Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DR104

21 Pumpkintown Volunteer Firefighters Quit

15 posts in this topic

From Firehouse.com

A Pickens County fire department is relying on outside help because more than half of its volunteer staff just quit.

The Pumpkintown Volunteer Fire Department had 33 firefighters Monday, but after the Board of Commissioners voted 2-1 not to re-appoint Acting Fire Chief David James, only 12 remained on the job.

Former firefighter Tim Cooper said, "It's fluid situation. There's approximately 12 left of which only about six are certified to fight interior firefighting."

The flag flying half-staff at the Pumpkintown Fire Department conveys the loss of available firefighters.

Cooper said, "In essence, if there were tones to go out for a structure fire, there could be a response from none to very few."

He said, "We have to shuttle water. We have to haul our water to the fires. It takes a lot more manpower to set up a shuttle-water system and relay water than it would if you had a hydrant nearby."

Fire Department Commissioner Rhonda Billingsley said, "Apparently their loyalty is with the fire chief, which it should be. But their loyalty should also be to the community."

Billingsley said, "Our main problem with the chief was his blatant defiance of the board. He lied to the firefighters. He was just not the leader that we felt he should be."

Board member Liz Meyers said that the department answered fewer than 100 calls in the year from Nov. 1, 2006 to Oct. 31, 2007. Of those calls, 35 were fires, 27 were medical emergencies and 20 were other incidents, like trees falling because of weather, Meyers said.

The firefighters who quit said that they're at odds with the board on how to best serve the community.

It's an ongoing battle about staffing levels, equipment and training for the volunteers. The department has a $96,000 annual budget.

Cooper said, "It's not good for the community to slowly decimate our ranks so that there's nobody qualified to respond to fires."

Billingsley said, "We want our firemen to be community-oriented and they should be staying here for our community. No matter who we have as chief."

Neighboring fire districts have agreed to help out in the event of an emergency. Meanwhile, neighbors such as Ann Soenen say it's sad to see the fire station empty like this.

"I'm grateful for them," Soenen said. "I will never take them for granted again."

Soenen said, "I've seen firemen risk their lives and save families that lost everything, that had nothing to start with."

"They do far more than the public realizes than just putting out fires," she said.

Copyright 2008 by WYFF4.com. All rights reserved.

I have never heard of flying a flag at half staff due to losing manpower. Doesn't it cheapen the real meaning of why we lower the flag?

" The flag flying half-staff at the Pumpkintown Fire Department conveys the loss of available firefighters." I didn't know how to add this or post it with the article. ok so that's so wrong you do not fly the flag at half staff for a bunch of firefights who just quit!!!!!! I love to see the flag out there, but it seems too many people do not know when and how to fly the flag, and it's a shame!!!!!!! Learn when and how to fly the flag!!!!!!

Why not just go out there and fly it upside down for the universal signal of distress. In all seriousness I wonder if the flag was at half staff for something else and the writer just used it for hyperbole. Awesome dedication apparantly there. Nevermind trying to do things in a professional, civilized manner...just walk out and risk public safety...nice job...glad I don't live there.

I totally agree that this is a shameful and improper display of the flag at half-staff.

I think what we're seeing here (volunteers quitting en masse) is going to be a continuing trend if some leaders in the fire service want things done "their way" or "the old way" as opposed to the safe and effective way. As a whole, I think the younger members of the fire service are getting frustrated with the old rule and unfortunately, many times a mass exodus is the only way to bring attention to the subject. I see alot of fire departments where young members are fed up with the way their leaders run things, and the "good old boys (or girls)" club becomes introverted and self-serving by not allowing younger members to step up and take initiative to move departments into progress. Best of luck to the guys still serving, and I hope the Fire Commission listens to your pleas.

Clearly an unfortunate and dangerous situation, but i cant say i'm surprised. This type of "old boys club" crap is most often the rule rather than the exception.

The Firefighters put their emotions before their duties!, they are there to protect the lives and property of all who live in or pass through there district. But I guess some people had other agendas. I hope this can be resolved in a manner that the public wins the fire protection they need; and that the firefighters down there are happy.

Its is a great thing to see a group of people support their leader even if it meant giving up something they love to do. But at the same time putting a community at risk is not the apprioate way. While I respect their decisions and applaud their devotion to a chief, I feel a better solution could have used.

Doing that with the flag says the 21 best guys left.

I think what we're seeing here (volunteers quitting en masse) is going to be a continuing trend if some leaders in the fire service want things done "their way" or "the old way" as opposed to the safe and effective way.

Sometimes its the other way around. The leadership trying to improve the dept.; better managment, training, sop's, etc. and the old boys not going along with it.

Doing that with the flag says the 21 best guys left.

you are joking right?

If in fact the fire department did lower the flag because of the quiting, they should be ashamed of themselves. And the ranks that allowed that to happen should be disciplined.

Why not just go out there and fly it upside down for the universal signal of distress. In all seriousness I wonder if the flag was at half staff for something else and the writer just used it for hyperbole. Awesome dedication apparantly there. Nevermind trying to do things in a professional, civilized manner...just walk out and risk public safety...nice job...glad I don't live there.

Cause first of all it's only the universal sign of distress if you know that and unfortunately there is no more education in schools about our flag or etiquette or anything else - as evidenced by the people who stand there with their hats on during the National Anthem or don't bother to stand at all.

The distress signal would have been clever and not at all inappropriate. The flag is only supposed to be flown at half staff for certain deaths of public officials. The flag matter is disgraceful.

As for walking out because the popular Chief was removed, I agree with you guys! That's not what the job is all about. Public Safety first!

Sometimes its the other way around. The leadership trying to improve the dept.; better managment, training, sop's, etc. and the old boys not going along with it.

This is so true but not just the old boys there is a newer breed filtering that also has a resistive nature that thinks they know everything.

Quitting is not the answer.

What a bunch of Professionals...........