Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Paging systems continue to "steal" info!

19 posts in this topic

On an odd note, I just put a Structure Fire incident in Westchester County that occurred at 0400 today (8/21/08).

Apparently some moron paged it out and The Journal News just called for directions to the working FIRE!

Of course I didn't oblige, my mistake!!!! I told them to pay more attention to the scanner and stop calling here!!!

So to whomever you are, you are a MORON!

With all due respect, Maybe I'm missing the significance of all these "whacker" pager organizations "stealing" info off this site but it all seems childish to me..... Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it seems to me..... If you really look at it, we are all "stealing" info from the FCC licensed radio channels of the public safety systems we are monitoring and posting it, paging it, or what ever...... In the old days I thought the FCC wording was something to the effect that you are not allowed to divulge info heard while scanning...... Highly unenforceable but I think that was the law years ago..... Not sure what it is now..... The bottom line is I don't care if they rebroadcast info and I'm not sure why anybody else does.... What's the big deal????????

With all due respect, Maybe I'm missing the significance of all these "whacker" pager organizations "stealing" info off this site but it all seems childish to me..... Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it seems to me..... If you really look at it, we are all "stealing" info from the FCC licensed radio channels of the public safety systems we are monitoring and posting it, paging it, or what ever...... In the old days I thought the FCC wording was something to the effect that you are not allowed to divulge info heard while scanning...... Highly unenforceable but I think that was the law years ago..... Not sure what it is now..... The bottom line is I don't care if they rebroadcast info and I'm not sure why anybody else does.... What's the big deal????????

I guess you should go back and read all the posts on this subject and then rules of these free forums and educate yourself.

I guess you should go back and read all the posts on this subject and then rules of these free forums and educate yourself.

Now that's a productive response......

Maybe it has something to do with profiting off the site JMO????

Bob hit the point on the head. Someone is making money by paging the press as to incidents. This was obviously what occurred here as there was no scanner activity that they could possibly be talking about because the job was 12 hours old. Instead, they processed the info without reading and without consent and transmitted it. And I the writer got the call from The Journal News, which is ironic in itself. I just find it simply unbelievable and rather annoying. I do not post incidents on here for the news to follow, however for my peers to be aware of and possibly learn from. Now, they can cut me my check...lol!

Edited by Oswegowind

Uh oh...We're not allowed to disagree with those EMTBravo 'sting operations' :blink: . I tried

Topic Link

(Agreed 100% extremely childish)

Edited by moosecfd368
Fixed his topic link for him

Not for nothing but I also find it rather ridiculous. I was biting my tongue but I guess it comes to a point that eventually you feel you should chime in.

Perhaps just maybe, someone sitting around in such facilities and doing such things thought they missed something on a scanner, there is only hundreds if not thousands of frequencies to scan and look at this site themselves to find information to assist them with their job.

If its really that much of a big deal..then get rid of the incident alerts and we'll keep it to posting information and such. Or make that a paid section and make money for the site and then they will have to pay you to get information they get paid to distribute as well. I'm mean really. If anything please stop allow people to post law enforcment information also that 9 times out of 10 ends up being nothing or is incomplete or inaccurate information as well. So no I won't read through that gripe, piss and moan thread again and I don't think I need to educate myself either.

If anything please stop allow people to post law enforcment information also that 9 times out of 10 ends up being nothing or is incomplete or inaccurate information as well. So no I won't read through that gripe, piss and moan thread again and I don't think I need to educate myself either.

Or we could just have an "Incident Alert - Yonkers Stabbings and Shootings", since we seem to have more of those than anything else these days... what is going on over there anyway?!

It's ridiculous over here! But it only happens on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Fridays. Rest of week is like a Sunday! JINX!

I agree that this ridiculous.

The paging companies are not violating any copyright laws or ethics. Would it be wrong of a radio station broadcast a weather forecast they read from weather.com? If you write a book and use some information from Wikipedia, is it wrong to charge to buy the book if the information is supposed to be free on Wikipedia?

