Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Texting While Driving- Should It Be Outlawed?

48 posts in this topic

I don't know about different states, but some of the cell phone bans don't apply to texting.

Personally, I feel texting while driving is even more danger....it even caused that massive, multifatal rail collision in Los Angeles a little while back.

Despite being a fast typer, I can barely text....takes me twenty minutes to scroll through the letters and type a word (I hate that!). I don't understand how someone can do it while driving....safely.

Its like all things, some people can do it, some cant. When I am doing 55 in the right lane typing my reply, its no where near as dangerous as the guy doing 75 in the left lane.

I don't know about different states, but some of the cell phone bans don't apply to texting.

Personally, I feel texting while driving is even more danger....it even caused that massive, multifatal rail collision in Los Angeles a little while back.

Despite being a fast typer, I can barely text....takes me twenty minutes to scroll through the letters and type a word (I hate that!). I don't understand how someone can do it while driving....safely.

Yes, it should be.... but then again, what difference would it make?!?!?! Nobody follows the cell phone laws anyway. Heck - besides people follow the example -- I always see cops driving their marked vehicles while talking on the phone...

So... why bother.

Outlaw it completely....it is overly dangerous and I can not tell you the number of my friends that got into accidents ranging from nicks to Stat flight calls due to texting and driving....I believe it is even more dangerous than talking and driving.

Yes, it should be.... but then again, what difference would it make?!?!?! Nobody follows the cell phone laws anyway. Heck - besides people follow the example -- I always see cops driving their marked vehicles while talking on the phone...

So... why bother.

That is another good point....I see more cops talking on cell phones while driving than I do cops checking for speeding.

I think it should definitely be against, the law. But also should be common sense, but apparently no one has any anymore.

Also, be smart and don't check your text messages while driving either.

That is another good point....I see more cops talking on cell phones while driving than I do cops checking for speeding.

Cops talk on their cell phones while driving, big deal. All you see is the cop on his phone, you have no idea what the conversation is about. Perhaps he got a 10-1 or a 10-3 to communications. Many times things are communicated via cell phone as to not tie up the radio with lengthy traffic. Maybe he/she is trying to find out additional info enroute to a job. The NYS VTL exemption for emergency vehicles is there for a reason.

Whats next? You guys gonna be crying about cops talking on their portable radios while driving a car?

Cops talk on their cell phones while driving, big deal. All you see is the cop on his phone, you have no idea what the conversation is about. Perhaps he got a 10-1 or a 10-3 to communications. Many times things are communicated via cell phone as to not tie up the radio with lengthy traffic. Maybe he/she is trying to find out additional info enroute to a job. The NYS VTL exemption for emergency vehicles is there for a reason.

Whats next? You guys gonna be crying about cops talking on their portable radios while driving a car?

While it is true the law exempts emergency services as a whole basically or government personel, and I understand and hear it fairly often for an officer to call the desk. But what are the chances that every officer on his phone while driving a marked patrol vehicle is on the phone with communications. I understand it could happen very often for various reasons, but are we going to assume that every officer is on his phone while driving for official police business?

I admit, texting while driving is extremely dangerous...while I was riding with my brother, we almost got into two accidents because he was texting. Me personally, if my phone goes off for a call, I'll check to see who it is and from that judge if its important...but with texting, I'm either waiting till I get to my destination or a safe place I can pull off to the side and check it. Should texting while driving be against the law, yes...you should either wait or pull over in a safe area...but like many people have said, what are the chances people will follow the law.

You probably shouldnt have a stereo in the car either, a def should not attempt to light a cigarette! Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I have a mental not made that if I am ever in an accident to immediately call 911 to get the time stamp on my phone so that it can be compared to the other guys cell phone records. As for PD on the phone, once again they are responsible for their own actions, its a given that if they hit you while in the performance of their duty its gonna be their fault, unless they are responding then they shouldnt be on the phone, if they are getting specifics it should be ota so everyone hears it.

You probably shouldnt have a stereo in the car either, a def should not attempt to light a cigarette! Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I have a mental not made that if I am ever in an accident to immediately call 911 to get the time stamp on my phone so that it can be compared to the other guys cell phone records. As for PD on the phone, once again they are responsible for their own actions, its a given that if they hit you while in the performance of their duty its gonna be their fault, unless they are responding then they shouldnt be on the phone, if they are getting specifics it should be ota so everyone hears it.

