Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

T-Storms Tuesday 06/10/2008

23 posts in this topic

Wow, those storms rocked the area. I heard Dutchess got hit real good

Yes we did, the New Hamburg area got the worst of it. they had 2 structure fires in adjacent houses on Swenson Dr. sounded like basement fires in both, but not sure.

I can't figure out why they had Roosevelt St. 2 relocate an engine to New Hamburg, it's a 20 - 25 min ride with no traffic.

Parts of Westchester took a good beating too.

From the radio traffic:

-New Hamburg: 2 Adjacent structures, fires in basements of both, also dispatched in same area for a natural gas leak

-Chelsea: Dispatched for a structure fire, apparently nothing found

-Rhinecliff: Dispatched for a reported fully involved structure fire

-LaGrange: Dispatched to a structure fire

-Arlington: Tree vs. car w/unknown status of victims (if any in car at the time, and I never heard anything further)

-Multiple relocation companies going to alarms in their stand-by areas

-Multiple trees on houses/trailers with arc-ing power lines, either on the ground or arc-ing on the house itself

-One instance of a tree down on a propane tank

****These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Feel free to post more, and/or PM me and I will compile a running list of Dutchess' major alarms

The 1st real good storm of the season for me here in Rockland ! It looked like the storm was going to hit northern Rockland 1st and I didn't want to wait around for it to hit the Nyack area so I took a ride up toward Spring Valley/Hillcrest area and finally found a good spot to shoot at the Ramapo High School Football Field & Track. Results were so-so, could have been better in my opinion. All the photos have been posted on my website:

http://www.brianduddy.com/g/061008

DSC_4860.jpg

This lightning trigger that I have mounted on the hot shoe of my camera enables me to walk away, or even into the photograph as you can see. I guess I should have stood closer to the camera.

All we had was trees and wires down, nuttin big at all

We got hit good in New Canaan, CT. Our day started at 16:00 hrs when a transformer caught fire on a main line coming in from Norwalk and blacked out most of the town. CL@P got the power back up around 20:00 hrs, just in time for the storms to knock it out again. We ran about 25 calls in about 8 hrs.

Both fires in New Hamburg were both basement fire's. There was New Hamburg, Village of Wappingers Fall and Hughstonville Fire Dept's on scene. Great job by all member and the Command staff. A little confusion at first (hey two fires at the same time...it takes a toll on your brain) but they figured it out. Way to go guy's great save on both houses and a good old fashion ATA BOY to Glenn Kramer (45-1) for grabbing the dog in the 1st house, who was a little scared but was unharmed (to all of our amazement).

Trees down, wires down, trees on cars, manholes, two scaffoldings collapsed, window blown out of one building. Fallback step 3 for just under 2 hours. Queens had three fires. The Bronx got rocked, and rocked hard. We were filling out manual fire tickets for trees and wires for 2 hours and putting them in as soon as we got companies available. Only two relocations to act as second sections of L-32 and L-61. Good times.

We saw the lightning, heard the thunder, and had bsome breeze, and rain. One call for wires sparking on a pole and another for a tree down partially locking the road. Guess we lucked out tonight!

Con Edison had a peak of 34,720 customers out of power due to effects from the storm, and have restored almost 28, 000 to service.

Close to 7, 000 customers are still out, system-wide, as of right now.

The 1st real good storm of the season for me here in Rockland ! It looked like the storm was going to hit northern Rockland 1st and I didn't want to wait around for it to hit the Nyack area so I took a ride up toward Spring Valley/Hillcrest area and finally found a good spot to shoot at the Ramapo High School Football Field & Track. Results were so-so, could have been better in my opinion. All the photos have been posted on my website:

http://www.brianduddy.com/g/061008

DSC_4860.jpg

This lightning trigger that I have mounted on the hot shoe of my camera enables me to walk away, or even into the photograph as you can see. I guess I should have stood closer to the camera.

Thats a rather impressive looking lightning rod behind you.

Out here in Eastern PA my station got hit out for a reported house fire about 30 seconds after it started raining and we ran non-stop for the next 3 hours, calls starting slowing down once it got to about 11 and they started back up again this morning. We're still going out on transformer fires and trees and wires calls. All in all we had 4 reported house fires 3 transformer fires and 6 trees and wires calls just last night alone. Busy night but still fun.

Edited by RPM3311

We had a pretty busy night. Wires down and burning, transformers exploding, and a structure fire. I was surprised, it all started hours after the bulk of the storm had passed, around midnight we started getting toned out. The rest of the county was real busy during the storm and through this morning. Danbury sounded like they had a fun time during the storm too, from what I could hear of the scanner over the thunder.

Edited by Slayer61

Every dept in our area for bergen county (east bergen mutual aid) had hands full with calls all night long

Con Edison had a peak of 34,720 customers out of power due to effects from the storm, and have restored almost 28, 000 to service.

Close to 7, 000 customers are still out, system-wide, as of right now.

I have CenHud and my Wife just called me...we still have no freakin power! It REALLY sucks to live at the end of the line! :(

Brian I have never heard of this. How does it work?

Brian I have never heard of this. How does it work?

Not only how des it work, but what the hell is it??????? :unsure:

Power and Gas might take awhile to get back on. Central Hudson said on the local news possiably 6 months for some areas, but I am asuming this is the area in New Hamburg. Sounds like some got hit really hard.

Thomas

Just had a question.... i live in yonkers and was monitoring them throughout the storm.... pretty busy down here as well.... towards to the end of the night after the storm passed FSU 1,2 and 3 came into service. They were pretty much only dispatched to trees and wires down to secure the scenes and than go 10-8. What are these FSU units and are they only called into service for major incidents/storms... or incidents that have a high call volume?

Just had a question.... i live in yonkers and was monitoring them throughout the storm.... pretty busy down here as well.... towards to the end of the night after the storm passed FSU 1,2 and 3 came into service. They were pretty much only dispatched to trees and wires down to secure the scenes and than go 10-8. What are these FSU units and are they only called into service for major incidents/storms... or incidents that have a high call volume?

Bump for WM's question.