Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Click-It-or-Ticket

27 posts in this topic

Beginning May 19th, and continuing for two weeks through June 1st, law enforcement agencies across the nation will have stepped up enforcement of seat belt use.

America's Seat Belt Campaign is the most successful seat belt enforcement campaign ever, helping create the highest national seat belt usage rate of 82 percent. Coast to coast, day or night, the message is simple - Click It or Ticket.

Day and Night, Cops are Cracking Down

Every year during this holiday period, law enforcement agencies join forces day and night, from coast-to-coast, for an enforcement blitz that delivers on our message “Click It or Ticket". The mobilization is supported by national and local paid advertising and earned media campaigns aimed at raising awareness before the blitz that ... Day or Night - Buckle Up or Pay Up.

Don't be caught dead sitting on your seatbelt.

post-128-1210958295.jpg

REMINDER....Here we go!

Today is the day stepped up seat-belt enforcement begins!!!

NYS Occupant Restraint Law Highlights:

• In the front seat, the driver and each passenger must wear a seat belt, one person per belt. The driver and front-seat passengers aged 16 or older can be fined up to $50 each for failure to buckle up.
  • Every occupant, regardless of age or seating position, of a motor vehicle being operated by the holder of a Class-DJ Learner Permit, a Limited Class-DJ, or Class-DJ Driver License must be restrained by a safety restraint.
  • The driver must make sure that each passenger under age 16 obeys the law. The driver can be fined $25 to $100 and receive three driver license penalty points for each violation.
  • A law enforcement officer can issue a traffic ticket just for failure to wear a seat belt. A ticket can be issued to the driver who fails to make sure a child passenger is properly secured in a safety seat or with a seat belt.
Read all about it:

NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law Excerpts

http://www.safeny.com/seat-vt.htm

Article 33 Miscellaneous rules

Section 1229-c. Operation of vehicles with safety seats and safety belts.

When are they going to crack down on a major CAUSE of MVC's......cell phone usage? It boggles me how many people are non-compliant with that law. I almost got t-boned by an idiot who sailed right through a red light while blabbing on his cell phone, and the had the nerve to flip me the bird! And they wonder where road rage comes from?

If they strictly enforced the cell phone laws, that's all that our LEO's would be doing....

there wouldn't be time left for anything else...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most PD's only enforce the cell phone law AFTER another infraction has occurred??

If they strictly enforced the cell phone laws, that's all that our LEO's would be doing....

there wouldn't be time left for anything else...

I don't know.....increase the fine to $500 and do a blitz. I think the results would be immediate, if not permanent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most PD's only enforce the cell phone law AFTER another infraction has occurred??

I'm gonna correct you because you're wrong.... cell phone violations are routinely enforced simply based on the cell phone infraction itself...

On seat belts, I don't understand why it's even an issue... how long have they been compulsory? In the UK, they've been compulsory since the early 1970s, and compliance is... I don't know, but it must be 99%+. Almost nobody back in the UK would ever even think of getting in a car without belting up.

On cellphones, I'd sooner solve the enforcement problem by repealing the law... the latest research has shown that hands-free phones make NO difference; it's the distraction of being involved in a conversation that leads to accidents, whether hand-held or hands-free. So really you have to say 'to hell with this - we allow cell phones and take the hit' or you have to ban ALL in-car communications - including hands-free cellphones, CBs, radios, the works. The current ban on hand-held cellphones is pointless, I don't know anyone who respects it, and I don't have a problem with that.

Mike

On cellphones, I'd sooner solve the enforcement problem by repealing the law... Mike

I have to admit that you've got a point. If my memory serves me, seat belt use in NY became mandatory on 01/01/86.

You want to write tickets for seatbelts & cell phones???? Stand in a toll booth. I see 55-65% of the people who come through committing one or both of these offenses.

You want to write tickets for seatbelts & cell phones???? Stand in a toll booth. I see 55-65% of the people who come through committing one or both of these offenses.

New Jersey State Police used to do that, they might still actually, but one of their troopers was killed do just that.