Yeah because now, police policy should be dictated by firefighters and vollie EMS crews. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of times that things aren't aired over the radio and there could be a mulititude of reasons as to why that happens.

No I am a citizen, I was not going to say this but you cant let the sleeping dog... Sure its all a matter of national security. Do not think for a second cause a law says you can do it, you are indemnified, if you do, and god forbid something happens, do not think that the liberal judges in Westchester or Putnam or in NYC are going to excuse the actions that harmed someone else.

Edited by roofsopen

That being said, I do agree with the notion that driving while texting is very dangerous due to the fact that you must take your eyes off the road in order to do so. Should it be outlawed? Absolutley! I'm curious as to how this law would be enforced though. I'm sure as ALL of you on here know, that in order for a violation to be enforced, it must be witnessed by a law enforcement officer. Despite popular belief, most cops don't have the X-Ray vision needed in order to see through car doors as people text message with their phones on their laps. I don't think that checkpoints would be very effective either.

Any ideas? Perhaps a synaptic link between wireless cell phone carrier and the vehicle itself which would prevent the use of the "text" feature while the vehicle is in motion. :rolleyes:

1. It's very obviously a dumb idea (texting while driving I mean)

2. Does it even *need* to be specifically outlawed? Couldn't it be charged under existing laws, on a generic 'careless driving' or 'failing to maintain proper control of the vehicle' law? (I don't know what the exact law would be from state to state of course but I presume every state has some such generic 'bad driving' law?).

Mike

It should be, but it won't stop anyone...just for 10 minutes one day, pay attention to how many people are talking on their hand held cell phones while driving. It is astonishing...nobody really cares!

Cops talk on their cell phones while driving, big deal. All you see is the cop on his phone, you have no idea what the conversation is about.

Yeah because now, police policy should be dictated by firefighters and vollie EMS crews.

Perhaps a synaptic link between wireless cell phone carrier and the vehicle itself which would prevent the use of the "text" feature while the vehicle is in motion.

Sarcasm and arrogance are completely and utterly unjustified. A question was posed, responses were posted, and here you are with the small-minded 'you're attacking my thoughts' position. Everyone has their OWN opinions - it's a fact and way of life. GET OVER IT.

So.... cops talk on their phones while driving.... You are correct -- I/we have no idea what the conversation is about. BUT... how many departments (NY State Police and Dutchess County Sheriff for example) provide cell phones to each and every cop?? If they do, then I would say that is why my taxes are so darn high. I find it hard to believe that a PO will be more than willing to waste his personally paid for minutes on a 10-1 or 10-3 (or 10-5 for that matter). Also, if cell phones are the new means of communications to the dispatchers, why are they still putting $1500 radios in each car and providing $1000 portables??? There is a time and a place for the 'important' work related call for official business, but... well... prove it.

Next.

Where, oh where did you get the "dictated by firefighters and vollie......."??? WTF??? Though it is your opinion, get over the paid/vol thing.

As for a synaptic link.... grow up.

But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It should be, but it won't stop anyone...just for 10 minutes one day, pay attention to how many people are talking on their hand held cell phones while driving. It is astonishing...nobody really cares!

You're right. No one does care. You have guys running steady red lights on their way home at night because they had a "long/hard" tour in the radio room. And these are the people that are supposed to know better.

I did a paper on this. Its absolutely incontrovertibly more dangerous (my opinion.) Pursuant to the nys vat law, holding a mobile telephone, while your vehicle is in motion, to your ear or in immediate proximity of your ear, will be presumed that your engaging in a call.

<snip>

In 2006 (latest published), there were 357 mva's involving hand held cell phones. 3 of which were fatal, 222 piaa's and 132 property damage. Also in 2006 there were 50 mva's involving hands free cell phones. 0 fatalites, 30 piaa's and 20 property damage.

I can't find you a link right now, but you might find it interesting to look at some of the latest European research. To sum up, what they've found is that hand-held or hands-free makes no difference. It's being engaged in a telephone conversation that causes attention to wander and that's when people get in wrecks.

The law banning hand-held cellphones is bad and wrong and I think most people know this in their guts, and that's why it's so widely disrespected. I've said it before, the only logical ways to go, based on hard science, are to ban ALL cellphone use, hand-held or hands-free, or accept the 'hit' and allow ALL cellphone use. It's for society to make that call, and politicians to act on it. The present nonsense half-way house of banning only handhelds is pretty universally ignored, widely ridiculed, and almost never enforced, and that's never a good combination for breeding respect for the law.

