Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

TIC's (not the nervous kind)

15 posts in this topic

What do you use your TIC's for? I am sure some use it for more than locating heat. Any interesting situations that it was used and either proved useful or distrustful? I can recall chasing a fire through 4 floors blasting walls trying to locate some BX that was burning, we would have done less damage had we just waited till it started burning! Also love using it to see how much product is in a drum. Anyone take any of those FDIC HOT class's for TIC's?

What do you use your TIC's for? I am sure some use it for more than locating heat. Any interesting situations that it was used and either proved useful or distrustful? I can recall chasing a fire through 4 floors blasting walls trying to locate some BX that was burning, we would have done less damage had we just waited till it started burning! Also love using it to see how much product is in a drum. Anyone take any of those FDIC HOT class's for TIC's?

Roofsopen, Im interested in learning more about the product in the barrel use of the TIC, you have any links or info to share on this? I would appreciate it very much, just getting back active in my Haz-Mat Team and am interested in this. Thanks

After extinguishing a small roof fire, I had it in the ceiling / soffit looking out towards the facia and found what looked to be a 4" square "hot spot". It took me a minute to relize that I was seeing a spot where the sun was peeking through the roof down onto the rafters.

MVA at night with no patient found near vehicle. TIC can be used to scan wooded area for body heat if the victim got ejected or stumbled away and went down.

MVA at night with no patient found near vehicle. TIC can be used to scan wooded area for body heat if the victim got ejected or stumbled away and went down.

Always a good one, also you can use it to scan water to look for that bobbing warm head!

The Drum trick shows you the frost line. I think the easiest way to explain it is that the product inside will be a different temperature as it absorbs the energy of temperature, causing it to show up as a different color, especially if it has been moving around for a bit and the atoms are excited.

Ditto, and the drivers who shouldn't be driving that like to flee the scene.

After extinguishing a small roof fire, I had it in the ceiling / soffit looking out towards the facia and found what looked to be a 4" square "hot spot". It took me a minute to relize that I was seeing a spot where the sun was peeking through the roof down onto the rafters.

Just bear in mind that (especially at this time of year) foliage can obscure a human form and make it almost unrecognizable with thermal imaging. Searching water for the bobbing head is also extremely difficult, much more so at ground level. I urge you all to practice, practice, practice and not just with guys standing on the firehouse apron but guys in the woods or other locations so you get used to the different ways the image is presented.

Properly used, thermal imaging cameras can pick up a discarded firearm, other contraband, tire marks left by a fleeing vehicle and much, much more. But, like anything else, it is a perishable skill. If you only pull the TIC and use it to scan a ceiling once in a while you can easily miss the human accident victim or other target that you want to find.

Don't feel bad LAD19DER, I've found more transformers on poles than I'd care to count and have sent ground units after a raccoon during a search. Still doesn't top the crew out west that had a K-9 unit "check" what turned out to be a beehive, though!

Practice, practice, practice!!!

I find it to be a tremendous tool at working fires.

1. Fireproof multiple dwellings with a banked down hallway it is very useful in finding the fire apartment.

2. Finding extension on the floor above is much easier with the TIC especially if you have the new generation that changes color under high heat gradients.

3. Investigating smoke conditions-The use of the cross hairs to measure temperature allow you to find motors, ballasts hotter than the ones around them usually things over 110 degrees arise my suspicion from experience.

4. Size up from outside the building especially in colder weather will show a window/apartment hotter than the rest. More and more with thermal pane windows they are intact on arrival and determining the fire apartment is not always straight forward. I will admit I have to remind myself to do this when getting off the rig as the temptation is to run in the front door. But A. it's the professional thing and proper size up way to go and B. It allows your inside team to grab their tools so you enter as a team.

I find it less useful during overhaul because everything seems to show heat and I would say I probably do overhaul the old fashion way (opening up until you reach a clean bay and then one more, any surface you can't put the back of a ungloved hand on should be opened, ect.)

A very important thing to stress when training with the tools is not to become TIC dependent it is a computer operating on batteries that you are taking into a fire-be ready for failure at any moment. So keep your search oriented stay down low as if you didn't have a camera and don't get drawn like a deer in the headlights to the fire. I once passed the bathroom that had the burning mattress in the tub because the camera was leading me to the fire in the living room.

Lastly I have done the TIC class at FDIC and been trained by Safe IR in FLSTP and highly recommend their training. There instructors have a tremendous amount of experience with the camera and their class has a good balance of classroom and live fire training.

Besides the usual fires, I have used to TIC to look for a 99 in the woods. Subject turned up unfounded but we got our exersise that night

Besides the usual fires, I have used to TIC to look for a 99 in the woods. Subject turned up unfounded but we got our exersise that night

He turned up, just 20 minutes later with the police about 5 blocks off the search area!

I find it less useful during overhaul because everything seems to show heat and I would say I probably do overhaul the old fashion way (opening up until you reach a clean bay and then one more, any surface you can't put the back of a ungloved hand on should be opened, ect.)

Couldn't agree more. As soon as its time for overhaul people go running for the TIC. Personally, find clean walls then bring out the tic to double check.

I just used by TIC and still can't understand the "99" comment. Another reason to use plain english in all communications!!!!!!

As for the TIC usage, it is another tool in the box and it is only as good as it's user! Some people train constantly with theirs, even during incidents (Chris192). On a number of occasions I have heard him request info on what he is looking at so that he can better himself. Instead of just putting it off cause it isn't what is being sought, even if it is the urine from a YPD k9! LOL

I just used by TIC and still can't understand the "99" comment. Another reason to use plain english in all communications!!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing with the "99" comment. Just beat me to asking!

99 is local code for an EDP...or for you MYF, a 14-Bannana, 14-Bean, or even a 14-Bostwick (old skool)

Similar to looking for an ejected person with a TIC....however "99's" are known to move faster.

99 is local code for an EDP...or for you MYF, a 14-Bannana, 14-Bean, or even a 14-Bostwick (old skool)

Similar to looking for an ejected person with a TIC....however "99's" are known to move faster.

Oh ok, thanks. The only "99" I know of is a Code 99 here at Saints, and didn't think there was any relation.