Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kvfd306

Best Commercial Truck Chasis For The Fire Service Market?

22 posts in this topic

what do you think is the best commercial truck chassis used in the fire service?

Ex: international, sterling, mack, peterbuilt, freightliner etc

I can tell you that International is NOT the way to go. I am tired of seeing them in my shop, we cant keep them running. We also have Macks, Sterlings, Peterbilts, Chevy and GMC commercial. I personally like the Sterlings for their great visibility.

It seems like sterling is very popular a lot of departments have chosen the sterling chassis for their tankers. If you look on us tanker's website. And there are many different fields that utilize there chassis besides the fire field.

Edited by texastom791

I always liked Macks. They are durable and great looking, and have a rich tradition in the fire service.

NONE!!!! Commercial Trucks in my opinion should not be in the fire service. They do not hold up well in any type of accident. Custom cabs hold up much better, esp. in rollover situations. Do some research on fire truck accidents (firefighterclosecalls.com, etc) and you will see what happens to commercial cabs. They dont look to good. Custom cabs hold up alot better because they are built for protection of the personel in any type of accident.

It does save money in the long run but is the price tag of a firefighter's life worth it?????

just my 2 cents

sterlings are popular with my department. they are reliable engine wise but we do have electrical problems every now and then especially our 16-2-1

sterlings are popular with my department. they are reliable engine wise but we do have electrical problems every now and then especially our 16-2-1

First define electrical--chassis or with the added on stuff to make it fire apparatus? Depending on the problem--many chassis electrical problems can be caused by the apparatus manufacturer during the "conversion". Personally I would prefer a custom for a variety of reasons--first and foremost the safety aspect but if I had to choose--International, GM, Ford--not the way to go. Sterling is kinda odd to me--looks like a Ford yet some have Dodge similarities. I would lean toward the big boys Mack, Peterbuilt, Kenworth.

NONE!!!! Commercial Trucks in my opinion should not be in the fire service. They do not hold up well in any type of accident. Custom cabs hold up much better, esp. in rollover situations. Do some research on fire truck accidents (firefighterclosecalls.com, etc) and you will see what happens to commercial cabs. They dont look to good. Custom cabs hold up alot better because they are built for protection of the personel in any type of accident.

It does save money in the long run but is the price tag of a firefighter's life worth it?????

just my 2 cents

I totally agree with his comment i think hes right 100%. The only "truck front" apparatus i like is a Mack other then that i dont like anything. I think there very ugly to begin with and like he said they dont hold up well. A much better choice is a Pierce or Seagrave!

I personally prefer the commercial cabs, but my department ran Peterbilts and we ran with a company alot that ran Kenworths, and both have held up well. I'd stay away from the Internationals...

custom cabs are great in fact our 16-4-2 which is an american la france is our most reliable but for some departments that are on a tight budget the custom cabs are not an option. It also depends on the departments needs as well. In putnam 4 wheel drive is essential in winter especially on the narrow roads in kent. I havent seen 4 wheel drive as an option in custom cabs and the flat nose trucks do not handle well in snow at all

First define electrical--chassis or with the added on stuff to make it fire apparatus? Depending on the problem--many chassis electrical problems can be caused by the apparatus manufacturer during the "conversion". Personally I would prefer a custom for a variety of reasons--first and foremost the safety aspect but if I had to choose--International, GM, Ford--not the way to go. Sterling is kinda odd to me--looks like a Ford yet some have Dodge similarities. I would lean toward the big boys Mack, Peterbuilt, Kenworth.

the electricl problem would be the stuff added to make it fire apparatus otherwise everything else works...nothing worse than having a broken siren on the taconic during rush hour and ive heard that the new mack granite is a pretty reliable truck some departments are starting to use this without problems

Edited by kvfd306

our tanker is a freightliner and we love it. It has great turning radius for the tight roads and driveways we have in new fairfield. it handles the 1750gal of water with ease. Comfortable easy driving with plenty of power for the hills!

Edited by Dondestro

MACK!

RIP Mack CF Series

I always liked Macks. They are durable and great looking, and have a rich tradition in the fire service.

I second that. I miss our 1973 Mack. Great rig.

"NONE!!!! Commercial Trucks in my opinion should not be in the fire service."

This is true. While some commercial trucks may be designed for severe service, they are not designed for the fire service. If you did go with a commercial cab, I would look for something that is built as a vocational truck, like the Mack Granite.

"Sterling is kinda odd to me--looks like a Ford"

That is because when Ford got out of the heavy truck market several years ago, the tooling and design was sold to Sterling. Not the original Sterling truck of decades ago, but to, I believe, the same corporation that owns Freightliner and Western Star.

Kenworth and Peterbuilt have the same corporate parent and Volvo and Mack are also owned together.

However, the biggest problem today isn't so much with the trucks themselves buy with the new diesel engines. The pollution control systems have really buggered things up.

International and Freightliner along with a few Sterlings are big in my area. This is because of servicing of the apparatus. None of the Custom manufacturers perse have servicing delaers in the area.

See other message from Daimler about Sterling.

Edited by Reliance

For all you Sterling Fans,

Daimler to drop Sterling truck brand

1 day ago

BERLIN (AP) — Daimler AG said Tuesday that its North American truck division will drop its Sterling brand and end truck production at two plants in the U.S. and Canada by mid-2010 as it moves to deal with depressed demand.

Daimler Trucks North America will discontinue the Sterling Trucks brand next March, but will make additions to its Freightliner and Western Star ranges to cover market segments that the brand has served, the Stuttgart-based parent company said in a statement.

See the rest at:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9JYRQw...putdCgD93Q92DO0

Jet Photo

I guess you didn't see my post about Sterling Trucks just above this one when you posted tthe quote.

Reliance

On a side note in Australia Scania has had a hold of the market for almost 20 years but only now Volvo are creeping back in, it is hard to find a good dual cab that is big enough. It would be good if someone here made custom chassis more but there just wouldn't be demand i don't think.

I agree with fire55 about a custom chassis. As for use. I would break it down to what the rig is to be used for.

Tanker: Mack.

Pumper: Mack.

Rescue: International.

Mid sized pumper: International.

Mini pumper/ light rescue: Ford.

Aerial : Custom chassis.

QUOTEDaimler to drop Sterling truck brand

1 day ago

BERLIN (AP) — Daimler AG said Tuesday that its North American truck division will drop its Sterling brand and end truck production at two plants in the U.S. and Canada by mid-2010 as it moves to deal with depressed demand.

Daimler Trucks North America will discontinue the Sterling Trucks brand next March, but will make additions to its Freightliner and Western Star ranges to cover market segments that the brand has served, the Stuttgart-based parent company said in a statement.

See the rest at:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9JYRQw...putdCgD93Q92DO0

well i guess thats it for sterling they make a pretty nice truck. we got our tanker just in time and i wonder how warranty would work now that the company is shutting down

Edited by kvfd306