Mike

Sarcasm and arrogance are completely and utterly unjustified. A question was posed, responses were posted, and here you are with the small-minded 'you're attacking my thoughts' position. Everyone has their OWN opinions - it's a fact and way of life. GET OVER IT.

So.... cops talk on their phones while driving.... You are correct -- I/we have no idea what the conversation is about. BUT... how many departments (NY State Police and Dutchess County Sheriff for example) provide cell phones to each and every cop?? If they do, then I would say that is why my taxes are so darn high. I find it hard to believe that a PO will be more than willing to waste his personally paid for minutes on a 10-1 or 10-3 (or 10-5 for that matter). Also, if cell phones are the new means of communications to the dispatchers, why are they still putting $1500 radios in each car and providing $1000 portables??? There is a time and a place for the 'important' work related call for official business, but... well... prove it.

Next.

Where, oh where did you get the "dictated by firefighters and vollie......."??? WTF??? Though it is your opinion, get over the paid/vol thing.

As for a synaptic link.... grow up.

But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sarcasm maybe, arrogance not at all. Being that everyone indeed does have an opinion on how or what the police should do, I'm still waiting for ideas as to how this "no texting" law would be enforced.

As far as cops using their personal phones to make offical/on duty calls. Newsflash, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I'm not inclined to prove ANYTHING to you or anyone else as to why we do things the way we do it but there is alot of sensitive information that comes over the air at times and I'm sure as many of you know, for perps to have scanners isn't unheard of.

I doubt that your taxes are as high as you claim them to be due to the fact that the PD in your area outfits its officers with phones. I bet you a bigger chunk of your taxes goes to keeping the fire department up and running. Then again, even a volunteer fire captain is entitled to her opinion.

Sarcasm maybe, arrogance not at all. Being that everyone indeed does have an opinion on how or what the police should do, I'm still waiting for ideas as to how this "no texting" law would be enforced.

As far as cops using their personal phones to make offical/on duty calls. Newsflash, IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I'm not inclined to prove ANYTHING to you or anyone else as to why we do things the way we do it but there is alot of sensitive information that comes over the air at times and I'm sure as many of you know, for perps to have scanners isn't unheard of.

I doubt that your taxes are as high as you claim them to be due to the fact that the PD in your area outfits its officers with phones. I bet you a bigger chunk of your taxes goes to keeping the fire department up and running. Then again, even a volunteer fire captain is entitled to her opinion.

Those that are being elected into office are the ones to find a way to enforce a no texting law. Perhaps look at Connecticut's law.

Cops using personal phones for business.... I know it happens... but I also know that when you see 10 police cars in an hour with each PO on the phone while driving -- prove to me that it's all business all the time.

As for being a Volunteer Fire Captain - I (am a guy by the way) am entitled to my opinion, as are you. But my opinion, and the opinions of others, need not be attacked with sarcasm and arrogance (yes, arrogance). As an FD Chief often says, QTIP.

If it's not safe for a civilian to talk on the phone or text while driving... what makes a cop any better??? As you know, police cars have radios (not AM/FM), laptops, sirens, light controls, etc.... These are more of a distraction than a cell phone is. Now try talking on the phone while listening to the radio ensuring that you don't miss a call and watching the computer for messages that pop up on the screen so as to avoid the use of the radio.... is the cell phone just something else to distract an already distracted driver?? All of the EVOC classes you take will not make you able to do everything at once - in fact when I took EVOC, the main point was to pay attention to the road and vehicles around you.

I think we're done beating this one to death. A simple question turned into this -- I just don't get it.

Cops using personal phones for business.... I know it happens... but I also know that when you see 10 police cars in an hour with each PO on the phone while driving -- prove to me that it's all business all the time.

Prove to me that it isn't business.

As for being a Volunteer Fire Captain - I (am a guy by the way) am entitled to my opinion, as are you. But my opinion, and the opinions of others, need not be attacked with sarcasm and arrogance (yes, arrogance). As an FD Chief often says, QTIP.

You're the one that seems to be taking things personal. I'm not attacking your opinion or that of anyone else's. I'm just stating things from my point of view. Rather than telling me not to take things personal, perhaps you should grow some thicker skin.