The people using these paging services should have done their research and found this site. Sucks for them that they are getting ripped off. If you don't like others using your IA for profit, don't post it here. Welcome to the internet.

Edited by OoO

I agree that this ridiculous.

The paging companies are not violating any copyright laws or ethics. Would it be wrong of a radio station broadcast a weather forecast they read from weather.com? If you write a book and use some information from Wikipedia, is it wrong to charge to buy the book if the information is supposed to be free on Wikipedia?

The people using these paging services should have done their research and found this site. Sucks for them that they are getting ripped off. If you don't like others using your IA for profit, don't post it here. Welcome to the internet.

Well, The radio stations almost always say where they got their weather report from, ie: "This weather report is courtesy of weather.com" at the beginning or end of the broadcast. Maybe if they at least gave us some credit, then it would help a bit?? I don't think charging is right or feasable, but at the very least, give credit where credit is due!

If its really that much of a big deal..then get rid of the incident alerts and we'll keep it to posting information and such. Or make that a paid section and make money for the site and then they will have to pay you to get information they get paid to distribute as well.

This is actually a great idea. Has anyone figured out what the benefit of a paid subscription is yet? I think having the IA is a great Paid perk. You get paid for giving access and they are gonna give it away to someone else. I think we all know that this is going no where fast and for some of us, we just glance quick at the AI before going into the forums. i know you want to run the sting operation but really it is not gonna stop these guys. (or girls) If nothing else you can copyright the paid info since you have to pay a fee to see it then hit them with copyright infringement and that might pay for the site, which is great.

This is actually a great idea. Has anyone figured out what the benefit of a paid subscription is yet? I think having the IA is a great Paid perk. You get paid for giving access and they are gonna give it away to someone else. I think we all know that this is going no where fast and for some of us, we just glance quick at the AI before going into the forums. i know you want to run the sting operation but really it is not gonna stop these guys. (or girls) If nothing else you can copyright the paid info since you have to pay a fee to see it then hit them with copyright infringement and that might pay for the site, which is great.

Sending a message of an incident's description and location is not a copyright violation, (regardless of weather it is available for free or a fee), provided the page isn't copied word for word from the IA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

... provided the page isn't copied word for word from the IA.

Herein lies the problem...."they" have been rebroadcasting our IA's word-for-word, even down to non-existent street addresses.

The copyright notice on the top of our IA pages is quite clear.

Seth has said time and again, we do not want to drive our own members away by making the Incident Alerts a paid/subscription feature, being as it is one of the most popular attractions of the site.

Herein lies the problem...."they" have been rebroadcasting our IA's word-for-word, even down to non-existent street addresses.

The copyright notice on the top of our IA pages is quite clear.

Seth has said time and again, we do not want to drive our own members away by making the Incident Alerts a paid/subscription feature, being as it is one of the most popular attractions of the site.

Then why not call it quits with the useless 'sting operations', and threads bashing them? It's obviously NOT stopping them. They're still going to do it regardless, and I think at this point the only reason they continue to 'steal/copy' etc. is because it gets a rise out of some people. It's like dealing with third grade bullies, they do it because they get recognition in the form of these threads, and see how many are complaining about it.

Edited by DonMoose

Then why not call it quits with the useless 'sting operations'? It's obviously NOT working. They're still going to do it regardless, and I think at this point the only reason they continue to 'steal/copy' etc. is because it gets a rise out of some people. It's like dealing with third grade bullies, they do it because they get recognition in the form of these threads, and see how many are complaining about it.

Re-read the first post. It was not a "sting operation."

Re-read the first post. It was not a "sting operation."

Read the BNN thread that I linked to in my first post. Thanks for your concern. Edited my post so that all doubt is cleared up.

Edited by DonMoose

Then why not call it quits with the useless 'sting operations', and threads bashing them? It's obviously NOT stopping them. They're still going to do it regardless, and I think at this point the only reason they continue to 'steal/copy' etc. is because it gets a rise out of some people. It's like dealing with third grade bullies, they do it because they get recognition in the form of these threads, and see how many are complaining about it.

Amen to that !