Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

And the new MV Commish is.....

36 posts in this topic

Hey, if Noah and Teddy can bring back Engine 1, Ladder 1 and Foam 1 all into full time front line service, with proper full manpower allotments per rig througout the city, then we can all call these 2 "true Heroes" as it relates to the City of Mount Vernon.

Everyone talks about bringing back MV to what it use to be, does anyone actually know what that was? Yes the rescue was manned with 4, but was that not at the cost of manning on the engines and trucks?

Doesn't the MV City charter cap the number of uniformed personnel? And that cap has been in place since the 1950's?

Has Foam 1 everbeen manned or is it a 2nd piece?

Having this new leadership is a great start and I know Noah and teddy will work hard to improve FDMV, but I think the manning issues will be there for many years to come.

Just saying that MV should hire more does not get around the city charter and changing the charter requires the community to vote (a vote that will increase taxes) this is in a community that in May voted down all sports in the schools to prevent the increase in taxes (note....it did not reduce the tax, just hold it at last years level).

I wish them luck.........

Everyone talks about bringing back MV to what it use to be, does anyone actually know what that was? Yes the rescue was manned with 4, but was that not at the cost of manning on the engines and trucks?

Doesn't the MV City charter cap the number of uniformed personnel? And that cap has been in place since the 1950's?

Has Foam 1 everbeen manned or is it a 2nd piece?

Having this new leadership is a great start and I know Noah and teddy will work hard to improve FDMV, but I think the manning issues will be there for many years to come.

Just saying that MV should hire more does not get around the city charter and changing the charter requires the community to vote (a vote that will increase taxes) this is in a community that in May voted down all sports in the schools to prevent the increase in taxes (note....it did not reduce the tax, just hold it at last years level).

I wish them luck.........

When I got on FDMV in 1988 we had 5 Engine Co's (Eng.1 had just been decommissioned) 3 Ladder Co's and the Rescue. Foam 1 was kept in Sta.2 and was manned by Eng.5 back step man when needed to respond. In years earlier they even had a Rescue 2 which was manned and did primarily EMS. From what I was told by the senior men was that back when the Rescue ran out of it's own quarters on Fulton Ave. with 5 or 6 men, they used to work a 56 hour work week.

Good Luck to Noah & Teddy. They have a very tough road ahead of them. It's no easy job to take over a department where moral is very low.

Back in the 70's they also had a flying Squad with an Officer and 2 men, in addition to the Rescue. Maybe ChiefHAC can elaborate further.

Looks like we went backwards! lol

Looks like we went backwards! lol

Looks like the whole Fire Service in general did. I can't believe how bad it's gotten post 9/11.

Notice to topic followers: Numerous OFF TOPIC posts have been removed. Several were personal attacks, and that will not be tolerated.