Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Hudson River Incident 7/28/08

33 posts in this topic

Westchester Units Operating:

WCDES: Battalion 10

WCPD: Air 2, Marine 4

Continental Village FD: 2131, 2132, R39, Marine 6 (AKA Putnam 14-1-1, 14-1-2, 14-6-1, 14-Marine-1

Croton FD: 2083, Marine 12

Peekskill VAC: 7511. 75B4

Cortlandt VAC: 8812, 88B1

Cortlandt ALS: 3511

Peekskill FD ALS: 39M1

Mohegan VAC: 69B3 (Standing by to cover Peekskill)

Vessel crashed into a marsh area as stated in the IA. All five victims trapped underneath it. Personnel and equipment from the Fort Montgomery, Highland Falls, Vails Gate, Cold Spring, Croton, Continental Village Fire Departments and LEOs from Putnam Sheriffs, Rockland Sheriffs, Town of Highlands worked with EMS personnel to free the victims. Air bags, hydraulic and electric tools were used to raise the boat off of the victims. This operation was very complicating because of the soft marsh that we had as a platform to work from.

Times are approximate:

At 01:43 - Patient #1 extricated.

At 02:04 - Patients #2 & #3 extricated.

At 02:25 - Patient #4 extricated.

At 02:59 - Patient #5 extricated.

I believe two were flown to WMC, 1 ALS to Cornwall and 1 ALS to WMC - but I am not 100% sure.

Good work by all involved, many thanks to those overhead with the spotlights! (WCPD, NYSP I believe)

Over the past few years I have posted on here the importance of having marine units in service on the Hudson.This is a very tragic incident which only confirms my thoughts about the river. Last night the river was calm as can be. Not many boats were out and look what happens. From the TZ-Beacon NB bridge there are alot of boats with alot of inexperienced people driving them. I haven't talked to anyone yet who was at the scene but from looking at the situation I would say speed was 1 factor involved in this incident. Many times at night you can hear from my house which is exactly 1 mile from the river a boat flying out there.There is a big difference from night/day. The place where this incident took place is a tricky part of the river where many boats over the years have went aground. As you come south you can see the lights on the Bear Mtn Bridge and you think that you can continue south with no problem. If you look at the picture posted in the other post you can see how somebody can screw up.A close friend of mine did it about 12 yrs ago the fortunate thing was that nobody was hurt. The river is not a joke and should not be taken lightly! Good job to all involved out there under tough conditions! Hudson.

Edited by hudson144

In Dutchess, City of Beacon 33-99, 33-55 and Beacon Vol. Amb were on the job, as it was originaly thought to be by Bannermans Island. Early reports from Putnam, Dutches, Newburgh fire & OC911 reported that they came from Gullys.

Sounds like you had 1 hell of a rescue! God job that had to be frustrating

Add to the list

At the scene Garrison 15-1-2. 15-6-1, Cold Spring 13-1-1 and 13-6-1, both buses from Garrison Ambulance, one from Phillipstown Ambulance and Cortlandt VAC with Peekskill 35 1 assisting.

At the LZ Garrison 15-2-2.

Air units from as far as NJ.

Edited by ajsbear

Being a recreational boater myself, I was just curious what type of boat was it and how big?

Sounds like everyone on scene did an awesome job…

Being a recreational boater myself, I was just curious what type of boat was it and how big?

Did you bother to read the link 585 posted?

26 feet.

And I hope a breathalyzer and or blood was drawn from the driver. Why you would attempt to navigate waters without an aide or sound wits is beyond me. Luckily none of the guys responding were injured.

When the call came into Put 911, the only info we were given was that the boat was a 26 foot long vessel, unsure of the type though...

I left work at 0030 when they(field units) told us (Putnam 911) the boat was found and it looked like everyone was ok. I guess it was a little premature. Were any dive team resources used in the rescue?

Edited by EJS1810

NO ICS!!! The Water Rescue from HELL!!! (from a dispatchers point of view)

I also want to point out the fabulous job that 60 Control did for the Westchester units. It was very difficult with 3 counties of units operating, multiple helicopters, multiple agency types etc. I relied heavily on the trunking system to get information that was difficult for the Putnam units to get or couldn't get and 607, 622, and the Bode kept me informed up to the minute and in some cases up to the second for me to make the best transport decision for my patient. The system worked wonderfully from Garrison.

As far as ICS, I can't speak for Putnam being I had no communication with them. However the EMS side with the numbers of Westchester units went very well and was coordinated as best as could be with patients being brought to the Orange side and to Garrision. This is one occassion where not having a common frequency available makes things difficult and the only way to help with it somewhat is to have good ICS in place at your CP (area of operation). The only other thing I can think of after action and for the amount of time of operation that may have helped is if someone from either Putnam or Orange had sent a liasion to the other side to being able to have better communication between them. I have another synopsis of how things could have helped efficiency of the operation but will save that for a discussion a bit later. Its nothing that directly effects patient care but just a managment perspective.

I would definately say that the info you heard EJS was definately premature....good example of why you have to get a good grip of the situation and think before any info is given.

Additionally, 35M1 wasn't operating at that scene...35-1 responding to assist.

I wish my best for all injured and my thoughts go to the family of the deceased. Sad night to say the least.

Edited by alsfirefighter

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=...&id=6293347 Heres a video from channels 7's website it sounded like a really cool call.

