Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

2008 FALL College Semester

15 posts in this topic

Just wanted to pass along a good luck wish to all of you this semester and the rest of the collegiate academic year!

On a side note it was nice to see a few of you today at Westchester Community College today while I was there to pick up by books! Godwilling in 2 years I'll have my B.A. in Fire Service Management from Colorado State University and on to my Masters in Education.

Good luck to you guys, books killed me my first semester. But, now I've come to love the used versions. Criminal Justice / Paramedic EMS doesn't come cheap.

Good luck to everyone. Try Half.com or amazon for your books. Most of the time you can get away with the version prior to save a little as well. Just interested what is everyone studying? ALS does the fire service management degree require the extensive science study as a fire science does? Im guessing its more business oriented? I am in my last year of my BS in Business Administration.

As a former college student and graduate of Albertus Magnus College in New Haven, good luck to all this year. Stay focus and learn how to use your time wisely to keep up on your studies. Books are so darn expensive now and I know how they can add up, especially since I was a history major / Poly Sci minor. Good Luck to all!

GOOD LUCK to you all I know myself it is the first day and I can't wait for it to be over. I had split my time from this year with 2 online classes and 3 in classroom. Hope it all turns out well. Hoping to see how the Compartive EMS System goes. It sounds like a really good course. But To Everyone GOOD LUCK and STUDY HARD!!!. Hey

T- MAC maybe we will be class together and become STUDY BUDDIES!!!!! lol

A great way to save money on books is to buy used copies directly from people who took the class last year/semester (and then you can sell the book to next year's students when you're finished with it). Maybe something could be coordinated through the Buy/Sell/Trade section?

I spent over 400 dollars on books this semester.....which is nothing compared to my first semester of college where I spent over 700 dollars on books!

I have spent about $600 on books so far and I still need two more, I just thank good that they are not textbooks. My Chemistry and Biology books were $450 for this semester alone.

Just wanted to pass along a good luck wish to all of you this semester and the rest of the collegiate academic year!

On a side note it was nice to see a few of you today at Westchester Community College today while I was there to pick up by books! Godwilling in 2 years I'll have my B.A. in Fire Service Management from Colorado State University and on to my Masters in Education.

Masters in education? I am saving my apple for you...LOL

Books are overrated... lol.

Starting my 3rd year at Quinnipiac in Hamden, CT. Good luck ladies and gents. Have a fun and safe semester.

ALS does the fire service management degree require the extensive science study as a fire science does? Im guessing its more business oriented? I am in my last year of my BS in Business Administration.

It has a science requirement within in the core requirements, but it doesn't seem that heavy. The pain in the a** for me is CSU doesn't accept my A & P I and II as meeting the requirement. If you google "Fire Emergency Services Administration" Degree Colorado States link to it should come up. I apologize but I just don't have the time to list the link right now.

Hoping to see how the Compartive EMS System goes. It sounds like a really good course. But To Everyone GOOD LUCK and STUDY HARD!!!. Hey

T- MAC maybe we will be class together and become STUDY BUDDIES!!!!! lol

Comparative EMS Systems is a pretty decent course and gets into depth the birth, growth and some financial aspects of EMS and the different systems out there.

As far as being in class together, chances are slim. I'll be finished with my associates next semester and other then 1 science course I am doing all my core requirements for CSU online through Westchester. Besides I'm not much for studying, I retain pretty much everything I read, which is good and bad! lol.

One word of advice for all you young bucks out there that are in or are looking at going to college and looking at service type degrees...ie, fire science, criminal justice, etc. They're great, they're interesting and keep you into what I'm sure you like doing, but...they will not help you for the most part unless you are within those occupations and in some departments for promotion. Get a degree in something that will allow you to do something, have a career in something while your sitting on a list, and if you get hired, you can use that to have added income. It does you no good to have a fire science degree or criminal justice degree while on a list or in the event you can't get hired and you have to work a low end job. Any college experience looks good, will assist you in your career even later.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Started my Paramedic 1&2 and pharmacology yesterday its looking like a $600 book bill...I'm excited(sarcasm)...I thought I was done with this a couple years ago when I got my bachelor's

Edited by 131PFD

Books are overrated... lol.

Starting my 3rd year at Quinnipiac in Hamden, CT. Good luck ladies and gents. Have a fun and safe semester.

a nice party school, huh? lol

for those of you that 100% intend to go into the field of which you're being educated in, i recommend you keep your text books as references in the future. It does pay off.

If you must, go ahead and sell your $200 text for $25 at the end of the term!

Also for textbooks check out bookfinder.com they compare prices from a bunch of online sites. I saved a lot of money through them.

Thanks for the good luck wish ALS. Books came to just over $500 for me this year. Starting my Sophomore year at the University of New Haven for Fire Science-Administration with a minor in Criminal Justice. Good luck to all the others.