If it's not safe for a civilian to talk on the phone or text while driving... what makes a cop any better???

What makes us better? Well for one training and two the fact that the majority of a cops day is spent behind the wheel driving under all sorts of stressful and adverse weather conditions. Something which is foreign to the fire service.

Bottomline is that there are certain things that the Police CAN do that the average citizen/civil service worker cannot. Its really not for you or anyone else to question whether that officer is on the line with HQ, his command or his girlfriend. Its not up to you to judge whether or not that officer can handle a vehicle while speaking on a handheld phone. As a volunteer fire captain I don't think you'd take to kindly if you had the postman telling you where to stretch your handlines or how to position your ladder trucks.

A simple question turned into this -- I just don't get it.

It got to this point because you like many others took to the "well if the cops can do it, so can I" defense. Fact of the matter is, NO YOU CAN'T. The sooner you accept that the better off you'll be.

JMHO

Does anyone stand outside your office and scrutinize your every move?

Does anyone tell you that you're typing too fast or spent too much time on a coffee break or at lunch?

Do people stare at you in your office and question whether or not you're completing an important contract or surfing the 'net?

Do people see you standing with a colleague and accuse you of being lazy or incompetent or shirking your responsibilities?

Does anyone care if you're on the phone with a client or your wife?

A police car is a cops office for eight hours a day. He/she basically sits in a fish bowl enabling all of their critics (and apparently many members of EMTBravo) to judge them and criticize them for using the phone or driving too fast or going through a red light.

Can a cop use his or her cell phone while driving? What possible difference does it make to you?

If a cop has an accident while going through a red light or speeding without being enroute to a call, it's on them. Unless they hit you what possible difference does it make?

Given that today is election day, it only seems appropriate to ask: Do you scrutinize the actions of your elected officials half as much as you do your local police?

Glass houses everyone, glass houses! If you live in one don't throw cell phones!

A police car is a cops office for eight hours a day. He/she basically sits in a fish bowl enabling all of their critics (and apparently many members of EMTBravo) to judge them and criticize them for using the phone or driving too fast or going through a red light.

Glass houses everyone, glass houses! If you live in one don't throw cell phones!

Try being a volunteer and see the crap some people write about us on here.. Then talk about scrutinization and being placed under a microscope.

Just like talking on the phone...tough to enforce. Way too many cars...not enough cops. I do believe it is dangerous and feel your hands belong on the wheel. JMHO.

Does anyone stand outside your office and scrutinize your every move?

Does anyone tell you that you're typing too fast or spent too much time on a coffee break or at lunch?

Do people stare at you in your office and question whether or not you're completing an important contract or surfing the 'net?

Do people see you standing with a colleague and accuse you of being lazy or incompetent or shirking your responsibilities?

Does anyone care if you're on the phone with a client or your wife?

As a matter of fact, yes. That is what my manager's job is.

And there are laws that say that you can't drive while speaking on a phone without a hands-free device. I work with people who's vehicles are their office for 8 hours a day - they have to abide by the law... whether they are doing business or calling their wife. Why can't cops use a hands-free device???

Can a cop use his or her cell phone while driving? What possible difference does it make to you?

The difference to me is that there are laws enacted for a purpose... and they are designed to be a general rule, and not ones that exempt people based on the car that they are driving.

If a cop has an accident while going through a red light or speeding without being enroute to a call, it's on them. Unless they hit you what possible difference does it make?

it's on them??? So do they get a ticket??? Do they get fined??? Unless there is damage, harm, or gross negligence witnessed by their boss, what really happens???

Given that today is election day, it only seems appropriate to ask: Do you scrutinize the actions of your elected officials half as much as you do your local police?

As a matter of fact, I do... Does the phrase "...elected By the People, For the People" mean anything???

So... it's OK for the gang to assault Vollie FF's and EMS workers on this board.... but when the PD is addressed.........................

What a farce.

How about instead of worrying about the gang assaults you come back with a better argument. Cops are also allowed to carry a gun in any State they want. Why cant I? I can shoot just as well if not better than most of the cops I go to the range with. They are not legally allowed to arrest anyone outside of their State anymore so than I am. Do I do it, no, cause its against the law. Just keep two hands on the wheel, and if a cop hits you, which I highly doubt will happen, I hope you both are not injured.

Try being a volunteer and see the crap some people write about us on here.. Then talk about scrutinization and being placed under a microscope.

