Followers 0
Geppetto

Without heat or light, family relied on kerosene lantern that exploded

13 posts in this topic

Without heat or light, family relied on kerosene lantern that exploded

Times Herald-Record

By Keith Goldberg

October 09, 2008

MIDDLETOWN -- Prospects are grim for three people severely burned when their kerosene lantern exploded as they were filling it with gasoline....

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...9/NEWS/81009007

The article contradicts itself... Were they filling the kerosene lantern with gasoline or Coleman "liquid gas" (is that propane?)?

Coleman Liquid Fuel used in these camp lanterns is also known as "white gas", which for all intents and purposes is high octane unleaded gasoline.

Coleman fuel is clear, white gas that's similar to gasoline, but much cleaner burning, and is designed for liquid gas camp stoves and lanterns.

What he said.

It is sad that people have to live like that. Lets hope it does not happen again

It is sad that people have to live like that. Lets hope it does not happen again

Unfortunately these types of things will probably happen more frequently especially if the economy continues to slide and high energy prices remain.

We can probably expect to see a spike in the number of fires due to the use of candles for light, and CO incidents because of gas stoves being used or heat, and generators for power, by those who have the no clue to the dangers.

A lot of these cases a going to be the norm in the northeast this winter. A buddy that works on oil burners said he is doing less serviceing and cleanings because of saveing money for the oil bill.

Couple that with people who are going to be burning a lot more wood because it is cheaper than oil... and in the same reasoning defer having the chimney swept because there is no money for that maintenance... more chimney fires I expect?

More arsons because of people who can't afford to own a house anymore.

More arsons because of people who can't afford to own a house anymore.

No, we already took care of that with $840 billion in tax money.

A lot of these cases a going to be the norm in the northeast this winter. A buddy that works on oil burners said he is doing less serviceing and cleanings because of saveing money for the oil bill.

Which is a shame because the annual service can acutally save money on the oil bill. At least crude is below $88/bbl. It's going to be tough for those who have fixed-price contracts puchased over the summer for $4.50+.

It is sad and we're going to see more of this as seniors just cannot afford to buy oil even with it coming down a little. Plus utility bills are going to go up, gas prices, food bills etc.

The worst is yet to come. Wiat until the market goes into the 7 thousands. I'm afraid to even look at my 401K and I'm in what was termed Moderete to safe investments. I have a friend who owns a gas station and I remember him saying last winter he had about 10 or so families who came in daily with gas cans to buy 5 gallons of diesel for heat because they had no credit and could not pay $600 to get a couple of hundred gallons of home heating oil. This year it will be worse. Candles, wood burning stoves, all kinds of liquid fuel heaters. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepaired."

Sorry if I sound negative.

It is sad and we're going to see more of this as seniors just cannot afford to buy oil even with it coming down a little. Plus utility bills are going to go up, gas prices, food bills etc.

The worst is yet to come. Wiat until the market goes into the 7 thousands. I'm afraid to even look at my 401K and I'm in what was termed Moderete to safe investments. I have a friend who owns a gas station and I remember him saying last winter he had about 10 or so families who came in daily with gas cans to buy 5 gallons of diesel for heat because they had no credit and could not pay $600 to get a couple of hundred gallons of home heating oil. This year it will be worse. Candles, wood burning stoves, all kinds of liquid fuel heaters. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepaired."

Sorry if I sound negative.

You're not being negative, it is the way it is, SAD SAD SAD!!