Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zinger57

Why all the apparatus on the GSP on 9/13?

21 posts in this topic

Anyone know what was going on in Central Jersey last Saturday? I was on the Garden State Parkway and saw several trucks cruising northbound, maybe a show or parade or something...and I'm talking about 20+ including New FDNY Engine 88 with the new cab style...very sharp in person. Just wondering.

billfitz is correct!

The NJ State Firemen's Parade is a four and a half hour - two mile long parade starting in Wildwood Crest and ending in North Wildwood. Over 300 pieces of Apparatus from over 4 states compete for prizes.

http://www.njfireconvention.com/

Yes, the Parade down in Wildwood, NJ was on

Saturday, September 13th

"The NJ State Firemen's Parade is a four and a half hour - two mile long parade starting in Wildwood Crest and ending in North Wildwood. Over 300 pieces of Apparatus from over 4 states compete for prizes."

300 x $500,000 (average, equipped) = $150 MILLION Dollars worth of equipment, that by being in wildwood their depts prove is not needed to protect the taxpayers who paid for them. No wonder the northeast is taxing itself right out of existance.

300 x $500,000 (average, equipped) = $150 MILLION Dollars worth of equipment, that by being in wildwood their depts prove is not needed to protect the taxpayers who paid for them. No wonder the northeast is taxing itself right out of existance.

In addition to the manpower that was sent with them. I wonder if the municipalities with Career Depts. covered those sent with the rigs with O.T., and if those with Volunteer Depts. had enough members stay behind with reserve rigs. Let's start worrying about protecting our own turf and not who's got the biggest, cleanest and the most shiny rig.

In addition to the manpower that was sent with them. I wonder if the municipalities with Career Depts. covered those sent with the rigs with O.T. on their Spares and if those with Volunteer Depts. had enough members stay behind with their reserve rigs. Let's start worrying about protecting our own turf and not who's got the biggest, cleanest and the most shiny rig.

Edited by FirNaTine

Anyone know what was going on in Central Jersey last Saturday? I was on the Garden State Parkway and saw several trucks cruising northbound, maybe a show or parade or something...and I'm talking about 20+ including New FDNY Engine 88 with the new cab style...very sharp in person. Just wondering.

Can anyone confirm that FDNY 88 Engine was in Wildwood? I'd find it hard to believe the city would send a rig 100+ miles to a volly convention in Jersey. I think maybe it was a vol. dept. that "coincidentally" has a similar paint scheme to FDNY, and also runs an 88 engine.

F.D.N.Y

Engine Co. 88

2008 Seagrave Marauder II

1500/500

Photo at Wildwood NJ 2008

Photo by: Rescue29Engine23

This is not the first time a FDNY unit has been at wildwood prior to the delivery of the unit to the city. Most of the time the dealer / builder has been granted the ok to show the apparatus at trade shows.

As well when Yonkers got the older ALF rescue it was showed at wildwood.

post-1209-1221844458.jpg

Yup. Pics were posted on Firepics. No equipment on it, so its likely borrowed by the dealer.

I agree with you guys. Horrendous waste of money. I tell ya, if any piece from MY town was there and couldn't help cut my wife out of a car, or open my roof in a timely manner, they'd be painting MY name on the trucks shortly thereafter. Trucks that were paid for with MY tax dollars belong in MY town - or on mutual aid calls. Not at some waste of time like this.

You cannot tell me otherwise. You want pride in your trucks, wash 'em, hang out at your firehouse on the apron.

I wonder if any of the participants at this 4.5 hour parade are the same ones who complain about the duration of training and how much of an imposition it is to train for the job they are entrusted to perform?

Smacks of hypocrisy to me... Hours and hours cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc. then a 4+ hour drive to a 4.5 hour parade plus "festivities" and then a 4.5 hour return drive. Gee, imagine if they spent that much time TRAINING.

