Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chiefhac

Charleston Sofa Super Store Fire Report released

14 posts in this topic

Charleston Sofa Super Store Fire Investigation Report Released

Download Report from in pdf format from SConFire.com News and Information for the South Carolina Fire Service.

http://sconfire.com/finalreportSSS.pdf

Edited by jack10562
Fixed link

Thanks Henry..... A very interesting read and a lot can be leaned from this unfortunate event......

Thanks Henry..... A very interesting read and a lot can be leaned from this unfortunate event......

Thanks also from me for posting it Henry.

Photo you are absolutely right..there is a lot that CAN be learned...the question is how many will?

How many departments will get a policy or SOG for dealing with lightweight construction. Write a respiratory protection policy and then enforce it? Hopefully much more then previously!

What was unbelievable to read was that department would use a single 2 1/2" as a supply line to an engine. They also used 1 1/2" as an attack line with automatic nozzles that were rated to flow 60 GPM. While we can learn about the IC functions and communication, some of the operations were out the Firefighting Stone ages. I really feel bad for the families when they have to read why their loved ones were behind the eight ball from the minute they arrived.

yes this was really hard too read .. the total breakdown of everything was hard too swallow...i am amazed that in this day and age that 1 1/2 lines and a booster line would be used in a commercial fire.. A LOT can sure be learned from this terrible fire. Mahopac has just this type of store ... freight liquidators if im not mistaken...

They also used 1 1/2" as an attack line with automatic nozzles that were rated to flow 60 GPM.

It's unfortune that we see tragedies like this repeat themselves. While their wasn't as significant a life loss, though 3 is too many, we see some of the same things in the One Meridian Plaza Fire of 1991.

Take history and learn from it.

Train, Train, Train, and then Train some more.

If you don't have the time or the ambition to ensure that you make it out of the next fire you operate at, then find a new job.

Plain and simple.

Read and learn.

Everybody Goes Home

There is a great lesson to be learned here and it is not a firematic one. It is a lesson in leadership. By all accounts, it is clear that the department did not evolve to keep up with current technology, training and standards. Men died because of a failure of leadership. This failure stems from the culture of the department. That culture is established by the chief. The chief did not apparently believe in a culture of continuous improvement as a cultural value. If he did, then those enhancements in training, technology, etc probably would have been adopted. Instilling a culture of continuous improvement enables individual firefighters to improve, and it encourages all members to make suggestions for the betterment of the department No chief has a monopoly on good ideas. Apparently this chief thought he did. There is an interesting website called firefighterhourly.com. It presents an interesting background by members who were present. The site is run by a credible journalist. Read it and you really begin to understand the culture of the department and the attitude of the chief. Any chief who knows it all, won't listen to others, won't trust his/her members, and doesn't continuously look for ways to improve is a detriment to the viability of the organization and the safety of his/her personnel.

There is a great lesson to be learned here and it is not a firematic one. It is a lesson in leadership. By all accounts, it is clear that the department did not evolve to keep up with current technology, training and standards. Men died because of a failure of leadership. This failure stems from the culture of the department. That culture is established by the chief. The chief did not apparently believe in a culture of continuous improvement as a cultural value. If he did, then those enhancements in training, technology, etc probably would have been adopted. Instilling a culture of continuous improvement enables individual firefighters to improve, and it encourages all members to make suggestions for the betterment of the department No chief has a monopoly on good ideas. Apparently this chief thought he did. There is an interesting website called firefighterhourly.com. It presents an interesting background by members who were present. The site is run by a credible journalist. Read it and you really begin to understand the culture of the department and the attitude of the chief. Any chief who knows it all, won't listen to others, won't trust his/her members, and doesn't continuously look for ways to improve is a detriment to the viability of the organization and the safety of his/her personnel.

does anyone on here think that it is only a problem in Charleston?

Status Quo can hurt any department, anywhere, but I have never seen anything to this level. Using one 2 1/2 as a supply line went out with the steam engine. Most of the Sound Shore switched over to 5" in the early 90's but at least we laid dual 3" lines before that.

New Haven still runs two 3" lines for supply, I don't know of anyone else off the top of my head that does.

Very well said. Many depts. fall into this trap. Most have been lucky for way to long, but as this incident shows, its just a matter of time.

Thanks Chief

does anyone on here think that it is only a problem in Charleston?

Nope, but I think Chief Jonker pointed out a major issue that is present in many depts.

"thats how its always been done"......is not a good answer,

If the answer is "we've determined its the best way because......" then it may be a good answer.

New Haven still runs two 3" lines for supply, I don't know of anyone else off the top of my head that does.

I believe Yonkers FD does also with certain Engine Cos. in certain areas of the City. I guess there's something to be said for a Reverse Lay.

Poughkeepsie just recently replaced their last engine that had dual 3 inch lays. It was in reserve for the last couple of years before being replaced. I didn't see it on the union's website as a reserve rig.

Edited by moggie6