Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Wappinger's Falls structure fire 4-16-08

44 posts in this topic

Here a couple pics I took. I got thier about an hour in.

P4160010-.jpg

P4160018-.jpg

P4160036-.jpg

P4160046-.jpg

P4160048-.jpg

Great Shots. Looked like the brothers Stopped it from spreading into the main part of the house, good stop guys.

Why the 5" on the car? Seems like they could have gone around.

Why the 5" on the car? Seems like they could have gone around.

i thought it was parked in front of the hydrant.

Edited by 99subi

to prove a point

What point. The car does not appear to be in front of a hydrant. The car was there first not the truck. That is just poor positioning from the truck company if you are going to feed the truck water. If it was my car I would of went friggin crazy.

What point. The car does not appear to be in front of a hydrant. The car was there first not the truck. That is just poor positioning from the truck company if you are going to feed the truck water. If it was my car I would of went friggin crazy.

+1 - Not professional at all.

Keep the remarks professional guys. What was done, was done, and that is just what it is. Done.

Use this information to make yourselves better in the future. If you think it was unprofessional, make sure you think about it every time you have to stretch a LDH. Whether it was professional or not, its done and over with.

Besides, no one is perfect. No one on this board has any right to judge another member/department of their actions (unless it is something obviously stupid and life/safety threatening). If you know someone from that department, then discuss it like professionals with them, do not just post nonsensical remarks here.

Nice photo's Jim....... Perfect weather and it looks like it was a good job...... Had to sit this one out though..... Thanks for sharing so I could see what I missed :(

This was a great stop by a Department who's abilities are very under rated around the county. I personally know the main operators of that truck and they are some of the best I have ever seen in what they do. If that was where the truck was placed then that was the best possible place that truck could have been put! Great Job Wappingers and the neighboring companies!

the 5 inch was laid on the ground but when it was charged kinked against the car and thats where it wanted to go so guys helped it go there just so happened the car was about 4 ft from the intake on the truck .

That explains it all. But I don't believe it was necessary. You guys ran that hose down the drivers side and when you charged the line it kinked. Had someone thought to run along the passenger side things would have been different for the car owner and the departments insurance policy. No, I wasn't there and this is purely speculative but I noticed the hose passes to the drivers side of the car antenna and then over the roof. So unless you guys dragged a charged 5"across the entire car and over the antenna and then straightened it out down the street someone made a mistake. Now here's whats really imprtant. Big friggin whoop. Someone goofed and ran the 5" down the wrong side of the car. Thats part of the reason why depts carry insurance (unless of course they're self insuring). We have more important concerns on the fire ground rather than repositioning a charged supply line that is going to scuff a car. People make mistakes. What is important is to recognize a mistake and point it out so that others are aware and will learn from it.

one thing ive noticed on this forum is there is alot of people who are quick to critize over stupid things were here to help and try to make the most outa what we can nobodys perfect its real easy for any of us (my self included at times) to judge things for afar but the bottom line is ....is the public or homeowner happy with the end result ? it real easy for anyone to rip apart even the best of situations but the bottom line is when u join the fire service you join a brotherhood and we're all supposed to be there for each other on and off the fire scene and not for nothing if u dont understand or dont believe that then u shouldnt waste our time

one thing ive noticed on this forum is there is alot of people who are quick to critize over stupid things were here to help and try to make the most outa what we can nobodys perfect its real easy for any of us (my self included at times) to judge things for afar but the bottom line is ....is the public or homeowner happy with the end result ? it real easy for anyone to rip apart even the best of situations but the bottom line is when u join the fire service you join a brotherhood and we're all supposed to be there for each other on and off the fire scene and not for nothing if u dont understand or dont believe that then u shouldnt waste our time

So we'll just leave everything at great job atta-boy keep it up. Regardless of what actually happened. By that logic should we stop investigating Line of duty deaths? Yeah, thats the complete other end of the spectrum but its that gray area where the things that were done wrong didn't bite us in the rear that we can learn from and improve on now before the do get someone hurt. Placement of the supply line is absolutely nit picky, until you start laying it down the middle of the street or across handlines all ready in place. Take this same job and turn it into a multi story multiple dwelling. First truck in takes the front and the line is placed on the drivers side of the car. Now a second truck is needed on the side and there's a car trapped between a truck and its supply line. Run that same line along the passenger side and you get the car out of the way to allow the truck to slip in without shutting down the first truck. Hopefully this is coherent and making sense. The point isn't to slam a dept or its members, just to ask why they did something we didn't think about doing.