Interesting perspective Barry, what was Wildwood's ISO rating during this parade, a 1? :lol:

F.D.N.Y

Engine Co. 88

2008 Seagrave Marauder II

1500/500

Photo at Wildwood NJ 2008

Photo by: Rescue29Engine23

This is not the first time a FDNY unit has been at wildwood prior to the delivery of the unit to the city. Most of the time the dealer / builder has been granted the ok to show the apparatus at trade shows.

As well when Yonkers got the older ALF rescue it was showed at wildwood.

ok that makes sense, i just couldn't imagine the city authorizing that kind of other OT, unless it was the Vulcans for recruitment. Then again I dont think they have white boys from Jersey in mind for that :lol:

I wonder if any of the participants at this 4.5 hour parade are the same ones who complain about the duration of training and how much of an imposition it is to train for the job they are entrusted to perform?

Smacks of hypocrisy to me... Hours and hours cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc. then a 4+ hour drive to a 4.5 hour parade plus "festivities" and then a 4.5 hour return drive. Gee, imagine if they spent that much time TRAINING.

Interesting perspective Barry, what was Wildwood's ISO rating during this parade, a 1? :lol:

C'mon...polishing and waxing is hard work...besides we don't need no stinkin training ;)

All firefighters in NJ have the same training for career and volunteer. All must have FF 1 = 180 + hours, FF2 80+ hours, now they have added first responder or Basic emt. So in NJ training is not a problem we don't cry if we have to go to training we just go or we don't get to play with fire.

CP

Pretty sure the rig is a 2000gpm 500 gallon, not 1500 gpm rig. They are amazing to be in. I only hope that the new trucks get the same cab treatment.

Hours and hours cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc.

Wax on... wax off !!

All firefighters in NJ have the same training for career and volunteer. All must have FF 1 = 180 + hours, FF2 80+ hours, now they have added first responder or Basic emt. So in NJ training is not a problem we don't cry if we have to go to training we just go or we don't get to play with fire.

CP

Sorry to rain on your parade but the basic training is just that, basic. Just because career and volunteer have the same baseline training does not make everyone equal. If you needed brain surgery would you go to the doctor that does one brain operation a month or one that does one a week. Would you say a firefighter in a slow suburban station who gets one job every couple of months is as good a firefighter as one that gets a workers every couiple of days. I left one fire company because the membership would not pass minimum training standards for officers. I know plenty of companies that have to drag guys to do training.

Weasel, I was thinking the same thing about E-88, which is why I took a triple take when I saw it.

Weasel, I was thinking the same thing about E-88, which is why I took a triple take when I saw it.

Yeah CPAGE cleared it up. E-88 was brought to the convention by Seagrave, not by the job.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the basic training is just that, basic. Just because career and volunteer have the same baseline training does not make everyone equal. If you needed brain surgery would you go to the doctor that does one brain operation a month or one that does one a week. Would you say a firefighter in a slow suburban station who gets one job every couple of months is as good a firefighter as one that gets a workers every couple of days. I left one fire company because the membership would not pass minimum training standards for officers. I know plenty of companies that have to drag guys to do training.

Well in the dept that I'm with we must maintain the same standard that all paid dept's do. Yes we all take the same training class to start with and to be more frank some volley dept's do more training then some paid dept's in the Bergen Co. area. Here it is not a task it is a duty we all do and want to do to to make our selves and dept. better. As for officer training we go to the same classes as a paid officer. A side note most of the classes in NJ are done by volley instructors.

PS the word basic is for the EMT class not for the training standard.

CP

Since this thread seems to be going all over the place with anything touching the OP's topic, does anyone in the know know what the purpose of the two large intakes on/in the front bumper of the FDNY E88 are for? Would it be to meet the testing requirements for the 2000GPM certification?

Edited by SteveOFD

Since this thread seems to be going all over the place with anything touching the OP's topic, does anyone in the know know what the purpose of the two large intakes on/in the front bumper of the FDNY E88 are for? Would it be to meet the testing requirements for the 2000GPM certification?

-I believe 1 is an intake, and the other a discharge like on the previous 2000gpm pumpers.............