Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Police Officers And Checking Suspects Pockets

18 posts in this topic

I've got to admit, after watching numerous episodes of COPS, I often wonder why some COPS check suspects pockets using their bare hands? It skeeves me out. I'm not a Pollice Officer, but as a Firefighter and Paramedic, I'm just curious about the practice.

I know a lot of them ask "You don't have anything in there that's going to stick me?", but how trustworthy is this person to actually believe them? Also, not only needles, but broken crack pipes, etc.

The best method I've seen is for a cop to cut open the pockets, but can't see that as being proper in every situation.

So, why don't more cops use gloves when searching a suspects pockets?

I've got to admit, after watching numerous episodes of COPS, I often wonder why some COPS check suspects pockets using their bare hands? It skeeves me out. I'm not a Pollice Officer, but as a Firefighter and Paramedic, I'm just curious about the practice.

I know a lot of them ask "You don't have anything in there that's going to stick me?", but how trustworthy is this person to actually believe them? Also, not only needles, but broken crack pipes, etc.

The best method I've seen is for a cop to cut open the pockets, but can't see that as being proper in every situation.

So, why don't more cops use gloves when searching a suspects pockets?

Simple, 99 percent of the time you are jumping out at someone, there isn't an opportunity to say 'hold on a second Mr. Perp, I have to put my latex gloves on. Secondly, it is far easier to 'feel' what you are looking for with your bare hands. I have never put my hands in someone's pocket without frisking the pocket first.

The way I've always been trained is to grab a tiny portion of the suspects pocket and start pulling it out until the whole pocket comes out, thereby making your chances of getting poked slightly lower (but obviously not eliminating them.)

What about leather gloves...most guys I know (myself included) use those...first with gloves on, squeeze the pockets firmly and then search them internally...most objects can be identified as either a hazard or not through this method. If it is hard use caution it could be dangerous!

Latex gloves offer you almost no cut or stick protection. Unless you have leather gloves, why bother. Check them from the outside first then go into the pocket carefully.

I see the same thing on british shows, however they normally ask then" have you got anything on you that could injre me or yourself?" you'd be amased how many people turn round and admit to the knife or syringe in there pocket

I don't know if this is taught or just common sense but it seems to work

Preplanned & intimate searches tend to be done with latex gloves

I have a pair of "skell gloves" but I rarely take them off my bag. They are a pain in the butt to put on and unless I put them on while driving, they don't go on. When I frisk somebody I always ask if they have anything that I can stick myself or stick them with. Meaning, if I get stuck then so are you. Most of the times they tell the truth. I don't go into the pockets until I feel the outside and manipulate the pocket to the point where I can describe from the outside what is in the inside. IE, keys, lighter, matches, money, etc...

If you TAZE the perp long enough anything in the pockets

will fall out while they do the chicken dance.

Sorry, I just had too! lol

:P

If you TAZE the perp long enough anything in the pockets

will fall out while they do the chicken dance.

Sorry, I just had too! lol

:P

sounds reasonable ;)

Edited by kevinrichardeaton

I hope you at least wear rubber gloves for this....:)

What about leather gloves...most guys I know (myself included) use those...first with gloves on, squeeze the pockets firmly and then search them internally...most objects can be identified as either a hazard or not through this method. If it is hard use caution it could be dangerous!

Latex gloves offer you almost no cut or stick protection. Unless you have leather gloves, why bother. Check them from the outside first then go into the pocket carefully.

There are gloves out there that are puncture resistant, and if the officer goes slow enough will offer them the protection they need from sharps. Heres a link for you;

Puncture Resistant Nitrile Gloves

I know ours is, and we even did the demonstration they used in their add, we took a fork and tried to puncture the gloves, and we couldnt. They are pretty tough! :blink:

There are gloves out there that are puncture resistant, and if the officer goes slow enough will offer them the protection they need from sharps. Heres a link for you;

Puncture Resistant Nitrile Gloves

I know ours is, and we even did the demonstration they used in their add, we took a fork and tried to puncture the gloves, and we couldnt. They are pretty tough! :blink:

Did you also try this with a CLEAN needle? I think a needle is a little sharper then a fork.

Did you also try this with a CLEAN needle? I think a needle is a little sharper then a fork.

Well, there needs to be some degree of common sense to any PPE that you wear. If you will notice in my post I said this;

There are gloves out there that are puncture resistant, and if the officer goes slow enough will offer them the protection they need from sharps.

