Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Old Centennial Hose Firehouse Collapse

40 posts in this topic

We may not all have valued that building. BUT we need to appreciate the importance that it had to members of Centennial Hose and the heartfelt effort that some put forward in trying to save it. That should be acknowledged and given due respect... Sorry for your loss Dock Rats.

:(

Edited by JimmyPFD

Lot of memories in that building from when I was a kid and my dad was a member there. B) Hopefully the Centennial signage with the shamrocks are found intact or restorable and, as others have suggested reuse of the bricks in some other fashion. Thank god nobody got hurt.

is it true that they have a security guard posted 24-7 at the site because its historic/under investigation/unsound?

Been down to the site a couple times in the last few days, (while stopping at Dains to get Lumber) haven't seen anyone standing guard.

Edited by DonMoose

I have been there a couple times and no guard, also I have received reports of folks going thru the orange protective fencing and removing items from the debris. Hope no one gets hurt.

7586 Yes, they do have a Security posted at the Old Centennial Hose Firehouse site.

Not sure about 24/7 but I do know for a fact they have one.

Also Peekskill PD is making frequent checks of the site heard over the radio several times.

As PFD165 mentioned the people who are crossing the orange fencing to take items are NOT

very smart. The exterior camera at Dains is pointed directly at the old Firehouse.

RocklandFires,

Thanks for sharing that information about it making CNN national news.

I've held back on making comments about this until now.

Many of you poked fun at this incident, even a refrence to people "clapping" when it collapsed?

I have just one question, was that before or after it was reported that people may be trapped under it

in the inital dispatch of the old firehouse collapse? Anyway....

You can make jokes about it and even the old favorite "tax payer dollars" were

being wasted but to me that Firehouse meant something a lot deeper than just

a building. It was a peice of history, 118 years old, a historial landmark to be exact!

Lets never forget that on August 1, 1918 two members of Centennial Hose were killed

in the line of duty by a Building Collapse at the Fleischmann fire.

FF John Torpy and FF Walter Cole never returned to the Firehouse that day.

I am sure that Firehouse meant something to them and the family members of both

Firefighters. We lost seven Firefighters that day in Peekskill.

So yes, that Firehouse meant something to me as a member and I am sure it does

to ALL members of Centennial Hose past and present.

VERY SAD LOSS!

Respectfully,

Robert W. Casasanta

Past President

Centennial Hose Co. # 4

Let me start off by saying that I am an associate member of Centennial Hose Co. No. 4, so I'm not to be thought as "throwing stones."

As far as I know, the "clapping" was done after it was confirmed that there were no injuries/entrapment. I know this because I know of two people who were down there when it came down and actually probably saved the foreman's life by telling him to run at the first sign of trouble and checking to make sure he was ok after the collapse. I dont believe that the intentions by any were to poke fun at the incident itself, but rather the inevitable that many said was going to happen. After being reassured that it wouldn't.

Myself personally, I would like to know what the vested interest is in this building was all of a sudden in the past two years or so after sitting vacant, forgotten for decades. From what I have been told by a number of senior members, that 30 years ago when the company moved to Washington st. that the City of Peekskill offered the building to the company for $1.00 and the membership said "no thanks." Is it a great historic loss, yes. Would it have been great to preserve it and make it a museum, yes. I know a person who wanted to be a tour guide when he retired from his current job. However I just think it was too little too late with this one, it should've been thought about 10, 15, 20 years ago....and not by the historic preservation committee, by company members.

I also don't think that anyone mentioned the August 1st, 1918 LODD's of the 2 members of Centennials in any disrepectful manner. I know I have the utmost respect and honor for the Fleischmanns 7.

Kevin R. Ferris

1st Lieutenant

City of Peekskill FD

Let me start off by saying that I am an associate member of Centennial Hose Co. No. 4, so I'm not to be thought as "throwing stones."

As far as I know, the "clapping" was done after it was confirmed that there were no injuries/entrapment. I know this because I know of two people who were down there when it came down and actually probably saved the foreman's life by telling him to run at the first sign of trouble and checking to make sure he was ok after the collapse. I dont believe that the intentions by any were to poke fun at the incident itself, but rather the inevitable that many said was going to happen. After being reassured that it wouldn't.

Myself personally, I would like to know what the vested interest is in this building was all of a sudden in the past two years or so after sitting vacant, forgotten for decades. From what I have been told by a number of senior members, that 30 years ago when the company moved to Washington st. that the City of Peekskill offered the building to the company for $1.00 and the membership said "no thanks." Is it a great historic loss, yes. Would it have been great to preserve it and make it a museum, yes. I know a person who wanted to be a tour guide when he retired from his current job. However I just think it was too little too late with this one, it should've been thought about 10, 15, 20 years ago....and not by the historic preservation committee, by company members.

I also don't think that anyone mentioned the August 1st, 1918 LODD's of the 2 members of Centennials in any disrepectful manner. I know I have the utmost respect and honor for the Fleischmanns 7.

Kevin R. Ferris

1st Lieutenant

City of Peekskill FD

Careful, you don't want to be labeled anti-volunteer for thinking rationally. (I made the same post as you, almost verbatim.)

All you members of this HISTORICAL HOUSE that are the ones making a big deal should be the ones keeping an eye on the pile of bricks down there. Im sure the Police have a lot more important things to do like stopping crime! Just ask the city to hire ANOTHER contractor to fence it off then get the loader and some trucks and haul the pile out to a land fill!

What a shame. I always loved that old row of buildings down there, and thought it was a sin the Peekskill didn't try to do something with them before they crumbled.

My sympathy goes out to the members past and present. I hope you can use some of the bricks in your new station even if its a walkway so this house can always live on!!!