Texas no disrespect intended...and I think it has to do with what you have listed as your age and I'm hoping it will change with time...however...if no one in your department has tried to correct this or make a point about it, I feel like I have to comment...

there is no such thing as a "really cool call" when life is lost, people are fighting for their lives or people lose all their possessions. Unique calls...yes....interesting calls...yes...I'll even give you that I've seen some really "cool" things done at calls.

This is in the same line when I hear people say "I wish we'd get a call" or "I wish we get a fire."

No problem...I just hope its your house or a family member. There is nothing cool about the incident.

...... I have another synopsis of how things could have helped efficiency of the operation but will save that for a discussion a bit later. Its nothing that directly effects patient care but just a managment perspective.

Please share, I am sure that most members here, like myself, eagerly read your posts.

there is no such thing as a "really cool call" when life is lost, people are fighting for their lives or people lose all their possessions. Unique calls...yes....interesting calls...yes...I'll even give you that I've seen some really "cool" things done at calls.

I couldn't agree more, sometimes I wish everyone would realize that this is a public website and as such anyone can come across these posts such as the media, victims, etc.. We always try to hold the media to a higher level in their reporting and somehow we fail miserably at trying to keep our standard higher.

One of those once in a lifetime calls...sounds like everyone did an excellent job especially given the time of day and conditions!

And Hudson...I hear the same boat on the Hudson at night...I went outside the other night to listen to him roar off at 1:30am!

Texas no disrespect intended...and I think it has to do with what you have listed as your age and I'm hoping it will change with time...however...if no one in your department has tried to correct this or make a point about it, I feel like I have to comment...

This is in the same line when I hear people say "I wish we'd get a call" or "I wish we get a fire."

No problem...I just hope its your house or a family member. There is nothing cool about the incident.

Well said!

NO ICS!!! The Water Rescue from HELL!!! (from a dispatchers point of view)

You're gonna have to enlighten us a little bit more as to why you felt that way...

What made it so awful from the dispatcher's persective?

Hey Chris, was that you up there?

(2083)

Hey Chris, was that you up there?

(2083)

Yup, I was the guy holding the really big flashlight. :P

Did you remember to record anything this time...?

As frustrating as it was I think everyone did a great job. Usually you hear a call like that and it's BS. Last night as soon as I heard DC911 dispatch Beacon, Newburgh & OC911 disp Fort Montgomery marine units I could tell this was not one of those BS calls. Although I could not hear PC911 I could tell the dispatchers were playing their "A" game and seemed to communicate pretty good with thier nieghbors.

When operating at any multi jurisdiction incident communication seems to fall short sometimes. One good thing is the boats are able to communicate on marine radio's with the same channel.

This incident especially from a technical rescue point of view should be submitted to a fire magizine like Firehouse. This would provide good information on one of the most unique calls in years.

Good job everyone!

God Bless the one who passed and the others that were injured.

JetPhoto

Please share, I am sure that most members here, like myself, eagerly read your posts.

In due time I will (if we remember) to bring up some things from my own observations, an ICS instructor and proponent of using as close to textbook ICS system as possible. With the fact that a young man lost his life and the others are from what it sounds healing and will have to heal from psychological wounds from quite some time, I'd rather give it a few days and let things settle and digest before have a discussion that relates to the incident. I just don't want to make anyone involved to feel they are being judged or criticized which isn't my intention...I'd rather be able to use it as a case study for a very intricate situation and have some good discussion about a few things pertaining to the type of incident, its location and the challenges it presented from an ICS standpoint and some other things that I noted while on scene. I think there are a few very good things to learn from this particular incident in regard to ICS type activities and challenges.

Yup, I was the guy holding the really big flashlight. :P

Can i get a commission on your OT, I called the Lt and asked for you :o

In due time I will (if we remember) to bring up some things from my own observations, an ICS instructor and proponent of using as close to textbook ICS system as possible. With the fact that a young man lost his life and the others are from what it sounds healing and will have to heal from psychological wounds from quite some time, I'd rather give it a few days and let things settle and digest before have a discussion that relates to the incident. I just don't want to make anyone involved to feel they are being judged or criticized which isn't my intention...I'd rather be able to use it as a case study for a very intricate situation and have some good discussion about a few things pertaining to the type of incident, its location and the challenges it presented from an ICS standpoint and some other things that I noted while on scene. I think there are a few very good things to learn from this particular incident in regard to ICS type activities and challenges.

ALS, I agree that we should give the families some time. I learned today one of the injured was a former member of Mahopac Falls VFD. I did the original dispatch for Cold Spring and then I called for the fleet. I have been writing down what I remember and would like to have a good critique soon. I will be asking fo rit through the Bureau.

My thoughts & prayers are with the people and families involved.

Yeah I should have worded that different because it's deffinatly not cool when somebody dies.

I was working this incident from Putnam 911 from midnight on, and I want to thank all those involved from all counties and agencies for their hard work. We may have lost one life, but we all know that without the determination of all those involved, we could have lost five lives. Well done to all. And again.

Thank you so much.

I do want to send my condolences to all the families involved, and especially the former Mahopac Falls VFD member, somebody I vollied with many years ago. Hope for safe recoveries.

Edited by PC_420

And to think my involvement in this call was limited to moving my truck out of the way so 35-1 could get his truck out and go buff....i mean respond to the call. It originally came over as responding to the Riverfront Green in Peekskill, but then got bumped north.

See what happens when I change zones Tom? :P

On a side note, turns out my brother is good friends with all the parties involved. I wish them all a quick recovery and hope the family and friends of the departed are able to mend with time after such a tragic loss.

Edited by WAS967