Christopher S. Scales died on December 3, 2002. Trooper Scales was conducting a seatbelt enforcement detail at Exit 12 on the New Jersey Turnpike when he was struck and killed by a passing motor vehicle.

So should they stop enforcement because a Trooper was killed? How many Police Officers have been killed in crown victoria's ? Did the stop driving them? I agree cops have a dangerous job.......but they all know that going in.

On cellphones, I'd sooner solve the enforcement problem by repealing the law... the latest research has shown that hands-free phones make NO difference; it's the distraction of being involved in a conversation that leads to accidents, whether hand-held or hands-free. So really you have to say 'to hell with this - we allow cell phones and take the hit' or you have to ban ALL in-car communications - including hands-free cellphones, CBs, radios, the works. The current ban on hand-held cellphones is pointless, I don't know anyone who respects it, and I don't have a problem with that.

Mike

Bingo. The original studies that "proved" cell phones to be so dangerous compared divers on cell phones to drivers completely free from distraction. There are some minor differences between cell phone conversations and other in car distractions but unless they block all calls in the car they might as well not bother.

So should they stop enforcement because a Trooper was killed? How many Police Officers have been killed in crown victoria's ? Did the stop driving them? I agree cops have a dangerous job.......but they all know that going in.

No. But its not a low risk operation that one might think. Granted you are only doing a visual inspection but people do strange things when the see law enforcement is watching.

But why is it that the cops are exempt from the same laws?. Or is it a case of "What do you mean I broke the law? I am the law!"

Every day I see cops from either the town or SP who drive over the speed limit, without seatbelts, talking on cell phones, turning without signaling, passing on the right, or my personal favorite, hitting the lights and siren to get through/around traffic or through the busy intersection/red light.

But I guess it's ok for them. Nobody's going to write them a ticket.

Face it. The whole idea of coordinated enforcement has more to do with revenue enhancement than anybody's safety. The same goes for the annual "Roadcheck" program that targets commercial vehicles. But that is another issue.

Edited by 50-65

As JJB531 said cell phone infractions are constantly enforced, but they also have to be seen by a LEO.

For anyone who has an issue with LEO on their phones...take the test, lol. As far as speeding, most are on a call, roving radar or putting mileage on the car. Its a fact of life...for $25 to $50, a good Saturday, a mile and half run under 12 mins and pass a coo coo test and you can do the same. Pass the math portion of the test and you'll be a firefighter...lol. ;)

As far as seatbelts..I don't care what gimmick is going on I wear mine 100% and so does anyone getting in my vehicle, POV, apparatus, flycar, etc.

The other difference between cell phone and seat belt enforcement is that "Click it or Ticket" is a NATIONAL campaign, sponsored by the Traffic Safety Group or whatever they are called. Federal funds are dispensed to enforce seatbelt use, including the use of other sponsors such as Consolidated Edison who puts the stickers on almost all of their vehicles. Cell Phone is not a national law, almost like motorcycles and helmets. Some states allow cell phones while driving, all states must buckle up.

But why is it that the cops are exempt from the same laws?. Or is it a case of "What do you mean I broke the law? I am the law!"

Every day I see cops from either the town or SP who drive over the speed limit, without seatbelts, talking on cell phones, turning without signaling, passing on the right, or my personal favorite, hitting the lights and siren to get through/around traffic or through the busy intersection/red light.

Face it. The whole idea of coordinated enforcement has more to do with revenue enhancement than anybody's safety. The same goes for the annual "Roadcheck" program that targets commercial vehicles. But that is another issue.

You're right. And that "exemption" shouldnt extend to any other emergency service either. So Ill step up my enforcement with FD and EMS for speed, cell phones, passing, parking in fire lanes etc. Thank you for opening my eyes to the problem :blink:

The other difference between cell phone and seat belt enforcement is that "Click it or Ticket" is a NATIONAL campaign, sponsored by the Traffic Safety Group or whatever they are called. Federal funds are dispensed to enforce seatbelt use, including the use of other sponsors such as Consolidated Edison who puts the stickers on almost all of their vehicles. Cell Phone is not a national law, almost like motorcycles and helmets. Some states allow cell phones while driving, all states must buckle up.