I'd like to point out that no one from the scene said anything about "proving a point", it was someone from far away speculating. Could you have placed the supply line better? Probably. Do minor things go wrong at nearly every fire? Probably. Is this the least egregious hangup I've seen? Probably. I'll focus on the positive. I listened to the fire start to finish on the radio and it went very well, good use of mutual aid and what looks like a great stop to me. Joe T "if you want a fire done right, run it yourself" haha

Guys we seem to be beating a dead horse it happened not on purpose these are things that happens on scenes. Nobody sets out to do these things

Ok I WAS there and KNOW the area well .....

#1 The village isnt ladder friendly ..... nor is it water source friendly

#2 That WAS the best position for the ladder due to wires and parked cars ... it is a narrow rd with cars on both sides of the rd

#3 the 5" line had to come from RT 9D where the larger main is. Which is some what of a distance from the fire. What you dont see is that 5" line came up 3 blocks from the main rd to the side street to the fire scene ... so not a stright lay. The line was around the car ... but got kinked and laid over the car.

Honestly .... I WAS the 1st firefighter and officer on that job ... I was on the scene when the tones where still going off ... because I saw the smoke before the tones went out .... That annex where the fire was started was burning wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before the people in that home called it in.

AND ..... for those who didn't know .... one of the Fire Dept's that helped out ... is a paid dept. We work very well in the area with the paid depts up here.

not for nothing i dont know what response areas some of you have but the village is not aerial ladder friendly . the truck chauffer did an excellent job of the getting the rig into place where is could be used and setup safely . not professional is a joke ....you have no idea of street width , overhead obstructions , prior committed engines , supply lines and etc . sometimes things have to happen outside of what we would like . nobody set out to lay the 5 inch over the car . sh@t happens . if some people on this board would stop quarterbacking . so what s the point avoid optimum ladder placement to avoid possible scratches on someones car at a working fire . if you dont wanna say nice stop or good job fine but dont bash anybody on that scene from behind your computer . i do realize that absoluter best firefighters alive are on this board but IT WAS NOT TO PROVE A POINT and thats that

I work in a city with "unfriendly truck" streets. This is a 2 story frame that did not appear (and I say appear cause I was not there) to have needed a master stream operation. If master streams were needed the truck could have been placed perpendicular to the structure and set up above the wires. Is there not a 5 inch connection on the other side of the truck? Most trucks will let you feed them from both sides and the rear. If you were going to outside operations with that ladder placement you would still be there today trying to put it out cause you would have pushed it to the unburned portion of the structure. The truck placement is great for what I see happening and that is overhaul. Members working off of a solid base and opening up. My question was the use of 5 inch and my problem was very young members of this board who are saying "that is classic" and "to prove a point". Act a little professional not only on the fire ground but also when you run your mouth. (That last comment is to those who made those stupid comments) By the way nice stop.

Edited by lad12derff

This was a great stop by a Department who's abilities are very under rated around the county. I personally know the main operators of that truck and they are some of the best I have ever seen in what they do. If that was where the truck was placed then that was the best possible place that truck could have been put! Great Job Wappingers and the neighboring companies!

