Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFC278

HRPC Ladder Restoration

23 posts in this topic

The Fairview Fire District Explorers Post 17 recently purchased the old Hudson River State Hospital Ladder.Under the direction of FF Craig Elderkin and Life Member Al Kahler the truck is looking really great. Here are a few shots I took on 07/03/08.

post-1241-1215288762.jpg

post-1241-1215288790.jpg

post-1241-1215288827.jpg

post-1241-1215288849.jpg

post-1241-1215288872.jpg

post-1241-1215288899.jpg

post-1241-1215288920.jpg

post-1241-1215288951.jpg

post-1241-1215288969.jpg

post-1241-1215288986.jpg

Holy crap!!!!!!! That thing is MINT!

What is the running condition? Does it drive/operate/extend?

NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!

SWEET!!!!!

Great job so far. Is the aerial gonna be made operational?

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Why did the HRPC have its own ladder? were there paid memebers that just sat there?

HRPC was its own little city back then. They had a public sfaety dept. that did double duty as security and fire protection. Not sure about staffing. The ladder raises, rotates, and extends, and was pretty sturdy when I climbed it. Everything runs, justs needs some minor astethic upgrades and it will be good to go. I beleive it sat out at the tree farm in Pleasant Valley in a barn for a number of years before the latest restoration.

HRPC was its own little city back then. They had a public sfaety dept. that did double duty as security and fire protection. Not sure about staffing. The ladder raises, rotates, and extends, and was pretty sturdy when I climbed it. Everything runs, justs needs some minor astethic upgrades and it will be good to go. I beleive it sat out at the tree farm in Pleasant Valley in a barn for a number of years before the latest restoration.

It's beautiful.

AND has a pomp! :blink:

The aerial is completely operational. She runs really well but needs some minor adjustments. To answer the question of why HRPC had its own truck , at one time the Hospital had over 5,000 residents and employees.It had its own power plant, farms for food including vegatables, pigs and livestock. It also had its own water plant to supply its own water system.The HRPC was very much self reliant. The safety patrol was cross - trained to act as security and as a fire brigade. Any fire that was of any size usually required Fairview, and Poughkeepsie to control.

Just curious can this be used as a back up ladder??? Or a drafting truck??? Kinda used as a reserve fire truck.

Thomas

i think that it looks like it might be just a rig to go to prades any on know

Very cool. Will we see it in the Millbrook Parade this coming weekend?

Very cool. Will we see it in the Millbrook Parade this coming weekend?

I believe that is the plan.

I believe that is the plan.

You going there too Boss?

You going there too Boss?

I don't know yet. Anyway, I'm older than the truck and not half as good looking.

I will try to have my wife get some more pics of the rig going down the street and post them.

Wow, a Fire Explorer post with an aerial? Thats awesome. Now if I can only get a cruiser for my Police Explorer Post...

That shouldn't be a problem, just can't have red lights siren or a police radio HAHA

That shouldn't be a problem, just can't have red lights siren or a police radio HAHA

Doc, does it even have a radio? :lol:

Mike

What is this rig. It looks like a 1963 American LaFrance but I could be very off from that estimate.

What is this rig. It looks like a 1963 American LaFrance but I could be very off from that estimate.

1954 ALF.

That is a 1949 thru 1957 700 JUNIOR SERIES 85ft AMERICAN LA FRANCE. After 1957 they were 800 series and before 1949 they had a defferent front bumper ;) .[PCFD ENG58] MY DAD!

Edited by PCFD JR58

nice job AL look great see you guys in Millbrook and hopefully Dover. As far as the hospital goes I know Harlem Valley and Wassaic also had their own trucks with staffing done by safety also. I beleive Wassaic may still have their utility truck.