WRONG!!!

We are fortunate enough to NOT have a seat belt law in New Hampshire (for adults, anyway.) Nor, need we wear helmets on motorcycles.

The government does NOT need to be involved in every aspect of your life, no matter what NYS has brainwashed you into thinking. Do I wear my seatbelt. Most of the time, yup. And ALL the time in the fire truck.

More laws are NOT a better thing. Less laws are!

So my whole post was wrong because New Hampshire is the only state that apparently has no seat belt law? Click it or Ticket is a federal/national campaign. Just cause NH is so special doesn't change this. Maybe with all the traffic there, it isn't as unsafe as it is here...unless you run into a random cow...NH also doesn't have mandatory car insurance right? So when some dumba$$ from NH crashes into me, I am screwed. There are reasons for safety measures and for other things and that is because the American Public ain't so bright. Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is plain stupid and if I offend anyone, that is too bad. I don't like everything, but almost always am able to see a reason for why they come up with the rules and regulations...oh yeah NH live free or die...that is why they don't have safety laws.

So my whole post was wrong because New Hampshire is the only state that apparently has no seat belt law? Click it or Ticket is a federal/national campaign. Just cause NH is so special doesn't change this. Maybe with all the traffic there, it isn't as unsafe as it is here...unless you run into a random cow...NH also doesn't have mandatory car insurance right? So when some dumba$$ from NH crashes into me, I am screwed. There are reasons for safety measures and for other things and that is because the American Public ain't so bright. Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is plain stupid and if I offend anyone, that is too bad. I don't like everything, but almost always am able to see a reason for why they come up with the rules and regulations...oh yeah NH live free or die...that is why they don't have safety laws.

No, your whole post was not wrong...just the part about click it or ticket being mandatory. I merely pointed out how happy I am to live somewhere where we DON'T have all those laws. Amazingly enough, we aren't dying in droves here, and have pretty good seat belt usage.

I just don't like the NYS approach of throwing laws at everything, that is all.

Oh, and the other part that's wrong is the whole yankees thing!!! Then again, what fun would a rivalry be without an opponent, huh?

Be safe, seat belt or not!!

Just a reminder for everyone, BUCKLE UP...Ticket or not, Seat Belts Save Lives!

For where this program is being followed and seatbelt laws ARE being enforced, you can get stopped and get a ticket...

They had a seat belt check on Jackson Ave exit off the Northbound Sprain last night and because of this thread I did not get a ticket! Thank You Jack and EMTBRAVO! :lol:

Where does the overflow of ticket funds goto during these alerts? I was talking to a local cop and he said they locally dont see any money from the tickets, that it goes to the state and they in the end give up some to them. But i see day in day out 90 people here, 84 there, a few times of 100 poepls nabbed in traps for various things speeding, cell phone seatbelt,. I mean that is alot of fines. The one insult to injury that aggravates the hell out of me, is take your avergae ticket of 200 bucks... That 65 or so dollar court fee you have to add to it.. I sat in court and the totaled monies the court made alone and it was more than 5g's, and mind you this wasnt a packed room either, they had alot of no shows. Just seems it should be a set fine pay it and your done. Not fine ya, then add there fee BS.

Funny cause everyday at work I see private and municipal EMS units as well as plenty of fire apparatus doing the exact same things...

Hey OnTheWheel, good point... guess I'll start tagging all of the commercial EMS units racing around all over the place lights and sirens to non-emergency transports... as well as the FD units who roll through red lights to get back to their firehouse before their food gets cold.

I am sure we are ALL guilty of using our cell phone while driving. :rolleyes:

What I think is the MOST DANGEROUS is seeing a driver typing out a text message

to someone as they drive 60+ down the highway. THAT IS CRAZY!

BUCKLE UP!