Agreed. They made an excellent stop and saved the main portion of the house. Thats what should matter.

first of all i can speak for my dept and say whoever said that does not speak on our behalf . we dont have commissioners we have a mayor and trustees who support our dept 100% some them where there and saw it first hand unlike you . i am actually glad that my guys and the m/a guys made such a great stop that the big focus is on a hose laid on a car . maybe if the photo was from the bronx you would all be saying " that was great move " or blast the car manufacturer for making it that way . and just if your wondering im the guy in the first picture with the white helmet and red strap so keep that it mind next time you wanna say something about one of my guys . i wasnt there when they did it but i stand behind them so until the next guy want to make a point or a little snappy remark thats all .

oh yeah legally parked that was a good one ....whatever

Your 100% correct brother! If this was a Boston fire they would be praising the operator for thinking outside the box and positioning the ladder perfectly!!!! Great Point!! :lol:

PEOPLE... Someone took the time to post some pictures of an incident to share with us and comment on in a respectful way. KEEP THE COMMENTS CLEAN AND PROFESSIONAL...or they will be removed.

It would be nice to read articles/threads/forums without someone always trying to pick em' apart. I use to enjoy coming onto Emtbravo to check things out all the time, but now I don't come on as much because some people have turned Emtbravo into an argument site for themselves; it's one thing if the topic is suggesting an argument, but as in this incident it does not. On that note: I would like to express my "Everyone on that scene did a good job regardless if there were things that didn't go right, because everyone makes mistakes but we all learn from our mistakes end of story, so ALL DEPTS, AGENCIES DESERVE A SLAP ON THE BACK FOR A JOB WELL DONE!" The job got done, the main house was saved, and no one got hurt.. sounds like a very good stop to me and no reason to pick anyone of them apart for something that we see in a picture. GREAT JOB EVERYONE; YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND MADE A GREAT SAVE/AND OF COURSE THE OTHER AGENCIES ON THE SCENE IE EMS, REDCROSS, POLICE, FIRE INVESTIGATION DESERVE.. A YOU ALL DID A GREAT JOB AS WELL; ignore the nasty comments and arguments some people on here are choosing to pic a fight/argument about.

AS a career FF and former assistant chief of the Village of wappingers falls, i was there as a photographer at that fire, the guys worked their collective asses off at this job. and the most important thing that everyone misses when the pictures go up ..... Nobody got hurt, an EVERBODY went home safe at the fires conclusion, PERIOD

Good job fellas and stay safe

It would be nice to read articles/threads/forums without someone always trying to pick em' apart. I use to enjoy coming onto Emtbravo to check things out all the time, but now I don't come on as much because some people have turned Emtbravo into an argument site for themselves; it's one thing if the topic is suggesting an argument, but as in this incident it does not. On that note: I would like to express my "Everyone on that scene did a good job regardless if there were things that didn't go right, because everyone makes mistakes but we all learn from our mistakes end of story, so ALL DEPTS, AGENCIES DESERVE A SLAP ON THE BACK FOR A JOB WELL DONE!" The job got done, the main house was saved, and no one got hurt.. sounds like a very good stop to me and no reason to pick anyone of them apart for something that we see in a picture. GREAT JOB EVERYONE; YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND MADE A GREAT SAVE/AND OF COURSE THE OTHER AGENCIES ON THE SCENE IE EMS, REDCROSS, POLICE, FIRE INVESTIGATION DESERVE.. A YOU ALL DID A GREAT JOB AS WELL; ignore the nasty comments and arguments some people on here are choosing to pic a fight/argument about.

AS a career FF and former assistant chief of the Village of wappingers falls, i was there as a photographer at that fire, the guys worked their collective asses off at this job. and the most important thing that everyone misses when the pictures go up ..... Nobody got hurt, an EVERBODY went home safe at the fires conclusion, PERIOD

Good job fellas and stay safe

Very well put by both of you. Some of these posts sound more like my Grandmother always picking things apart and being negative about everything and not praising the good in anything. The brothers made a great stop, they worked hard, and no one got hurt.

clipper, we're seeing eye to eye on this. Thanks for taking the time to make the detailed reply.

