Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Mount Vernon FD & Yonkers FD Testing Ladder Truck

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why Mount Vernon FD and Yonkers FD were testing this ladder truck out? Is this one of Yonkers spare ladder trucks that they could possibly be loaning to FDMV? (Maybe the old Ladder 78 that was on loan to New Rochelle?)

post-2-1214152541.jpg

Edited by EMTbravo
Photo resized per photo posting guidelines

Def. the ladder we just gave back. FDMV is most likely looking for a decent spare.(Any FDMV guys know for sure?) Its by far the fastest to set up, that I've driven.

Does anyone know why Mount Vernon FD and Yonkers FD were testing this ladder truck out? Is this one of Yonkers spare ladder trucks that they could possibly be loaning to FDMV? (Maybe the old Ladder 78 that was on loan to New Rochelle?)

Who said FDMV was testing it out? From the pictures, I can't figure that out. I don't see anybody from FDMV there. Where did you get your info. from?

Definately looks like a seasoned vet

This information is according to YFDFireBuff who it appears had been provided access to this test. By the looks of this photo, it appears as if this test took place outside of the YFD Special Operations Facility down on Axminster and Saw Mill River Road. Can anyone from Mount Vernon FD or Yonkers FD confirm?

Who said FDMV was testing it out? From the pictures, I can't figure that out. I don't see anybody from FDMV there. Where did you get your info. from?

The guy on the turntable on the left is the FDMV Mechanic and the White Shirt on the ground is an FDMV Deputy Chief.

Thats B-3 on the ground and yes the Mech. on the turntable, finally something being done.

jloftus

L-2

That's Great News for FDMV. Will Mount Vernon have this truck as a spare permanently? Are they going to have the lettering and labels redone? What truck number will FDMV assign to this (Ladder 4?)

What truck number will FDMV assign to this (Ladder 4?)

Mount Vernon already has a Ladder 4. It's stationed in Greenville (j/k!)

It's good to see Yonkers lending a hand to Mount Vernon. I wonder who asked who though. However, I hope it's not restriped, as I hope this is only a short term solution, and MVFD will take advantage of one of the many fire apparatus manufacturers stock truck programs.

Something like this would be perfect for Mount Vernon. It's ready to be delivered and to go into service.

http://www.piercemfg.com/StockDeliveryDeta...8b-37a801ccc2bf

Or, Ferrara has some really good values as well. Here's another good "fit" for Mount Vernon that could be delivered immediately:

http://www.ferrarafire.com/apparatus/demo_units/index.html

The HD-107 listed already has a similar striping scheme to MVFD!!

maybe they can lend us a firehouse also,with the possibility of station 4 being shut down we can use a spare! 2 out of 4 firehouses shut down is not a good statistic!

What year is that rear mount? If MV would get the new seagrave mid-mount in service the need to borrow spares wouldn't be such a priority.

If MV would get the new seagrave mid-mount in service the need to borrow spares wouldn't be such a priority.

What are the issues with the Seagrave TL? It seems like it's had issues ever since it was delivered. Is it the chasis, motor, aerial, hydraulics?

I know MVFD Fleet Maintanence is one guy with no budget. Why even bother with having fire apparatus if you're not going to invest into keeping them in shape, and subsequently have continuous downtime due to pure neglect. I know PM is just a dream since the mechanic has his hands quite full. I think that DPW has more guys assigned to fix garbage trucks- maybe they should send some over to help keep MVFD's fleet on the road. Maybe even hire Rapid Fire Services to help out when needed.

It seems MVFD just dumps money into putting band-aids on things, instead of investing in the future- which in the long run, actually SAVES money. And PD is getting horses. When will it end? Can't MVFD put a clause in it's contract about apparatus? I mean, you still have guys riding in open cabs in a high volume, urban fire department, next to the one of the largest cities in the world, in one of the wealthiest areas of our nation.

If Mount Vernon can't afford to provide life safety services to it's citizens (does it still only have ONE ALS ambulance assigned to the city?), then it's needs to abolish itself and let it be absorbed by one or more of it's larger neighbors who can better intergrate it into it's tax base.

What year is that rear mount? If MV would get the new seagrave mid-mount in service the need to borrow spares wouldn't be such a priority.

"91"

What are the issues with the Seagrave TL? It seems like it's had issues ever since it was delivered. Is it the chasis, motor, aerial, hydraulics?

I quote, "When it gets wet, the jacks go down"

Edited by NoFearFD

It seems MVFD just dumps money into putting band-aids on things, instead of investing in the future- which in the long run, actually SAVES money. And PD is getting horses. When will it end? Can't MVFD put a clause in it's contract about apparatus? I mean, you still have guys riding in open cabs in a high volume, urban fire department, next to the one of the largest cities in the world, in one of the wealthiest areas of our nation.

If Mount Vernon can't afford to provide life safety services to it's citizens (does it still only have ONE ALS ambulance assigned to the city?), then it's needs to abolish itself and let it be absorbed by one or more of it's larger neighbors who can better intergrate it into it's tax base.

Some people seem to be fixated on the horses now operated by the PD - what that has to do with the pitiful treatment of the FD is beyond me. The PD commissioner secured funds (not TAX funds but donations and grants) to get the horses and use existing cops for them.

It's not like the PD is living large at the expense of the FD. Both departments are understaffed, underpaid, and underequipped.

Some people seem to be fixated on the horses now operated by the PD - what that has to do with the pitiful treatment of the FD is beyond me. The PD commissioner secured funds (not TAX funds but donations and grants) to get the horses and use existing cops for them.

It's not like the PD is living large at the expense of the FD. Both departments are understaffed, underpaid, and underequipped.

Agreed. My point was more that the administration of the PD seems to be able to get more done (like the grants) then the administration of the FD can.

Agreed. My point was more that the administration of the PD seems to be able to get more done (like the grants) then the administration of the FD can.

The ability to get more grants is a given, there are many grants for law enforcement and very few for fire.

Fire Act Grant (which MVFD has recieved)

Safer (which is a very poor grant, particularly when compared to the COPS grant. SAFER gets 20% of COPS)

Fire Prevention Grant (which MVFD has recieved)

Thats it. (unless you are in a rural area, and even with horses (sorry Chris) MV is not rural).

There are also UASI & SUASP Grants that go to the major cities in Westchester. But they are for many progams (including Law Enforcement, OEM, EMS, & FD...but very limited in what you can get for FD...i.e no suppression stuff).

Edited by Bnechis