Meaning, if you rifle your hand into someones pocket forcefully than you are going to get jabbed with something. I dont know the procedures that all of the LEO follow, but like a few mentioned above, squeeze the outside of the pocket to see if there are bulky items inside, than proceed to check the pocket with caution. Would I strap on some latex gloves and try and catch a bullet? No. But if I am cleaning the back of the rig after a bad trauma and I use common sense and approach cautiously with gloves on I have Some Degree of protection from any stray IV needles. Thats all I was referring to brother.

Personally, I think its an unnecessary risk for our officers to have to do. I think they should be allowed to just cut the pocket open, or have the subject empty their pockets slowly, anything to make their jobs safer. It seems too risky in todays world to go sticking your hands into a strangers pockets. Would an X-ray machine work to find small sharps and knives? The kind you walk through like in courts? I know they are pricey to install in every PD but it would cut back on medical expenses for tests on LEO that got stuck with sharps. And please, this is just me being concerned for the brothers/sisters who are PO's and face getting stuck with a dirty needle containing HIV or something worse, and not in any way an attempt to start something.

Thanks

I always ask the perp if they have anything that may hurt me..needles, knives, crack pipes (glass ones are often broken on the ends), anything. Most of they time they will tell you. Not always, sometimes they forget what is in their pockets. Feel the pockets from the outside before you go in. I have even used my ASP to slide over a pocket to feel for things. Always check the socks, inside the shoes, the inside of the waistband, and the bottom seam of jackets. I have stopped plenty of people who slice the inside of a coat pocket, and then put crack pipes and other contraband (one guy from my command found stolen credit cards here) inside the stuffing of the jacket. Once back at the stationhouse I will always use gloves to research the prisoner. A lot of our commands now have the held held metal detectors to use at the front desk.

Edited by grumpyff

moose, those are the gloves we use at work. While they are infinitely better at not tearing while moving a patient, carry crap, etc they offer no practical improvement in puncture or cut protection. I've been stuck while wearing them and cut them to ribbons on sharp edges.

Edited by ny10570

moose, those are the gloves we use at work. While they are infinitely better at not tearing while moving a patient, carry crap, etc they offer no practical improvement in puncture or cut protection. I've been stuck while wearing them and cut them to ribbons on sharp edges.

Oh, you learn something new every day!! :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up, I will advise our captain. We have never had a problem with tearing or puncturing, but stuff happens.

Thanks

Well, there needs to be some degree of common sense to any PPE that you wear. If you will notice in my post I said this;

Meaning, if you rifle your hand into someones pocket forcefully than you are going to get jabbed with something. I dont know the procedures that all of the LEO follow, but like a few mentioned above, squeeze the outside of the pocket to see if there are bulky items inside, than proceed to check the pocket with caution. Would I strap on some latex gloves and try and catch a bullet? No. But if I am cleaning the back of the rig after a bad trauma and I use common sense and approach cautiously with gloves on I have Some Degree of protection from any stray IV needles. Thats all I was referring to brother.

Personally, I think its an unnecessary risk for our officers to have to do. I think they should be allowed to just cut the pocket open, or have the subject empty their pockets slowly, anything to make their jobs safer. It seems too risky in todays world to go sticking your hands into a strangers pockets. Would an X-ray machine work to find small sharps and knives? The kind you walk through like in courts? I know they are pricey to install in every PD but it would cut back on medical expenses for tests on LEO that got stuck with sharps. And please, this is just me being concerned for the brothers/sisters who are PO's and face getting stuck with a dirty needle containing HIV or something worse, and not in any way an attempt to start something.

Thanks

Oh ok I wasn't trying to be a wise a** sorry if it came out that way I was just asking out of curiosity if it had been tested with a needle I didn't know they made such gloves that are puncture resistant.

Oh ok I wasn't trying to be a wise a** sorry if it came out that way I was just asking out of curiosity if it had been tested with a needle I didn't know they made such gloves that are puncture resistant.

I was just answering your question bro. But as it was pointed out to me by ny10570, these gloves have some issues!! :o So, I guess the "Puncture Resistant" rating of the gloves just dropped a degree! :D

I have worn these types of Nitrile Gloves before in rough situations and never had one tear or rip, but I have done some research on them when I was Captain of my old squad, and they seemed to be pretty tough gloves, and our PD in the village uses similar gloves for searches and first aid.