Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Official FDNY Lingo Thread

65 posts in this topic

Working up and down, your 24 hr shift. working up, working down, begining ,or end of a shift.

Actually, I've heard two different stories:

The first is that when EMS first got up and running things were so busy that units were picking up additional patients on the way to the hospital. So, in essence, they were very much like a bus service.

The other story I've heard is that some of the first contracts to build ambulances went to Grumman. Apparently at one point Grumman built the NYC transit buses...hence the term.

For all you Westchester folk... if you ever need an ambulance when WCDES636 is working... DO NOT CALL IT A BUS!!! The reply you will recieve will be, "How Many Passengers?"

And he's got a damn good point... I have grown to hate the term BUS for an ambulance because of him... The reason being, if you need an actual transit bus/school bus etc for rehab or transport... what do you ask for at that point?

Bell signals are still used on the teleprinter tickets,and manual dispatch forms, such as Signal 4(Battalion) 5(Engine) 6(Marine Company) 7(Ladder) 9(Special Unit, not Rescue,or Squad). 7-5(All Hands).

If Rescues or Squads aren't contained in the 9 bell signal, what are they?

They say primarily, "You want us to take it in??" Which means "You want us to respond??"

The Bell signal for a Squad is 8 Bells, Rescue is 10 Bells.

Ever wonder why our Reserve Apparatus is numbered Engine 50X or Ladder 70X??

Or, Squad 800?? That's why.

Edited by JBE

They say primarily, "You want us to take it in??" Which means "You want us to respond??"

The Bell signal for a Squad is 8 Bells, Rescue is 10 Bells.

Ever wonder why our Reserve Apparatus is numbered Engine 50X or Ladder 70X??

Or, Squad 800?? That's why.

Are you referring to the bells rung by the house watchmen?

FDNY Lingo not found in books:

Phrase: "JIZEET?"

Meaning: "Have you partaken in your meal yet?"

Are you referring to the bells rung by the house watchmen?

Actually, it goes back to the old telegraph bells from back in the day. Dispatchers used to tap the bells out for boxes, special calls, signals, out of borough multiples, borough calls, etc.

Here's an example. I'm working in Manhattan, and Queens transmits a 3rd alarm for Box 5260. I would go to the tapper, pull a switch to transmit borough wide, and tap in 99 33 5260. The zero would be ten bells.

(Quote)Phrase: "JIZEET?"

Meaning: "Have you partaken in your meal yet?" (Quote)

I think they also do that down south as well.

Edited by JBE

Actually, it goes back to the old telegraph bells from back in the day. Dispatchers used to tap the bells out for boxes, special calls, signals, out of borough multiples, borough calls, etc.

Alright, because, when relocated, I've seen that some houses follow the original bell system and some have simplified it.

Working up and down, your 24 hr shift. working up, working down, begining ,or end of a shift.

I have to check with a buddy of mine with FDNY, but if I recall correctly working up or down means working the day tour or the night tour.

But for a short time before it was the FAT enegine it was called the F.A.R.T. Engine Firefighter Assist Rescue Team. Then after one of the big bosses heard this on the radio they changed it again.

The good ole days

Not what I thought you where going to say. Everytime I have on TheBravest.com I always hear a 10 code that I know what in means for Peekskill PD but does it mean the same thing for FDNY Clearing from a job or going back to take care of some "busniess"? anyway the code i hear is 10-6,10-3??

Not what I thought you where going to say. Everytime I have on TheBravest.com I always hear a 10 code that I know what in means for Peekskill PD but does it mean the same thing for FDNY Clearing from a job or going back to take care of some "busniess"? anyway the code i hear is 10-6,10-3??

In the FDNY that would be (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) 10-8 (in service) and 10-2 (returning to quarters)

In the FDNY that would be (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) 10-8 (in service) and 10-2 (returning to quarters)

It's not "returning to quarters" it's a request to return to quarters. As in, the dispatcher asking the or the Co. to 10-2.

I have to check with a buddy of mine with FDNY, but if I recall correctly working up or down means working the day tour or the night tour.

I checked with him and the above is correct, up means working the day tour, down means the night tour. Working up and down means working a double shift, essentially a 24 hour tour.

10-6=Standby(Which constantly gets mixed up with 10-5 out in the street)

10-3 Call the Dispatcher by phone.

I checked with him and the above is correct, up means working the day tour, down means the night tour. Working up and down means working a double shift, essentially a 24 hour tour.

SteveOFD FYI most FDNY members work 24 hours shifts usually starting on the night tour and ending on the day tour. 6:00 PM start 6:00 PM finish. Our tours are 9 hour days and 15 hour nights. Day tours referred to as 9x6 are just that 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Night tours are 6x9 meaning 6:00 PM start and 9:00 AM finish. In our work cycle we have to do 1 Up and Down 24 due to the way our group chart works. If you want further info on how chart works ask and I will try to inform.

PS obviously we mutual tours in order to work the 24's. Usually with a steady partner who is in an opposite group than you in order to work the 24's.

