Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Maryland State Police "Trooper 2" Medevac Crash LODD

20 posts in this topic

I have a frend who is a Firefighter/Paramedic down in PG County Maryland.

He just contacted me via Nextel to report that the MD State Police Chopper "Trooper 2"

has lost radio contact with the Control Tower about an our ago and they fear it may have gone down.

"Trooper 2" is one of the busiest Medevac's

they fly out of Andrews Air Force Base

Maryland State Police Aviation

"Trooper 2" Medevac

Andrews Air Force Base

Camp Springs, MD

http://www.mspaviation.org/section_query.asp?choice=2

GOD BLESS THE CREW OF MSP TROOPER 2!

UPDATE: 0220 HRS 9/28/08

"Trooper 2" has been confirmed to have crashed

in the area of Walker Mill Regional Park in District Heights, MD

Four killed and one critically injured is the preliminary from my source in MSP. The helicopter was returning from an MVA in Charles County with 2 patients and another medic from Charles County. The lone survivor is a patient. The crew encountered bad weather while enroute to Prince George's Hosptal and diverted to Andrews to meet with ground units for the remainder of the transport however crashed about 3 miles out.

Our prayers go out to the flight crew, other patient, and their families.

Unfortunately this is a seemingly increasing trend in aeromedical services this year.

May God watch over the familes of those involved. Thoughts and prayers to the families of the fallen and injured, their friends and fellow Officers of the Maryland State Police.

Not much more to say but God Bless The Families. This has to stop happeneing. THis is the 5th that i have heard about THIS YEAR. And i am sure that there were many more that i just didnt hear about. If we can get a Medevac up safely, why cant we get it down the same way?

May they Rest In Peace and thoughts and prayers to the families

Rest In Peace, my prayers are with the families and colleagues of all those involved.

Thoughts and Prayers to the families of those involved as well as to the colleagues of the emergency services personnel. This is yet another sad day, and one that happens all too often. PLEASE be careful out there.

Yet again our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of our fallen brothers, may they rest in peace...

To those who lost their lives in this tragedy Rest in Peace and to their families and colleagues God Bless you all.

I called for MSP helo's many times when I was in Gettysburg, PA. They are the best, always flew over the border.... No questions asked. Flew in all sorts of weather that the helo's from Hershey wouldn't touch.

Very sad. RIP.

I called for MSP helo's many times when I was in Gettysburg, PA. They are the best, always flew over the border.... No questions asked. Flew in all sorts of weather that the helo's from Hershey wouldn't touch.

Very sad. RIP.

I have my admiration for the MSP and grieve for thier loses today and while it is too early to say what the cause of this loss it the aeromedical industry has not had the best safety record over the last several years. The idea that one agency will fly while the other doesn't bacause of higher minimum flight rules has been a factor is several crashes.

Edited by NJMedic

4 Dead in the "Trooper 2" Crash:

- Stephen J. Bunker, 59, Pilot, a Retired State Trooper working as a Civilian Pilot

- Trooper Mickey C. Lippy, 34, an onboard Flight Paramedic

- Tonya Mallard, 39, EMT from Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department

- Ashley J. Younger, 17, a recent High School graduate from Waldorf who was one of the Patients onboard.

- Jordan Wells, 18, another Patient onboard, survived but is in Critical Condition.

FULL STORY

Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8092800644.html

RIP

MSP Troopers are pretty much the best when it comes to medevac, alot of the helicopters run more calls then alot of fire depts around here. They fly in weather that most places would not, it is not known how many people are living today because of these men & woman, especially when alot of area of maryland are far away from trauma centers..

This is the first accident involving MSP troopers since 1986, i have met a couple of the people that fly and they are quite amazing

Date:9/28/08

Time:0200

Departments: Multiple Departments operatiing

Description: State Police Medivac Crashes

Links:

Writer:Truck 831

At Aprox. 0200 hrs Maryland State Police Medivac "Tropper 2" went down in southern PG county killing 4 out of 5 on board. Among those on board were two members from the state police aviation division(TFC Mickey Lippy and Pilot Stephen Bunker), Tonya Mallard a volunteer EMT from the Waldorf fire department, and the two patients that were being transported due to injuries sustained in and automobile accident. The one survivor was one of the two patients being transported the rest of the flight crew and other patient were pronounced DOA. The cause of the crash is still under investigation but sources say that weather had played a key role in this tragic loss. Please keep the families of those who were lost in your prayers.