You want some cheese with that wine? If you have never talked on you cell phone or texted while driving then that is great for you. If you talk on your cell phone or text and get a ticket well you got caught. I TALK ON MY CELL ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN I AM NOT AT WORK. I got pulled over, got let go, but got a flat tire right after so I guess that was MY PUNISHMENT. Can we pull over every person on the road talking on their cell phones? HELL NO. Not enough COPS. And if you b*tch about COPS talking on their CELL PHONES while at work go and take the test and you can do it also.

Too many babies on this site. I saw this and I want that. GET OVER IT.

In a word - yes.

Too many people are getting into accidents because they aren't paying attention. You're operating a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds. Add in the speed of the vehicle, reaction time and roadway conditions, the driver texting away and you have a recipe for disaster!

If you're driving, that's all you should be doing.

As far as cops on their cell phones - how much different is that then if they are on their radio talking to dispatch?? To me it's a non-issue.

When I am responding to calls in my Chief's car, I rarely bring my cell let alone use it. There's too many things for me to pay attention to to worry if my phone is ringing and someone is calling to tell me "I didn't hear the call," knowing they probably got the I-page....

Edited by Remember585

Texting while driving see LA California train accident last month I believe, and they don't even have to steer those things.

As a matter of fact, yes. That is what my manager's job is.

And the police have sergeants, lieutenants, captains, and a chief or commissioner. I don't walk in off the street to criticize the way you conduct yourself in your office.

And there are laws that say that you can't drive while speaking on a phone without a hands-free device. I work with people who's vehicles are their office for 8 hours a day - they have to abide by the law... whether they are doing business or calling their wife. Why can't cops use a hands-free device???

Some do.

The difference to me is that there are laws enacted for a purpose... and they are designed to be a general rule, and not ones that exempt people based on the car that they are driving.

Then exemptions shouldn't be written into the law - but again that's the fault of the legislators not the cops or others who use those exemptions.

it's on them??? So do they get a ticket??? Do they get fined??? Unless there is damage, harm, or gross negligence witnessed by their boss, what really happens???

Sometimes they do get tickets and fined. It all depends. Every police involved accident (in my department) results in an internal review regardless of criminal or VTL charges and disciplinary charges may be brought against an officer if the review panel deems it warranted. It doesn't require gross negligence for that to happen. Some departments are even more strict (and yes, some are much less strict).

As a matter of fact, I do... Does the phrase "...elected By the People, For the People" mean anything???

Good for you! I wish everyone did. And my point is holding them accountable between elections.

So... it's OK for the gang to assault Vollie FF's and EMS workers on this board.... but when the PD is addressed.........................

What a farce.

Assault? Come on, really? There are plenty of discussions that question the actions of police/fire/EMS on this board and it isn't an assault. If you want to criticize the PD for something substantive, have at it. I'll probably agree with you. I just think the cell phone argument is a waste of time - we can agree to disagree on that point. I just presented my opinion, nothing more.

I've been a volunteer and know that there are pitfalls in the system - but that's no state secret! I think we should all be advocates for the right system instead of defenders of an ailing one just because we're volunteers. A heart attack is serious and doesn't care if the person treating it is a volunteer or paid and a fire will kill a volunteer just as fast a career guy. We all need to get over the "volunteer defense" and start recognizing problems as problems in need of a solution.

You want some cheese with that wine? If you have never talked on you cell phone or texted while driving then that is great for you. If you talk on your cell phone or text and get a ticket well you got caught. I TALK ON MY CELL ALL THE TIME EVEN WHEN I AM NOT AT WORK. I got pulled over, got let go, but got a flat tire right after so I guess that was MY PUNISHMENT. Can we pull over every person on the road talking on their cell phones? HELL NO. Not enough COPS. And if you b*tch about COPS talking on their CELL PHONES while at work go and take the test and you can do it also.

Too many babies on this site. I saw this and I want that. GET OVER IT.

Relax chief.. I dont take offense.. Do I care if a cop is on the phone for watever reason while he is driving? No.. I could care less so long as he was doing his job. and I hasve been ticketed for no seatbelt by a state trooper who was pulling out of a gas station and on his cell.. was I pissed... yeah that I got nailed for a ticket. As far as a whine... You get paid to do your job, why do you care if people b*tch? If it bothers you so much you can resign and allow someone else to take on the responsibility.