Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LT. 22

Getting to know Kentland 33 (PGC)

46 posts in this topic

Weaselff, absolutely hysterical brother & Jflynn Im picturing that guy with the T-shirts & pagers right now.

I think the real problem is alot of so called Careeer Guys on this Board don't like hearing a Volunteer Dept. is showing them up when it comes down to JOBS and the dedication and professsionalism that goes into suppressing them.

I think the real problem is alot of so called Careeer Guys on this Board don't like hearing a Volunteer Dept. is showing them up when it comes down to JOBS and the dedication and professsionalism that goes into suppressing them.

Ok like I didn't praise numerous local volunteer and combo FD's in previous pages including Central Islip, Brentwood, Spring Valley, Peekskill and Lake Mohegan that are all extremely busy and get the job done? The members of these departments show up alot of career departments when it comes down to JOBS and the dedication and professionalism that goes into supressing them. They also are "doin it" with actual community residents and not a dorm full of buffs(not the cool kind). They also dont need ride alongs, a cheesy internet documentary, and clownish T-shirts for sale on their web site, all in an effort to stroke their egos.

Now I'm really putting this thread to rest, good night and safe tours gentlemen.

Ok like I didn't praise numerous local volunteer and combo FD's in previous pages including Central Islip, Brentwood, Spring Valley, Peekskill and Lake Mohegan that are all extremely busy and get the job done? The members of these departments show up alot of career departments when it comes down to JOBS and the dedication and professionalism that goes into supressing them. They also are "doin it" with actual community residents and not a dorm full of buffs(not the cool kind). They also dont need ride alongs, a cheesy internet documentary, and clownish T-shirts for sale on their web site, all in an effort to stroke their egos.

Now I'm really putting this thread to rest, good night and safe tours gentlemen.

And your point is?

Edited by FirNaTine

Wait, I don't quite understand what makes a college student that lives at a firehouse a "bad buff." The firehouse gets manpower, the students get free housing and firefighting experience... who loses here? I'm not understanding why people have to bash, or why the moderators haven't locked this thread or deleted the inappropriate/accusatory comments.

They just forgot to mention that EMS is a majority of what they do.

Isn't that what is a majority of what

FDNR does, besides responding on m/a to FDMV?

Edited by FirNaTine

I too have been following this thread in silence, and can understand the opinions of some regarding Kentland.

I have been there..and yes I've done a few ride-alongs, as I've done with a number of other FDs in my time. I can only speak for myself, but my time spent "riding" has always been used to observe, learn and on rare occasions participate. Busy departments are just that busy, and there is knowledge to be gained from the time spent with more experienced FFs. If that makes me a "stem-whacker" so be it. But those who have shown me the respect and open-ness to share their knowledge and experiences with me never made me feel that way, and have helped me to become a better FF in the process. We are not all running 1000s of calls a year and many don't have the opportunity to see what many FFs from larger busier departments see on a regular basis. Ride-alongs with those busier departments have given me the opportunity to learn from those who do, and to apply that knowledge gained on the infrequent occasions when they arise in my areas.

It is true that Kentland does mostly B & B fires, but in doing so regularly they have developed some tactics that are applicable elsewhere. The fact that they are a volunteer outfit, albeit well served by off duty career FFs, is to some also a draw. I myself as some on here know, have suggested adopting a similar staffing program to "fill out" a volunteer system currently undergoing some difficulty.

In my experiences with the KVFD, as with every other one, I was treated well, respected and enjoyed the time spent there. I have never had a negative experience with any ride along I've taken part in and I've always come away with something useful on the fireground. This is a credit to those FFs and Officers who, over the years, allowed me to share their firehouses and shared their knowledge with me in NYC, Boston, Houston, Kentland, Richmond, LA, San Fran, Baltimore, Philly and Chicago.

Cogs

ps As big of a stem-whacker as I may be, I don't parade around in FD shirts, hats, ect that I haven't earned. To me, those who do are an embarrasment to themselves and the departments they are advertising.

Edited by FFPCogs

I am sure Kentland is a good department that has a handful of idiots that make them look bad such as those who feel the need to "bake" thier helmets which is no different than those who never get inside to work in a fire yet thier faces always seem to end up with soot . I won't pass judgement on them as I never rode with them ( sorry..I don't do ride alongs) and can only make assumptions based on what I have heard and read. They seem fairly busy and if they are handling thier calls than more power to them.

My original IFSTA Essentials book said that the primary goal of the fire service is to prevent and protect the community from fire.

Maybe that primary goal has been modified since you read the original IFSTA Essentials book?

Edited by gamewell45

Isn't that what is a majority of what

FDNR does, besides responding on m/a to FDMV?

Yes it is a majority of what we do, but we have never tried to hide that fact to try to "impress" anyone. And its NRFD not FDNR (we dont need to imitate NYC) thanks

Maybe that primary goal has been modified since you read the original IFSTA Essentials book?

Maybe it has, but preventing fire and protecting the community is no longer the primary goal?

I know that for some the primary goal is to spend more $$$$ than all other FD's, run RLS and try to prove how wonderful they are. But I dont think those are the goals of the fire service and if they are, its time to change.

And its NRFD not FDNR (we dont need to imitate NYC) thanks

Yeah I hear ya Barry. I also can't stand those Depts. that try to emulate FDNY. Be your own man dam it!

Edited by FirNaTine

(we dont need to imitate NYC) thanks

I too agree with a slight variation.

Letters on turnouts, paint jobs on rigs, hats, tee shirts, and all the other useless BS...NO

Tactic used, lessons learned and equipment developed...YES

Cogs

I too agree with a slight variation.

Letters on turnouts, paint jobs on rigs, hats, tee shirts, and all the other useless BS...NO

Tactic used, lessons learned and equipment developed...YES

Cogs

Wait, are you positing the notion that the FDNY has a monopoly on lettered turnout gear and rig murals, and that nobody has the right to customize their stuff? Or are you saying people shouldnt rip off their murals and put FDXX on the back of their gear?

Stop the rip-offs. Paint your rigs with all the murals, decals, gold leaf and any other "artwork"you want, but make it yours. Customizing "stuff" is not simply ripping off the FDNY, it actually involves using unique "custom" designs. The only time I can see FDNY style being used is when it is in honor of them and is so noted or with their specfic permission.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Cogs

BTW, on my first tour in Iraq, I "designed" a uniform patch for my base which was basically the FDNY patch with the NYC skyline replaced with a skyline of pyramids and mosques and using slightly metallic darker colors. This patch was purposely designed as such to honor the 343 lost on 9/11. In addition I asked permission to do so, and donated ALL of the net proceeds (about $2500) from the sale/distribution of the patch to the Intrepid Fallen Hereos fund...a charity that helps families of KIA and WIA armed forces personnel. I chose this charity because (no offense to any FDNY FFs) the 9/11 funds already had millions and I felt since I was supporting the military in person, and many soldiers bought patches, it was best to help the families of the fallen soldiers et al. And let's face it military families need all the help they can get.

Sorry to get off track..point is I followed my own "rule" stated above.

Edited by FFPCogs

We're drifting away from the original topic, and it appears the discussion over Kentland has run it's productive course.