Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mahopacfire2003

9/11 becoming National Firefighters Day?

15 posts in this topic

So i am reading my e-mail and as i'm deleting all the junk and reading some things from my friends i come upon a bery interesting e-mail. My friend e-mails me this petition and an explanation of what it is about. After reading this petition from a 14 year old kid i was very impressed and he brings up a very good point. So i think to myself.....we have all these days where we remember presidents and civil rights activist, why don;t we have a day where all these men and women who protect and serve be remembers and not just remembering the day when the towers fell. I have posted the e-mail below and leave it up to everyone to either finish this petition or start a new one under EMT Bravo.

This is an excellent idea......and to have come from a teenager....just think!!!!!!!! An idea from the son of a 9/11 firefighter... so before you delete this, just remember that this is a 14 year-old boy who lost his father on September 11th. All you're asked to do is forward type, point and click. He's got a really great idea. Thanks!

Hello,

I lost my Dad on September 11th; he was Chief Edward Geraghty, Battalion 9, New York City Fire Department. He lost his life with many other heroes that day, victims of the terrorists. Firefighters from all over have come to th e aid and rescue of the tragedy in New York and Washington , D.C.

Many firefighters lost their lives to save someone else's. The truth of the matter is , they do this every single day. They truly are heroes. I know many people feel helpless, especially those who live far from NYC and D.C. We all want to do something to show our appreciation, our support! I think we can... In honor of the bravery, courage and determination of American firefighters, there should be a day in our nation to celebrate and appreciate their hard-work and never-ending passion for saving lives. I think we should honor all those other heroes who still live today.

I'm starting a petition for a National Firefighters Day. Will you help make every September 11th 'National Firefighters Day'?

Please join me!

Thank you,

Connor Geraghty, age 14,

Rockville Centre , New York

(I Love U, DAD!!)

PS: When this list reaches 500 names, please send it back to me at ceg8587@aol.com

Instructions: To add your name, click forward, add your name at the bottom of the list. Send it to all you know. OR...COPY AND PASTE INTO A NEW MAIL...ADD YOUR NAME.

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Removed list of signed names, created excess scrolling

Im glad you brought this up. I received something similar to this a few years ago and signed it myself, yet I am not on there. Are there multiple lists going around? This is a good idea, but Im not sure if we should continue this or start a EMTBravo one. Whats everyones thoughts?

This site goes over some of the history of this email and how it started.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/firemen.asp

Last September the US senate did do a National First Responder Appreciation day, but it not a yearly holiday.

http://allard.senate.gov/_files/AllardFirs...lution_2007.pdf

What is preventing this from happening is all of us, for a holiday to happen all of us in the region and nation wide need to voice this to our elected representatives and let them know we want this.

i think it's a great idea, but if it means a day off and "super duper blow out sales" at department stores i'll be skeptical

I don't think it should be 'national firefighters day.' Many other men and women died that day doing their jobs. IMO I think it should be just a national holiday.

I respect the young lads idea as well, however I also do not feel that it is warranted. There are many other significant dates and groups that deserve the same. Why not a police officers day? Or a holiday on December 7th when we had the first significant attack on our nation. Good concept...and Don Moose makes a great point, there were many others that died that day from all walks of life. I remind many...no one held a gun to our head to make us do what we choose to do. We are not special, we are not heroes. I am a professional.

I have seen this come up periodically also, and the real problem with internet petitions is that once it goes to more than one person there are several similar petitions floating around cyberspace with no real goal in mind, they usually don't say that they need to be delivered to a certail person on a certain date, so these e-mails run around for years with no results.

That being said, and I will probably get lynched for this, I am against this idea for several reasons.

First while the largest group of responders murdered on 9/11/2001 were firefighters, there were police officers, EMT, even Court Officers. To name the day after one group would be to belittle the others. While we are more aware of the 343 (or 345 if you signed that internet petition), I would bet that the Cantor Fitzgerald Co is much more aware of the almost 700 emplyees they lost. This was and still should be a national day of mourning, but I think the best tribute I have ever seen was at the end of a Charlie Daniels video where it says "Dedicated to the memory of the people who did nothing more than go to work on a Tuesday morning". That applies to every one of the victims of this cowardly terrorist act.

Second, to create a day that honors all Firefighters on this one day does two things to minimize the very loss we would like to remember. First it forgets the Firefighters who made the ultimate sacrifice on other days (such as the Worchester 6 or the Vendome 9, or 6 at Walbaums or 12 at Madison Square), or rolls their tragic losses into this one. By doing that, it minimizes those lost on 9/11/2001, by combining them with others who while they paid the price, did not die at the hands of such unthinkable criminal acts. There is a reason that Memorial Day in not the same as Pearl Harbor Day.

Third, In this country we have Fire Prevention Wekk when we do because of The Great Chicago Fire. This is not an important fire outside of the United States. There was / is a movement to have an International Fire Fighters day, and while many wanted it in early October, this is the reason that it is being put forth for May 5, whcih is also Saint Florian's Feast Day. Because this means something to a larger number of Firefighters.

Rant over. Please do not take this as anything against the good intentions of a son who lost his father. I am deeply sorry for his loss as I am for all the families of our lost brothers. I do think we could come up with a better tribute than this however.

Excellent post, Alan & ALS. Thank you.

I think ALS and BFD make great points. A National (or International) Firefighters Day? I don't need it, I don't want it - paid or unpaid, we are (or should strive to be) all professionals, just doing our jobs - but I wouldn't be actively opposed to it.

But having it on Sept. 11th? That's just bad and wrong, and shows great disrespect (IMHO) to all the other professionals (and indeed civilians) who made the ultimate sacrifice whilst helping others on that day.

Mike

Gang,

When I try sending a email to that address it bounces back which urban legends says has been going on since 2002.

ALS and BFD, great and well thoughtout posts. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Duane

It's a nice sentiment, but like other have said, I feel its totally inappropriate. With respect to firefighters, many other people, from civil services and regular civilans acted with bravery and compassion on that day. I believe the best course of action is to leave the 11th as a national day of rememberence, as a tribute to all, not just some.

**MOD Note**

Deleted list of names from 1 to 476. Excessive scrolling unnecessary

477. Danielle Whitmarsh , NY

478. Christopher Langley Volunteer Firefighter/EMT Mahopac, New York

479. Jose Corsino, Katonah Fire Dept./ Bedford Hills,NY

480. Catherine Corsino/ Bedford Hills,NY

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Deleted listing of names, created excess scrolling

I agree with it being a National Holiday, not just for firefighters. Let's remember ALL that died or that were injured. Matter of fact, I don't like having holiday to it. Maybe a Day of Rememberence.

Edited by tunaFish

I don't think holiday is the right word that should be used ine reference to what happened on 9/11/2001. Pearl Harbor is not a "National Holiday," it is still recognized. I think in our hearts and in our minds is where 9/11 should be. To make it a "National Firefighter's Day" would take away from the memory of the thousands of civilians who perished, or the police officers who died that day. A National Firefighter Day should be declared on a day in history where no Firefighters have died. Hopefully it will remain that way for year to come