Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What Happened To Horton?

10 posts in this topic

Before I begin, I know the Hudson Valley doesn't have a strong Horton dealer.

It seems at one time, that Horton was being used by many agencies in the Hudson Valley. Then, it was PL Custom, and now Lifeline (which I hope becomes the predominant brand)

Many agencies buy Seagrave because they have been proven in numerous urban areas, especially FDNY. But FDNY uses Hortons, which are not cheap either, and I'm suprised most agencies don't follow that.

When I was with Millbrook Rescue, we always had Hortons...ldont know if they still do...I think they came from Mount Vernon?

New Fairfield uses a Horton, they are heavy boxes, and our previous one had ALOT of electrical problems. Having driven them, I can't say I'm impressed.

Darien post 53 uses them..there holding up okay

Chester Ambulance

(Orange County, NY)

Has 2 Horton/International

post-3-1221720718.jpg

I think they came from Mount Vernon?

I know there used to be a dealer on Columbus....right down the street from the firehouse on the opposite side. Always could find a variety of Hortons waiting to be delivered or repaired.

I wonder who the NYC area sales rep is......if they are delivering hundreds of ambulances to NYC, I guess their isn't a reason to work hard to push it anywhere else in the area.

I've always heard that Hortons have electrical problems, but then again, I really haven't heard of any brands that didn't.

I think the bigger problem is that fords are electrical nightmares. They fixed much of Jaguars problems, but can't get their crap together.

they switched to horton here in englewood cliffs after a few wheeled coachs they used VCI out of south jersey Horton been making lot's of sales here in bergen county

Both of the agencies I work for in Central PA run Hortons. One of the agencies runs Hortons built on Ford Chassis, and the only problems that we have encountered have been Ford issues. The other runs a single Horton built on a Chevy commerical chassis and we have had zero problems with it what so ever. The powers that be at that agency are looking at advancing the replacement for the other two ambulances (both Ford/Wheeled Coaches) due to increasing reliability issues.