It's not that useful as a Officers tool cause no Adz or pike. The foam handle on the shaft would make using a flathead on it a pain and you would break your fingers.