Edited by Mac8146

We use 'K' codes here instead of '10' codes, K1 is enroute, K2 on scene etc etc, that may have something to do with the above morse code statement.

Rogue, it sounds to me like the K is corresponding to your unit ID, as opposed to ending a transmission, which is the use of the letter K here. The rest of it sounds like what we call clear text. Welcome to the discussion.

For all you Westchester folk... if you ever need an ambulance when WCDES636 is working... DO NOT CALL IT A BUS!!! The reply you will recieve will be, "How Many Passengers?"

And he's got a damn good point... I have grown to hate the term BUS for an ambulance because of him... The reason being, if you need an actual transit bus/school bus etc for rehab or transport... what do you ask for at that point?

Years ago during the NYC EMS days a 'bus' was an ambulance because, as stated earlier, they were made by Grumman Corp. When NYC EMS referred to a transit bus they would call it a 'whale'. Mainly because of the size.

How about "doubtful" and "probably will hold"

Doubtful(Will Hold) This means the IC is doubtful they can control the fire/incident with available units.

Probably Will Hold They are fairly certain they can hold it with what they have.

Will hold, they are certain that it can stay at the current assignment. Rarely used.

Under Control DONE!!!

Cant go UC till Secondarys are complete, that also releases the FAST Truck.

10-6=Standby(Which constantly gets mixed up with 10-5 out in the street)

10-3 Call the Dispatcher by phone.

I've heard a lot of dispatchers use 10-6 and 10-3 to indicate to units in the field that they are on the phone and to stand-by. Not quite how the codes are intended but I guess its preferable to "Stand-by on landline" for some reason.

If that was done here, it was done improperly.

Cheers JBE, just out of interest do you guys have a Priority Message button on your MDTs in New york? We have VR (voice request) or PV (priority voice) which is used for transmiting a 2nd alarm etc, basically makes the dispatcher talk to them before other units.

We also have the basic 'K' codes on the MDT so they are not said over the radio.

When a size up is given, and an occupancy is called an "OMD" or "Occupied Multiple Dwelling", what type of construction/occupancy are they speaking of? Do they use that for any residential structure great than a single family? What about a housing project or multi story residential housing?

An ocupied multiple dwelling is just that, a building that has several seperate living areas for multiple families. This could be describing apartment buildings, what we call fully attached or row houses in which each unit has more that one residence within, semi detached houses (which can best be described as two small houses that are atached to eachother but no other houses). Prett much any structure that you can think of that is capable of housing more than one family would be considered and OMD.

Edited by Loud412

I just want to know one thing.

Do they teach that faux accent many from around here develop at the Rock or is that a self taught thing to make a new guy sound "cool?!" ;)

"Yeah bro, we cawt this workah the udder day..."

Born and raised here in Westchester.... but all of a sudden they sound like they've been taught to sound like they're from south of here....

I've always like reading and listening to FDNY lingo, and seeing it try to make it's way into our neck of the woods (you know, "upstate" in Westchester). There's nothing wrong with it, but unless EVERYONE is on the same page and actually uses it RIGHT, then keep it in the City. Guys around here have a hard enough time understanding that the "trunked radios" aren't actually in the trunk..... :rolleyes:

So 10-8 means the company(ies) are available in service? The reason I ask this is a certain chief up here used 10-8 after a Fire Alarm Activation call. I know for a fact that this particular department does NOT use 10 codes. (actually, I don't think there's one up around here that does) The only 10 code ever used around here is the univeral "Acknowledged" code, 10-4. I thought he wanted to imitate FDNY's 10 codes, but I wasn't sure.

Mike

Cheers JBE, just out of interest do you guys have a Priority Message button on your MDTs in New york? We have VR (voice request) or PV (priority voice) which is used for transmiting a 2nd alarm etc, basically makes the dispatcher talk to them before other units.

We also have the basic 'K' codes on the MDT so they are not said over the radio.

We do have a priority button on both our MDT's (Cad's) but it's not for the dispatcher (unless sending a job or putting us OOS no radio response... I'll take the mark for that one!) It's an emergency button for the crews. Also on that topic the 10 codes for PD can get dragged over to the EMS realm at times. Such as 10-13 is for emergency assistance/officer down, but 10-85 is requesting another unit for assistance (emergency or non at the discretion if the requester) But most times they're synonymous when called.

We do have a priority button on both our MDT's (Cad's) but it's not for the dispatcher (unless sending a job or putting us OOS no radio response... I'll take the mark for that one!) It's an emergency button for the crews. Also on that topic the 10 codes for PD can get dragged over to the EMS realm at times. Such as 10-13 is for emergency assistance/officer down, but 10-85 is requesting another unit for assistance (emergency or non at the discretion if the requester) But most times they're synonymous when called.

Ok thanks, our motorola radios use the Orange button for emergencies, press that and you get taken to an emergency channel (it used to go open mike but that caused issues when the button was pressed by mistake as you can imagine "that F*%#in button")

We are going away from MDT's which are very basic to MCT's which are a computer screen, huge problems with the new MCT's, they are too touchy and not firefighter proof.