Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A Citizen's Objection To An LODD Firefighter's Funeral Procession

42 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why Ken Johnson is so angry. I've seen people like this before. They're looking for attention.

1. I highly doubt any of the participating departments were left with compromised coverage.

2. I highly doubt that processions of this kind are likely to end.

So unless you're some kind of city planner or involved with traffic flow patterns, etc - I can't imagine why anyone would really care why Ken Johnson is upset. Someone who responded in the SBSun.com forums got it correct - if you don't like it, MOVE to a place where they don't commemorate these kinds of things.... Another point made was that people should be angry with the SB Sun for printing this guy's nonsensical rant. Who cares what Ken Johnson thinks? More importantly is WHY DOES THE SB SUN CARE ENOUGH TO PUBLISH IT?

:blink:

I understand the the arguments against it a la taking rigs O.O.S leaves places uncovered and its a wastse of taxpayer $$, hell I even get the argument how not everyone gets this sort of treatment. Bottom line though, someone died...I can bet that his family, friends and dept was very grateful. Death is hard, if somthing like this eases the pain and pays a little respect, how can we not do it?? It would seem immesurable compared to losing a loved one. The truechallenge to this writer would be to see if he accepted somthing like this on his or a family members behalf.

We exist for the public, but we also exist for eachother and that is demonstrated during funerals. It is a show of support to the families as well as the department who lost one of it's members. Bringing apparatus is a traditional way of showing support.

Parades are another story.

As someone who's also been to countless funerals, what leaves a lasting impression in my mind is the Engine Co. bearing the members casket; his/her Company apparatus following; Bagpipers and the PD Aviation Unit Flyover. Not countless numbers of apparatus. I can see this at any parade. We're there to pay our respect, not win a trophy. Leave the $500,000 + apparatus home and take either a Dept. vehicle or your own personal vehicle, like most do wishing to pay their respect. Period.

This guy sounds like some snotty rich businessman who missed an appointment. Most FD's contact the media and make people aware of this event. This guy most likely never spent a second thinking about doing volunteer work let alone being a fireman, policeman or EMS worker.

I also can't see how someone can compare the work of a GARBAGE man to the work of a firefighter, police man or EMS worker. This guy goes to work dangerously hanging off the back of trucks picking up garbage. we emergency service guys go out to protect the public day in and day out. We risk catching diseases, getting assaulted or shot, getting burned, and possibly dying to protect you the public.

This guy needs to be woken up maybe when he drives home drunk gets in an accident kills someone and gets seriously injured himself or a family member falls sick and help is provided by "one of those public service employees who tie up traffic" He might think again about the people who help him everyday.

It's people like him that make you want to hold up all traffic for even the minor accidents not just to piss him off but to make sure no emergency personnel are killed, which would cause us to have a long funeral procession.

Just my 5 cents of thought (you know inflation)

As someone who's also been to countless funerals, what leaves a lasting impression in my mind is the Engine Co. bearing the members casket; his/her Company apparatus following; Bagpipers and the PD Aviation Unit Flyover. Not countless numbers of apparatus. I can see this at any parade. We're there to pay our respect, not win a trophy. Leave the $500,000 + apparatus home and take either a Dept. vehicle or your own personal vehicle, like most do wishing to pay their respect. Period.

Ditto

An oppen reply to the editorial:

Can we get this guy's address, so we know the house on which not to spray any water?

Sorry for the inconveniance, but if you'd kindly let us know when YOUR funeral is, we'll make sure not to let the procession hold up traffic... since I know that's what you'd want.

With abiding disrespect,

An angry mob of FF's, LEO's, & EMSrs

Edited by paramedico987

Ditto

I have to agree. When my grandfather was chief, the fire department purchesed a rig during that year. The fire department brought the rig to my grandfathers funeral. To me that showed amazing respect for him. Not to mention Verplanck, Buchanan, Conyonga Lake (up near Monticello){hope its spelt right} came down with a rig as well.

Edited by MoFire390

I have to agree. When my grandfather was chief, the fire department purchesed a rig during that year. The fire department brought the rig to my grandfathers funeral. To me that showed amazing respect for him. Not to mention Verplanck, Buchanan, Conyonga Lake (up near Monticello){hope its spelt right} came down with a rig as well.

Yes, Monticello was spelt right...

I've been involved in the logistics end of a couple of funerals and it is taxing to coordinating parking and traffic with PDs.

I personnel like what FDNY and NYPD does. Having all the honors conducted at the church. I remember back in 2001 going to two funerals at St Patrick's, Terry Hatton from Rescue 1 and Brian McDonnell from ESU. I drove in taking guys from out of state and they ask me what it was going to be like. I basically told them I doubted they had ever seen anything like before. They were dumbfounded that Midtown would come to a halt (at least it felt that way) and the sounds of the muffled drums echoing around the buildings.

I've been involved in the logistics end of a couple of funerals and it is taxing to coordinate parking and traffic with PDs.

I personally like what FDNY and NYPD does. Having all the honors conducted at the church. I remember back in 2001 going to two funerals at St Patrick's, Terry Hatton from Rescue 1 and Brian McDonnell from ESU. I drove in taking guys from out of state and they asked me what it was going to be like. I basically told them I doubted they had ever seen anything like this before. They were dumbfounded that Midtown would come to a halt (at least it felt that way) and the sounds of the muffled drums echoing around the buildings.

Terry Hatton was a Fireman's Fireman from what I've heard and read. God Bless him and his family! He was a true hero, along with Paddy Brown and the other 341 who sacrificed their lives.