Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

What do you think? Boat calls this summer.

13 posts in this topic

What do you guys think. Seeing as the rising price of fuel is being shown to have an effect on the length and distance of peoples boat trips this summer; do you think that more people staying closer to home will result in more boat related calls in the LOHUD region? Been on my mind, will be interesting to see what actually happens, and what everyone else thinks.

P.S. this might be the wrong forum, I have no idea

Edited by ryefd192

i think we are going to have alot more motorcycle accidents with people switching to bikes and not having enough skill.

I do not think that there will be a rise in boating accidents because of the high price of gas for boats. There was a story on WCBS 880 about how the high price of gas for boats was preventing boaters for going out on their boats. I was in Norwalk today and I did not see very many boats out on the sound.

Ahh, see I figured people would just take shorter trips, thats what I had heard from some people who had boats, but I'm back at school for the next five weeks, so I haven't been around to see

i think we are going to have alot more motorcycle accidents with people switching to bikes and not having enough skill.

I have to agree with you. Alot of people will become first time riders or will jump on the wheel for the first time in years.

Agreed. I've seen an increase in motorcycles on the road already.

The rising gas prices will keep boaters from traveling further distances. This will not stop people from boating. Most of the Marinas in Westchester County are at or near capacity. This past week and weekend alone there was alot of vessel traffic on both the Hudson River and LIS. This was only pleasure craft. The commercial maritime community will continue to operate no matter what the fuel cost.

Thats what I had figured, so do you think that this circumstance will lead to more calls that are boat related?

I believe with the little amount of people going out there will be more call at the docks then in the middle of the water. And with the increase of police boats in the past few years the fire department is not getting called like they were 5 years ago such as the incident in montrose were the boat hit the rocks and PD boats took over the situation and the FD was never called!!! I have seen a major increase on emergency boats between Rockland County and Westchester County I know for a Fact there are Verplanck FD, Peekskill FD , Buchanan FD, Montrose FD, Montose VAFD, Croton FD, Ossining FD, Croton PD, WCPD, And I Believe Peekskill PD at time Plus the Navy Boats that are Guarding Indian Point, and across the river you have Stony Point FD, Stony Point or Rockland County PD and I believe Haverstraw FD. That is a lot of emergency boats for a little area and am pretty sure I am missing some emergency boats if you know more please add them in.

Irvington, Tarrytown, and Sleepy Hollow Fire Dept.'s all have boats, and so does Mount Pleasant Police. There are deffinately a large number of boats in the area.

The number of boat trips the "average Joe" is going to take will most definitely be limited by fuel costs.

For example, my Brother-in-law mentioned over the weekend about a buddy of his recently took his boat for a ride, 1-1/2 hours up river and back on the Hudson, and it cost over $700.00 in diesel to fill it up!!!

$233.00 an hour, in fuel!!!

I am sure that if you want to buy a boat these days , you will find alot of bargains.

I dont think it will change the number of calls, just where they are. I.E. the boat from NR will get in trouble off Huckelbury Is. (NR) and not off Milton Pt. (Rye) and vise versa for the boat from Rye. Still get 2 calls, but we will get our guy and you get yours.