Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Croton Falls Ward La France

36 posts in this topic

Was upstate conn. today for a truck club meeting at my freinds shop when I noticed a completed truck frame in one of the bays. It looked a lot like my 48 ward and after I asked found it to be CROTON FALLS WARD going threw a complete rebuild. looking good, can't wait to see it complete.

Not much of a truck. DOC22 what's the story?

Edited by PCFD ENG58

It's a 1939 Ward, I'm not sure but it may have been the first commrcially buil engine we had. I would loe to find out hat theypaidfor it brand new back in the thirties. If I can get up there and get some pics, I'll post them. This thing satin an old barn for years, in North Salem. The place had a dirtfloor, and i spite of that it was stil solid when it went up there. It's going through a complte rehab, with a price tag of over $100k, but when dne it'll be good as new.

Better than new! I know matt for many years, his work is museum quality. you will be very happy. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I hear fromthe guys on the antique committee who know him, he's meticulous and takes GREAT pride in EVERYTHING he does. I'm really looking frward to seeng it finished.

At 1800 hours this date 27 May 2009 "Grandma" came home!!!! As previously stated, Matt Pfahl and his crew have done an AWESOME job!! She is our first commercial chassis fire apparatus. Her unit number when I joined in 1963, was Engine 136. Some years later (I'm not sure when) the County reassigned numbers and she became Engine 147, and remained in active service until somewhere around 1968 or so when the District replaced the 1939 and 1948 Wards with a pair of generic GMC engines, I got a bunch of pictures this evening at North Salem firehouse. I'll try to post more if anybody wants to see them.

post-584-1243482649.jpg

post-584-1243482664.jpg

post-584-1243482677.jpg

post-584-1243482689.jpg

Looks great, can't beleave it's been over a year that I saw it at Matts shop. It came out great just like I told you, Good luck with it and lets start seeing it around! :rolleyes:

Looks great, can't beleave it's been over a year that I saw it at Matts shop. It came out great just like I told you, Good luck with it and lets start seeing it around! :rolleyes:

Oh She'll be around! There are still some unnoticable little things that he needs to do, but for all practical purposes she's done.

Looks great can not wait to see it in Katonahs Parade, Best of Luck with Grandma.

Glad to see a piece of Croton history restored, nice work and thanks Doc for sharing, I'd love to see more photos, post away!!

Very nice !!

Glad to see a piece of Croton history restored, nice work and thanks Doc for sharing, I'd love to see more photos, post away!!

Mark, thats what the FWD will look like when your done.

If anyone drove out Titicus Road in North Salem a year and a half ago, she was backed in an old barn and her nose had been bleached to a bright shade of pink. Really looked sad, so seeing this truck as Matt Backed it out of his trailer, was just about overwhelming.

DOC22 do you have a picture of it before the work was done?

I'm not sure, but if I can find something I'll scan and post if I can

seeing it sitting in that barn, then again last night I must admit it was a bit of an emotional time for those of us who remember when it was part of the operating fleet.

BEAUTIFUL!! And unique! I love it- thanks to DOC22 on the heads up to this thread.....looking foward to some more photos...

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to photograph it myself next time I'm in the Croton Falls area.....

Looks great, can't wait to see it in the parades this year!

Got to love the classics.

Who did the resotation? Would you happen to have any info such as name contact info and or any info on what it cost to restore? If you had any info I would appreciate it, for a restoration for my department. Please PM me if you have any.

thx

Who did the resotation? Would you happen to have any info such as name contact info and or any info on what it cost to restore? If you had any info I would appreciate it, for a restoration for my department. Please PM me if you have any.

thx

The work was done by Pfahl's Mack and Antique Truck Restorations located at 73 East Street, Bethlehem Connecticut 06751 Telephone number is (203) 266 6455. They do awesome work and take a lot of pride in everything they do.

I would definitely give Matt a call if you have a truck you want to have restored.

Doc I have those photos when the Ward was being done last summer but can"t upload them. Tried to resize with no luck. :angry:

Any more on getting some before and after pictures ?

Croton Falls takes 3 awards at Millford Muster for there 1939 Ward Lafrance , one being 6ft tall !

Croton Falls takes 3 awards at Millford Muster for there 1939 Ward Lafrance , one being 6ft tall !

I'll post some pics some time this week. The truck looked GREAT!

I'll post some pics some time this week. The truck looked GREAT!

Here are a few photos I took at Milford

Howard Peiffer

post-4754-1253021572.jpg

post-4754-1253021600.jpg

Wow thats some top notch restoration work, everything stripped back to new, dare I saw it, better than new !

Is there a before shot floating around ?