Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCD0415

Vehicle Fires and Deck Guns.... ?

14 posts in this topic

This was sent to me by someone in my department recently and I thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone else agrees with this ? I will also state that I DO NOT agree with his philosophy.

Amazing video clip of part of a front bumper from a car shooting off during firefighting efforts. More and more FD's are attacking invovled vehicle fires with their deck gun. Interesting cocnept, especially afetr watching this clip. The insurance industry clearly states that any fire of significance in any of the three compartments on a vehicle (engine, passenger, trunk) results in the car being totalled as it is chepaer to repalce it than repair it. So why risk anything to fight that fire?. Why are we gearing up and running up to these car fires to put them out and putting our lives in jeapordy. Time to rethink how and why we fight these things the way we do. Let the video do the explaining i guess......

Does anyones department SOG's advocate using Deck Gun's to extinguish a vehicle fire ?

I believe that good training and proper attack approach angle with a handline should greatly diminish this concern. My Opinion.

I don't think the deck gun is necessary. Like you said above with the proper training and technique you should be ok. I don't really see anything wrong with using a deck gun but I think its unnecessary. My dept uses a 1 3/4 handline off the back of the engine and that has worked every time. I feel if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my opinion.

The Kingsbury NY VFD covers a portion of I-87 (Northway). they have had 2 engines built by Gowans Knight that have front bumper mounted deck guns. They do an initial knockdown on car fires with the deck guns. Photos by www.gowansknight.com

post-17-1212432553.jpg

post-17-1212432566.jpg

Pump Panel in cab

post-17-1212432667.jpg

I can't see too many advantages, but can think of several DIS-advantages...

Let's look for example, how many Gallons of water do you have to start out with?

How about if you park the engine close enough to the vehicle on fire to use this deck gun, then you're too close.

What about the direction of the runoff containing sooty water, gasoline, oil, whatever,.. this slime comes back at you and your guys track it all over the place...

You get the idea...

I can't see too many advantages, but can think of several DIS-advantages...

Let's look for example, how many Gallons of water do you have to start out with?

How about if you park the engine close enough to the vehicle on fire to use this deck gun, then you're too close.

What about the direction of the runoff containing sooty water, gasoline, oil, whatever,.. this slime comes back at you and your guys track it all over the place...

You get the idea...

Don't take this personally Jack, but that is where your training comes into play. Training in size-up, and operations. Its not actually the final amount of water that puts out fires, its the application rate. If you can get there and blitz a vehicle fire with a deck gun, you very well can have a quicker, and safer knock-down.

But proper training will also prevent FFs from being injured at a car fire as well. Proper approach angle, etc will greatly diminish your chances of being injured. Why dump all that water from a deck gun that creates more hazardous runoff when a simple 1 3/4" can knock it down much faster?

It's a car fire, don't take the risk if you don't have to. If no one is trapped inside or a building is not endagered don't go crazy. Like "DaRock98" said training and proper size up are key. If you can salvage the passenger compt. for the owner, great but don't put your self in any more danger than you are already in.

But proper training will also prevent FFs from being injured at a car fire as well. Proper approach angle, etc will greatly diminish your chances of being injured. Why dump all that water from a deck gun that creates more hazardous runoff when a simple 1 3/4" can knock it down much faster?

Nothing else needs to be said as far as car fires go. At least as far as silly front mounted remote deck guns are concerned.....I mean, while we're at it, lets add robot arms to open the doors, hood and trunk so that the water will actually get TO the fire.

Edited by M' Ave

Nothing else needs to be said as far as car fires go. At least as far as silly front mounted remote deck guns are concerned.....I mean, while we're at it, lets add robot arms to open the doors, hood and trunk so that the water will actually get TO the fire.

Ooooh, I know!!! How about a Ferrara Strong Arm!!! :lol:

logo.jpg

Ooooh, I know!!! How about a Ferrara Strong Arm!!! :lol:

logo.jpg

Between this, front mounted deck guns and those drychem? grenade things I should be out of job before I reach my 20! :blink:

Its another good tool in the tool box for a non-standard event. For example the tractor trailer fire in Ct a few months back that was knocked down from the other side of the highway with a deck gun and possibly saved the cargo in the trailer. I don't know about pissing away money for a bumper mounted gun that doesn't do the job any better than a handline and can't be used for much else.

I seem to recall that was Boston's method of dealing with car and dumpster fires, roll up quick blitz with the deck gun, extinguish and overhaul and move on. Also seen some of the local FD's here do it on brushfires, even with the monitor on their aerial

More and more FD's are attacking invovled vehicle fires with their deck gun. ......

I guess I was wondering who the "More and More" departments were that are already using this strategy.

Maybe thats not really the case.........