To they guys that were there at this scene and every other job that ends up on this board it sucks that all that comes out from us armchair qb's is the negative, but thats all that you can really see in photos. In the shots of this fire, I can see the fire went out and attached structure was saved. Until someone says something we don't know that the place was a maze and a difficult stop. We don't know how advanced the fire was on arrival. The things that are done right don't stand out because thats what is expected. Bring us these details so we can learn something. Other than that, good stop. Stay well guys.

Edited by ny10570

The ladder was 1st set up to vent the roof of the annex where the fire load was. It was NEVER used for master stream, however, since the ladder also has a pump and just in case we needed it for master stream we hook up a 5" line.

Also ....... each side was laddered with ground ladders or the truck ..... we did have a 2nd truck in the back.

Every negitive comment here had least one of the following .... I was not there ... or I'm not sure.

I was there and I am sure .... and I will tell you what ... from how that inside looked with a maze of construction .... the fire load that was at the start of the call, and the fire started near the main part of the house .... a house that was over 100 years old with balloon construction ... hmmmm Isay it was a good stop

First, I have to apologize for this fire. When I first started working in Wappingers Falls for MLSS, I saw this house in my travels getting familiar with the roads and said "that place could be a death trap of a fire." Well, in any event, great stop guys, limiting the body of fire to the addition. That was also some pretty darn good placement of the truck given the room you have to work with there.

I too listened to the fire on the radio and I only wondered one thing... What is with one of the mutual aid departments refusing to send mutual aid? Isn't that in violation of the county mutual aid agreement? I know it would be in Orange County.

I too listened to the fire on the radio and I only wondered one thing... What is with one of the mutual aid departments refusing to send mutual aid? Isn't that in violation of the county mutual aid agreement? I know it would be in Orange County.

What refusing mutual aid? Do they have a preplanned M/A program like here in Westchester? If so then why be on the program in the first place if you can't/won't provide the protection that was put in place before an incident happens? I'm not trying to stir the pot but i am just REALLY curious about the above post.

What refusing mutual aid? Do they have a preplanned M/A program like here in Westchester? If so then why be on the program in the first place if you can't/won't provide the protection that was put in place before an incident happens? I'm not trying to stir the pot but i am just REALLY curious about the above post.

X2! :blink:

Not commenting on the refusal of m/a; m/a was called for manpower which was beyond the preplanned amount

Guys we seem to be beating a dead horse it happened not on purpose these are things that happens on scenes. Nobody sets out to do these things

My 2 cents:

1) The truck chauffer did an excellent job that morning,The truck placement got the ladder itself to hit a large section of the stucture. Nice job Traver

2) I personality now a lot of the guys got there asses kicked that morning and know first hand it was not a easy fire because of the building constuction, it was not a BIG fire ,but it was a lot of work.

3) I know this because I was there that morning, and not two countys away.

Joe Moore, Chief NHFD

x129K likes this

Just from knowing some of the guys that were there I am 100% sure a above and beond effort was given to stop this fire in its tracks , I work with some of you. With that said , it is very true, sometimes it is hard to get a good grasp on what its going on at a scene just from pictures. Sometimes things are not as they realy are I.E. the hose over the vehicle. I do not think that the hose over the vehicle was done to cause dammage. As I said I know some of you at the scene, I do think is was to make a point. The truck placement was great , and to take a few extra seconds to place it that way. Good job to the driver in being heads up.

Those little ones do kick your but. Great job Brothers. YOU TO CHIEF (Wapp Car 2) lol... Sucks being outside dosen't it?

My 2 cents:

1) The truck chauffer did an excellent job that morning,The truck placement got the ladder itself to hit a large section of the stucture. Nice job Traver

2) I personality now a lot of the guys got there asses kicked that morning and know first hand it was not a easy fire because of the building constuction, it was not a BIG fire ,but it was a lot of work.

3) I know this because I was there that morning, and not two countys away.

Joe Moore, Chief NHFD

Hey Joe Thanks for your help also .... you and your guys worked your asses off for sure