Photos- Retired Tanker spotted -Protection From Past

12 posts in this topic

Spotted in Tarrytown 7/30/08

post-23-1217646884.jpg

PFP

post-23-1217647390.jpg

Putnam Lake Fire Department

Putnam County, NY

The former 23-4-1 is a 1989 Kenworth S & S tanker Equipped with a 750 GPM Hale pump with

2000 gallons of water in a stainless steel elliptical tank (credit: PLFD website)

http://www.plfd.org

FD Website

According to a member of Putnam Lake, Stiloski's (sp?) Twoing bought the truck and will remove the tank & pump an replace it with a heavy duty utility body., Oh yeah, they will also cure it of Lime Disease

Edited by EJS1810

I'm kinda surprised it was unloaded after doing less than 20 years. Not something you see every day.

Thanks for the photos! I'm sure John will put it to good use...I'm waiting to hear back from him on his exact plans. I know they have several Kenworth's in their fleet.

I was wondering why PVFD got rid of what appears to be a tanker in very good condition, but then I realized that their new tanker carries 3,000 gallons, as opposed to the old one above, which only carries 2,000. That extra 1,000 does make a difference, as do the new side chutes.

Also, I wonder how much they sold it to Stiloski's for? I'm assuming there must have been some sort of catasatrophic defect with the tank or body, because it seems like it would have been of great use as a backup tanker or even as a tanker for another department. Seems like it was very well maintained and still had some good years left....

I'm kinda surprised it was unloaded after doing less than 20 years. Not something you see every day.

According to a friend of mine in PLFD, they were having issues wth the tank corroding. Some type of micro organisims were eating into the tank. The new tanker has a poly wrapped tank and should not have the same problem.

I did post about this a few weeks ago... Good to see someone found a pic though.

Those pesky micro organisms are electrons!

What happens over time is the tank steel (any steel tank) deteriorates due to galvanic corrosion, that is a result of dis-similar metals (stainless steel tank and cast bronze pump) both in a common electrolyte solution (water) that produces a tiny electric current. Stainless is not immune from this corrosion though it is more resistant than plain steel.

The bronze pump casting metal is a more noble (less likely to be attacked) cathodic material than the tank itself, which is anodic. The current flows from the anode to the cathode and in the process the anode surface material is slowly removed. Eventually the tank wall material becomes thin enough in the weakest spots and leaks.

It's a shame this rig has to be decomissioned for want of some cheap cathodic protection from the get-go.

Lime disease...I like it.

There is a cure, 20726DH

Dan is that whats wrong with UVFD lime disease?????