Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Rattlesnake hides in Paramedic's truck

9 posts in this topic

Rattlesnake hides in paramedic's truck

By Jane Lerner

The Journal News • September 25, 2008

NEW HEMPSTEAD - Tim McCarty didn't intend to give a hitchhiker a ride to work with him as he traveled from his Orange County home to his job as a paramedic in Rockland.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008809250497

Rattlesnakes can be found on Mt Beacon & Breakneck mountain ranges.

I never thought that either but one day I did a job where a guy got bit by one, I said are you sure it was a rattlesnake? He replied yes it's right here in the bag, I killed it. Then you should have seen the people in St Luke's (this was when pt's were just separated by curtains.) one guy had his pulse going up on the heart monitor.

Rattlesnakes can be found on Mt Beacon & Breakneck mountain ranges.

I never thought that either but one day I did a job where a guy got bit by one, I said are you sure it was a rattlesnake? He replied yes it's right here in the bag, I killed it. Then you should have seen the people in St Luke's (this was when pt's were just separated by curtains.) one guy had his pulse going up on the heart monitor.

I am fairly certain that they are a protected species... i'm not so sure i would have admitted killing it even though i can't imagine what else to do in a situation like that. As for Rattlesnakes in our area i was confronted with one on the front steps of the Harlem Valley Animal Clinic while picking up my dog about two years ago, quite an experience to say the least, we have many Rattlesnakes in this area.

As a kid my mother told me a story about my grandfather who was a Ranger on Mt Beacon back in the day when the cabins up there were used. He wanted chaps and a gun from the DEC and his boss told him no because there are no rattlers up there. Long story short he went to see his boss one day with a big paint can and when his boss opened it ,inside was a 6ft dead rattler that was killed that morning . He left with his chaps a gun and anything else he wanted. That snake was pickled and left in the office for years in New Paltz....... I doubt it's still there though

Edited by tdc202

Yes, the Eastern Mountain Rattler (the type we have around here) is an endangered species and protected. Killing them is indeed a crime, and short of self defense, should be avoided. Rattlesnakes are most dangerous when they are scared and protecting themselves and/or their nest/home. A nice tip to note: They can only strike about 1/2 -2/3 the length of their body. The longest I've heard of locally is 6 feet, so they can usually only strike out about 4 feet from themselves. Most poisonous snake bites are caused by people screwing with the snakes when they should just be left alone. If they are sitting somewhere that is preventing you for doing whatever, they can be moved with a long sturdy stick, preferably with a hook on the end. DO NOT be dumb and try to handle them by hand. Even some of the most experienced herpetologists I know WON'T handle them manually, they still use a hook and pole. Don't put them in a bag, since they sense heat they can tag you through the bag. Best to use an empty garbage can if you need to put them in anything.

Like the story said, the snake likely saught warmth in the engine compartment. Many other animals do the same thing. I've heard many stories about stowaway cats and other furries in car engines during the winter. But even mildly chilly nights can send a coldblooded reptile seeking warmth wherever they can find it. Thats why if you are ever camping, make sure you shake out you sleeping bag, boots, etc before getting in or putting them on. Never know what might have turned it into a den. ;)

BTW, while not NEARLY as common as the Copperhead, rattlers ARE found in areas of Westchester. Two most common places would be the Pound Ridge reservation and Camp Smith.

well that settles it i will never hike in the woods near camp smith ever again

Almost got bitten down in FL last summer by a Pigmy Rattler.... Very small snake with a rattle that sounds more like a grasshopper or cricket than what you'd expect.

There are tons of Eastern Diamondbacks here too... Very nasty.

Also on the eastern seaboard, although rare, you'll find the Timber Rattler. Usually not in the NYC metro, but they've showed from time to time.